Job interface suggestion

Started by UsF, October 12, 2013, 10:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UsF

In the videos that I have seen, the overall job interface shows the checkboxes for people and what they can work on. I think it would be nice that instead of checkboxes, there should either be white numbers, indicating their skill when the job is disabled, green numbers to show that they are enabled or red X to show that they cannot work the job, because of limitations. It would make it very easy to see the skill of a person and set the jobs accordingly.

I do not know if this would cause problem with colorblind players though. One way to solve this would be to add the enabled-disabled icons as a small icon next to the number instead of the numbers replacing it completely. I just would like to have the numbers there in general to make it convenient for the player to set up his people.

British

Just to make it clear, the "numbers" you are talking about, is it the colonist's proficiency with that skill ?

If so, I'd go on a limb and say that in terms of gameplay, it's easier for players to first see if a skill usability is toggled or not, and then, by hovering the checkbox, to see the actual skill numbers.
As I understand the philosophy behind Tynan's way of developing, this would complicate things to have a list of numbers... you know: too much information kills the information.

I like the idea of having a clear visual information regarding which skills are disabled, though.

Pheanox

I actually really like the visual cues Tynan used for skill ability in the Overview.  The slowly brightening boxes is a very elegant way of showing quickly how skilled someone is at the job, and providing quick access to information in a very digestible way..  Also, if you aren't able to do the skill, the box isn't even there to be checked.  I can't remember if that color coding is in the Work tab for each colonist, but I would suggest it be if it isn't.

UsF

I have not noticed the other queue of the brighter checkbox so far. I also haven't played the game yet, so I am going from information that I saw. I think it was in Blitz's video, where every checkbox looked identical and I did not really see any difference. Apologies if there are already ways to distinguish it.

Yes a specific number if you hover over it would also be nice, if the checkboxes give a good indication/overview of skill levels anyway.

DNK

Dwarf Therapist: the box has a square within it the size of which is determined by skill. A small, 4-pixel square would be limited skill, while an almost full box would be the highest (or a diamond for that). Then you can click on the box to turn the white area green.

It works really well. Additionally, you can set up "professions" to help you group characters, then use toggles for the whole group to set job permissions for everyone within with a single click.

miah999

Just to confirm the work check boxes are color coded.
No box = No skill
Dark Grey Box = Skill level 1
Medium Grey Box = Skill Level 2
Light Grey Box = Skill Level 3-4
White Box (Silver) = Skill Level 5-6
Dull Yellow (Bronze) = Skill Level 7-8
Bright Yellow (Gold) = Skill Level 10-and up

There is also a tool tip that will give specific info when you hover over a check box.

Pheanox

Thanks for the screenshot, miah, will help making that point a lot easier from now on!

miah999

Quote from: Pheanox on October 13, 2013, 11:52:07 PM
Thanks for the screenshot, miah, will help making that point a lot easier from now on!

I aim to please. :)

Spike

Quote from: miah999 on October 13, 2013, 11:44:15 PM
Just to confirm the work check boxes are color coded.
No box = No skill
Dark Grey Box = Skill level 1
Medium Grey Box = Skill Level 2
Light Grey Box = Skill Level 3-4
White Box (Silver) = Skill Level 5-6
Dull Yellow (Bronze) = Skill Level 7-8
Bright Yellow (Gold) = Skill Level 10-and up

There is also a tool tip that will give specific info when you hover over a check box.

With this info and a clear screenshot, I'm happy with the way the Skills are shown.  What I would like to see is an easier way to check on other aspects that could fit into the Overview, specifically combat options and prisoner treatment.  These came out of the discussion over in the Ideas-Drafting thread.

The current setup isn't too bad when you have few colonists; but I could see it being a pain to use when you get over 10 or so.  On the Military tab, you could see skills (and maybe it would be better to show the number), weapon carried, and what equipment is unassigned.  To draft a batch of people, you just check the ones you want in the first column and click the "Draft" button.  This would make it easier for the player to compare skills, make sure that the best fighters have the best weapons, and draft a batch of folks at once.

Another thought to expand on the Overview window would be to add a "Prisoner" tab, so you could toggle treatment options for all prisoners from one place.  This would be easier than clicking each individual, and make it less likely that someone would be accidentally ignored.

[/quote]

Pheanox

Great photoshop, Spike, and that would be a great addition to the game, I think.