"Go to bed early"

Started by colonistPally, February 20, 2014, 02:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

There seriously needs to be a "go to bed early" option.

I had 2 raids back to back, both of which I fended off. But having to keep my guys and gals in "soldier mode" for so long pretty much sent them all to the brink, then of course the dead body debuff, seeing people die debuff, and the place now being messy (with blood) debuff...... I almost lost my colony. So I had to rescue them in all various ways and get them to bed, when then they started to starve.

If I could have sent them all to bed EARLY I could have fed them all, but no can do.

Go to bed early would prioritize over all jobs, hell it could even BE a job. a Sleep job that's top priority, call it recuperate or something, I don't know. I literally almost lost half my colonists solely because they were distraught and wouldn't go to bed. I cancelled all of their work, then they just wandered aimlessly until the various mental scripts kicked in.

Since we don't have a social house yet and we don't have a counselor job yet, can we please at least put them to bed early so we can start to manage their recovery? :( Pleeeeeeeeeeeease! Let us override everything and just put them to bed.

TimMartland

'Its past your bedtime young man!'
'But...but...I want to haul this metal.'
'No discussion, off to bed this instant!'

This would be a really useful feature, as my colonists just love to take moonlight strolls with their metal.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Nasikabatrachus

Are you 100% that they all had beds available? Usually my biggest issue is keeping colonists awake at critical times, which I accomplish by turning all their beds into prison beds. Otherwise, when I need a colonist to sleep I just recruit them and unrecruit them and they'll go sleep. But yeah, an option to prioritize sleeping/relaxation for individual colonists would be nice.

colonistPally

Quote from: TimMartland on February 20, 2014, 03:06:13 PM
This would be a really useful feature, as my colonists just love to take moonlight strolls with their metal.

Yes mine like to mine well through midnight. Happy little miners!!!  But then they get too far away and get upset. :(

htoxborrow

Quote from: colonistPally on February 20, 2014, 02:58:16 PM
Go to bed early would prioritize over all jobs, hell it could even BE a job.

How about a curfew that allows you to prioritize the hours of the day? As an advanced option perhaps, I enjoy semi intelligent colonists. Or there could be a tech that allows you to declare/toggle a state of emergency that makes all colonists prioritize eating and sleeping over all tasks so that they can be drafted for longer.

IMHO adding abstract jobs will over complicate the job system.
When in doubt Ad Hominem like its your only hope for validation.

colonistPally

It doesn't literally have to be a job, it just has to over prioritize everything.

Also I think a curfew function would work great as a companion to this. So after a battle, I could just set everyone to bed, with maybe 2 medics going until they feel like sleeping.

TimMartland

Quote from: colonistPally on February 20, 2014, 10:43:48 PM
It doesn't literally have to be a job, it just has to over prioritize everything.

Also I think a curfew function would work great as a companion to this. So after a battle, I could just set everyone to bed, with maybe 2 medics going until they feel like sleeping.

Lol. 'Good work team! As a reward, no work tomorrow! Go home and sleep.'
'Yayy!'
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

colonistPally

Quote from: TimMartland on February 21, 2014, 09:55:11 AM
Quote from: colonistPally on February 20, 2014, 10:43:48 PM

Lol. 'Good work team! As a reward, no work tomorrow! Go home and sleep.'
'Yayy!'

Exactly!!!! And it'd default to social the next day and everyone'd break out the moonshine and square dance and liaison. :)

Now we just need those social buildings! :)

IncognitoMode

I agree with the setting of shifts... This ties in so, so nicely with the idea of guards.

rsdworker

yeah i like shifts - you set the time for groups - would be better to tell two groups to swap and one goes off and one goes on

htoxborrow

That would mean that someone is almost always working at night, unless they were well adjusted to the dark, in a “happy colony” that would make the night shift closer to breaking and a potential liability.

But groups would be an awesome way to organize the labor. I'm always referring to the roster to try and find my nobles and vat assassins and keeping my miners and growers out of the fray. If I could just toggle one group to generally avoid combat or to go to bed I'd have the makings of a nice little caste system.
When in doubt Ad Hominem like its your only hope for validation.

colonistPally

Hm also if you had shifts you could have the miners work nights, so they could sleep all day. Maybe they'd get more mining done having free run of the place without everyone in the way. Then construction could go on during the day after they've cleared out and gone to bed.. I like that idea!

tbrass

Day 98. My happy* little band of cannibals is on the brink of complete mental collapse. Some of them are complaining of the food (and shouldn't, mwahaha). Others of the stress related to defending our colony from the nearly constant raids. There is no break and the simple pleasures aren't cutting it anymore.

Proposed: a go the fuck to sleep** action. Say, right click on the colonist's bed and a little action item pops up: prioritize sleeping. Please: if my colonists aren't smart enough to take a nap at 1400, when they are so tired they are about to collapse, I need to do this for them. I'd prefer that they figure it out and prioritize sleep/food over other concerns when they are on the edge of mental break, but they don't.

*they have set a Donner (Dinner) Party for about 80 of those, so they really ought to be okay with cannibalism by now. In fact, they ought to be closely bonded over their newfound culinary ambitions. All except for Alice. She is a prude. She should be a vegetarian and on the brink of killing everyone out of disgust ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

** if you don't know anyone with small children, you may not have seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENjKi7NkTNE

SSS

I've had a similar situation- except this time, they wouldn't eat despite the fact that they were starving to death (-50 debuff!). There were berries everywhere. A force-feed option would be just as welcome as a force-sleep option.