Modding and how to?

Started by Bakinbaconpancakes, June 27, 2016, 07:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakinbaconpancakes

Hey, I've got tons of experience and countless hours put into playing video games but not once have i looked into modding... now that I have all it is, is "how to mod, have you heard you're son/daughter mutter the words "Minecraft would be so great if it just..." well send them here where they'll..." like no.. haha I'm literally just being thrown a bunch of crap and I really cant seem to sift out the good stuff... really just hoping anyone on here would have some good links or even beginners advice on anything that'd help, programs if there even is any, note I really don't know much into coding either but it just seems like something I'd really be willing to throw a lot of time into with summer here. anything helps, thx -Bakinbaconpancakes

Jaxxa

Having lots of time is a very helpful thing.

In general you will get a better response if you try something on your own, and ask for specific help if you get stuck rather than asking general open ended questions on how to do something. Say what you have tried and what the problems are, this helps to show you are not just asking for people to spoon feed you everything.

I am amusing that when you say that you have not looked into modding you are only referring to creating mods and that you have used mods before.

Start looking at mods that you like or are similar to what you want to do, see how they work and make small modifications to them and see how that goes. (Privately, dont just upload other peoples mods with minor changes. )

If you cant thin of anything my easiest mod to look into would be OmniGel (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207274#msg207274) It covers creating a new Plant, that produces a new resource, new workbenches and Research without any C# Coding.

Figure out what you want to do and keep it simple to start off with. What mod would you like to make, probably stick to XML changes and steer away for C# for a while until you get the hang of the basics.

RawCode

No mod currently posted is obfuscated in any way, same for game.
yeld stuff and iterations is not form of obfuscation and just ask you to perform some work, nothing more nothing less.

Most time\energy efficient method of learning is reseaching work of other people.
Sadly, this way is not "skill" efficient.

You may read many books about engeneering something, may discuss subject for days, but nothing is compared to holding working prototype in your own hands.
Especially if you can disassemble it and see how exactly it works.

At same time, nothing is compared to making prototype yourself, step by step, block by block, using only your own skill and knowledge, instead of copypasting work of other individuals.

1) Open released mods branch of forum.
2) Downloads mods you like
3) Play them
4) Check how things are done
5) Ask on forums or developer directly if you hit question that cannot be solved by google
6) Do your own mod about similar subject, reuse "steal" any data you like, it's ok on production stage, you always can replace placeholders later

Plan B
1) Just do it self, without asking anyone.
it's perfectly possible to learn java, c#, c, c++, lua, assembler and javascript without asking ever single question to living person, all your questions are already solved and solution can be found in google.

When you reach specific level, you will know how to solve your question ever without google.