Late Game Economy

Started by Rim soldier, July 02, 2016, 06:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rim soldier

So I am about 5 years into my most recrnt colony and i have basicaly striped the map bare of steel/platesteel (ect). I have been able to keep going ok by selling beer and buying the steel I need but that dosnt leave any money left for emergencies (such as a colonist needing a bionic arm/transplant). So what should i do to make my economy better?
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the humans in the area have been driven insane.

harpo99999

if you have any high art pawns try stone sculptures(can generate hundreds if not thousands of silver), or what ever resource you have the most of

Rim soldier

Yeah i did used to have a level 12 artist but they got shot in the brain and the only thing i can use them for now is cleaning :(
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the humans in the area have been driven insane.

Listy

Quote from: Rim soldier on July 02, 2016, 06:30:00 AM
So I am about 5 years into my most recrnt colony and i have basicaly striped the map bare of steel/platesteel (ect). I have been able to keep going ok by selling beer and buying the steel I need but that dosnt leave any money left for emergencies (such as a colonist needing a bionic arm/transplant). So what should i do to make my economy better?

Mass produce corn, then flog it to Bulk goods traders. Also be happy when ever someone drop pod assaults your map. Free Steel!

I'd love to have crafting for the late game, IE power armour and weapons, but have you seen the cost of components. Its punitively high.

Wex

Go for pure money crops, like cotton.
You won't use it unless you want it used, so it's a nice comodity to fall bacon.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

re1wind

Quote from: Wex on July 02, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
Go for pure money crops, like cotton.
You won't use it unless you want it used, so it's a nice comodity to fall bacon.
Fall bacon? Hmmm...bacon in the autumn...

( "fall back on" is what you're probably trying to say)

Wex

Yes. Thanks to autocorrect, now we have the "fall bacon"! A new speciality from our stores!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Thane

Mechs and traders for components. Steel, silver and plasteel from fallen weapons, and lots of sculptures. That's about the long and short of it. Smelt steel slag when things get tight!

My 7 year colony is going strong as I try to save enough steel to send a ship off for the 20 plus colonists. Of course saving like this leads to even STRONGER raids which bring more delicious mats, which makes the going easier, but strains the already stressed defensive line and if one more of my aging population loses an eye there will be more people who can't see than can...

And hah! There isn't a single bit of mountain left standing on my map! I have hauled all the marble and granite leaving me with only limestone as building material.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Tynan

I've been thinking of a way to mine minerals from the ground. Because mineral exhaustion in long games is a real problem.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mihsan

Before A13 it was OK. But now we need much more steel than ever because of ability to craft guns, armor and components. Recycling now gives barely enough steel to survive; there is oblivious deficit of steel now on late stages.

Quote from: Tynan on July 02, 2016, 06:58:34 PM
I've been thinking of a way to mine minerals from the ground. Because mineral exhaustion in long games is a real problem.
This would be nice.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Shurp

*cough* Z-levels *cough*

But to keep with the existing theme and programming, you could create an automated mining structure.  With all the geothermal vents around it's too hot or poisonous for colonists to go underground, right?  But automated digging machines could root out minerals.  You manufacture the entry structure, then make the mechanoid miner, drop it in, and a day or two later it comes out with some steel.  And if you disturb a hive you get bugs too!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mutineer

If you have good ability to grow stuff - animals could produce very expensive wool which could be converted to even more expensive clothes.

One trick, if you develop a good tailor - strip your colonist of most clothes when trader come which buy them. Help you to keep colonist dress in new one's. Other reminder, it is a good idea to have separate  dress code for summer, winter and otum/spring. Parka reduce work speed by 20%, do not wear them when it is not cold or for colonist that do not go outside mach. Jakets are good enougth, only slow movement speed.
In summer they do not need even that, T-shorts are enough. You can greatly increase your colony productivity that way.

Wex

Quote from: Tynan on July 02, 2016, 06:58:34 PM
I know for sure there was a mod that allowed this. Alpha 7 or 8 if I am not mistaken.
    Harlan Ellison

Mihsan

Quote from: Mutineer on July 02, 2016, 10:58:22 PM
If you have good ability to grow stuff - animals could produce very expensive wool which could be converted to even more expensive clothes.
"Getting money" is not a problem (art, crafting or even simple farming... we all know that). The problem is "getting stable supply of steel".

Right now getting steel on late stages is 100% bounded to trading. Which is far from perfect.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Shurp

But as I keep repeating (and repeating (and repeating (...))) trading is fixable :)

Is an "earthquake" mod possible?  Terrain is clearly changeable (we get rid of mountain all the time when we mine).  How about a mod to randomly add a chunk of mountain every 15 days?  And if your colonist happens to be in the wrong place at the time, oopsie, that's Rimworld.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.