What adds to wealth, how much and how to keep wealth low

Started by noel1, June 21, 2016, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noel1

Hello,

I'm struggling to find any information on what adds to wealth and how much and how to reduce it or keep it low.

Does for instance research add to wealth?

Help.

AN7AG0NIS7

I'm not completely sure but I think everything physical is accountable. Loot, food, materials lying around in stockpiles, things that you built, furniture, walls, everything.. Probably.

I read before that some people de-zone their stockpiles. I also read before that some people resort to burning loot they have no use for with a molotov to keep their wealth down. Sooo yeah..

brucethemoose

Loot is supposed to be what the AI uses to balance the game. It isn't shown directly for a reason... be careful trying to manipulate is, as you can end up cheesing the game.

I think you can reduce it by removing expensive things from your "home" zone and dezoning stockpiles.

Tynan

The idea that storytellers use only (or even primarily) wealth to determine how to scale threats is a myth.

The algorithm is quite a bit more complex than that and takes into account wealth, population, defensive strength, and several factors related to the time since the colony has taken damage, had people downed, or been at given population counts.

It would probably be a waste to spend a bunch of time trying to cheese wealth lower. Just enjoy the game.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ro.othorick

Quote from: Tynan on June 22, 2016, 12:01:32 AM
The idea that storytellers use only (or even primarily) wealth to determine how to scale threats is a myth.

The algorithm is quite a bit more complex than that and takes into account wealth, population, defensive strength, and several factors related to the time since the colony has taken damage, had people downed, or been at given population counts.

It would probably be a waste to spend a bunch of time trying to cheese wealth lower. Just enjoy the game.

Still worth talking about wealth mechanics. I've always been a bit puzzled by the "Very Low / Low Expectations" moodlets and exactly what a room "fit" for a greedy person would be.

BlackSmokeDMax

Seems like Milon has been trying to debunk this for ages. Hopefully this new post of yours will help him in his endless war!

Wex

Speaking of wealth, how much does a greedy colonist need to be happy? The best I got was a -3 reaction, with statues and a royal bed.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Wex on June 22, 2016, 08:24:29 AM
Speaking of wealth, how much does a greedy colonist need to be happy? The best I got was a -3 reaction, with statues and a royal bed.

Thought they just needed more than other people, so maybe try lowering values of the fellow colonists to increase the difference.

cultist

Quote from: Wex on June 22, 2016, 08:24:29 AM

I can see where the confusion comes from, but wealth doesn't actually satisfy greedy colonists. Or rather, wealth is only a part of it. What you need to look at is the room's impressiveness (the first stat). This is a combination of wealth, space, cleanliness and beauty. So in order to satisfy a greedy colonist, you need a large-ish (5x6 is usually enough, you can go lower if you can boost the other stats high enough), clean, beautiful room with valuable items/furniture.

The flavor text for the Greedy buff/debuff sort of hints at this: "I'm greedy. I want a really impressive bedroom!"

Wex

Ok, now it's clearer. The room is in fact a standard issue 5x5 room.
But I am happier with her -3 debuff (pacifist pawn) than the -8 of my best shooter's jealousy.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

mzbear

This is nonsense, at least for alpha14.

Wealth IS the primary source of threat points. Although colonists are part of the equation, they essentially count as 3636 silver worth of threat each which can be less than the value of some artworks. In my games, in the beginning the colonists count for ~50% of the threat points (especially since the first 2000 wealth doesn't generate threat) and later the colonists have usually contributed something like 10% of the threat points.

Defensive strength isn't part of the equation. Time since colony has taken damage is not part of the equation. Other than slow ramp-up multiplier that increases over time and gets pushed down a notch whenever colonists are killed or incapacitated, no historical values are part of the equation.

All haulable items in visible parts of the map and the apparel worn by your colonists are counted as your wealth in full market value. Your buildings are counted at half their market value.

You're welcome to reverse engineer StoryTellerUtility::DefaultParmsNow() to check out the algorithm if you disagree.

Shurp

So turret spam is still the best way to defend your base.  And now that we can wheel turrets and batteries around they can be useful against ship parts and sieges too!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

DoomBudgie

You do realize that the person you just quoted is the author of the game, right?

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: DoomBudgie on August 06, 2016, 02:00:27 PM

You do realize that the person you just quoted is the author of the game, right?
Shhh... it's funny watching him tell Tynan to reverse engineer it. :)

FalconBR

20 years of gaming and this is the first time I see someone claiming to know more about the game then the game developer!