Steam Trolls!

Started by Elixiar, July 15, 2016, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

The early reviews for this game are impressive.

But there are those among steam that would serve no real reason to down vote other than to **** on the sandcastle. Some have already tried to do so.
We must squash them. Legitimate reviews are fine but for once, at least, for a time! Let us finally show steam that a true game worthy of its platform has arrived!

Praise Tynan!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Bastobasto

Still 99% love it,one of them is because of the multiplay and the other is a complete stupid troll.There is also the last one is because he crash and he didnt even asked help.

Nareese

Quote from: Elixiar on July 15, 2016, 06:11:17 PM
They are in fact so impressive that people think they are fake.  Never mind that you have to OWN the game to write a review... LOL

Can't win no matter what.

Gennadios

Please don't.  I've written legitimate negative reviews for indie darlings on steam because I had genuine issues that I felt others might need to know about, and I learned the hard way to disable comments.

The reviews are glowing as it is, please no trolling/harassing dissenters whether you feel the negative reviews are legitimate or not.

top_hat_tomato

Quote from: Gennadios on July 15, 2016, 09:26:02 PM
Please don't.  I've written legitimate negative reviews for indie darlings on steam because I had genuine issues that I felt others might need to know about, and I learned the hard way to disable comments.

The reviews are glowing as it is, please no trolling/harassing dissenters whether you feel the negative reviews are legitimate or not.
People are just being complete jerks... Even if I don't agree with them it's still terribly rude ( http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041306023/recommended/294100/ )

Great job on showing how welcoming our little community is...

Mattk50

Was about to post this, the "mindless fanboy we have to DEFEND rimworld" is completely counterproductive, it will make people hate you and resent you, and be more likely to post negative reviews. Trying to "squash" them is an extremely childish and shortsighted response.

Bastobasto

That was the steam communauty saying hello.

Murdo

Quote from: top_hat_tomato on July 15, 2016, 09:32:12 PM
People are just being complete jerks... Even if I don't agree with them it's still terribly rude ( http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041306023/recommended/294100/ )

I didn't read very many responses, and I imagine a lot of them are inappropriate, but to be fair... writing "this game needs multiplayer" for a singleplayer game isn't a review, it's smearing feces on the wall. There are a few legitimate negative reviews that accurately point out the problems with the game, and they were treated with respect.

Nictis

Quote from: top_hat_tomato on July 15, 2016, 09:32:12 PM

Quite frankly, if someone goes deleting comments and ends up changing what their review says significantly and it still read like that, I don't really care for them.

Jin.M

There were warnings about the critical steam community when you publish an early access game on steam.
The trolls are allways there, and when I see a unjustified review I just downvote it as not helpful.

But some of the reviewers state that there is no tutorial and the learning curve is too steep. I don't know about that, because I bought the game 2 years ago and allready learned how to play Rimworld. But those guys have a point because just read the steam page: "The game is already fully playable, balanced, and generally free of bugs. Over 120,000 players have been enjoying it since our Kickstarter in October 2013. However, we want to add more value before calling it done. We're doing Early Access to indicate that we still intend to add more content to the game."
When a game is fully playable it is playable from the start as a beginner. Thats not the case and they have the right to critizise that. Even though I would not write it differently, because Rimworld has to be complex. I suggest adding a link in the main menue of the game where you get linked to a text tutorial on the wiki - that easy "tutorial or your first year on the rimworld" wiki page is still missing.
In the 90s when I bought a game it allways came with a 30 site big manual. Why not try to reach for this oldschool style? I really liked reading the manuals for Settlers 4 and Myst 4, they were a nice lecture when I could not access my PC. =)

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Elixiar on July 15, 2016, 06:11:17 PMBut there are those among steam that would serve no real reason to down vote other than to **** on the sandcastle. Some have already tried to do so.
We must squash them. Legitimate reviews are fine but for once, at least, for a time! Let us finally show steam that a true game worthy of its platform has arrived!

Praise Tynan!

You know it's funny, I came here to write a thread on the toxicity of the rampant fanboism associated with this game and how it would put Star Citizen to shame, and how the Steam reviews are clearly nothing but a circle jerk of botnet-aspirants mindlessly upvoting every posititve review and downvoting every negative review without even reading them first... because that's what trolls do.

However, instead I'll just quote you, since you've already so perfectly proven my point for me.  Thanks!

hoho

Quote from: Nareese on July 15, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: Elixiar on July 15, 2016, 06:11:17 PM
They are in fact so impressive that people think they are fake. 
Exact same thing happened a few months ago when Factorio came to Steam and was the #1 top rated game for a few weeks because of massively positive feedback.

There will be people who get Rimworld just because it's rated high, try it and see that it's not for them. Rimworld isn't meant to be loved by everyone. Pretty much no game is.