[M|0.0.363] Completely fails to start. [Solved]

Started by letharion, February 26, 2014, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

letharion

I downloaded alpha 2. Deleted alpha 1. Unpacked 2, tried to start it by right clicking and choosing open.

OSX gives the standard unauthorized app error, and I confirm I want to start the application. The bottom bar for a brief moment appears to be starting a new a new app, as space is opening up for a new icon, but after a split second, it reverts. I assume the app either crashes or just exits here.

Remove alpha 2, unpack again.

Remove zip-file, re-download the game. Unpack, try to start again. Same issue.

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/unity.Ludeon\ Studios.RimWorld/
rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/unity.Ludeon\ Studios.RimWorld.savedState/
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/unity.Ludeon\ Studios.RimWorld.plist

Issue still persists.

I'm not aware of Rimworld producing any logs, nor do I know how to launch OSX apps from a shell to see if they output anything interesting.

Whine in the forum, but be secretly happy that you may be doing something productive this evening :P

letharion

Quote from: letharion on February 26, 2014, 02:49:56 PMnor do I know how to launch OSX apps from a shell to see if they output anything interesting.

Actually, that turns out to be simple, though not obvious.

open RimWorld363Mac.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file ~/Downloads/RimWorld363Mac/RimWorld363Mac.app.

Which in turn can be solved by:

chmod +x RimWorld363Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorld

I don't know how widespread the issue is, I haven't done anything particularly odd that I'm aware off. My version is 10.9.2.

FuliginCloak

Thanks, I had this problem with the latest A8 build as well, same STDERR output when testing from the shell, still fixed with setting the executable bit with chmod as described. The only difference in the solution was the internal binary name, which now appears to be version numbered in the name, but it should match the downloaded *.app name, such as RimWordXXXMac.app/.../RimWorldXXXMac, where XXX is the version number.

And to help anyone searching the forum by system log output, the console logs will be coming from the launching process (Finder/QuickSilver/open/etc.). Here is an example:

Finder[286]: 8837325: Attempting to SIGCONT to pid #83410 failed, with errno=#3, or the process failed to actually start

It'll be obvious though, because there will be somewhere around one hundred log lines like that at the moment of attempted execution. :)