just some thing i was thinking of...

Started by Keyreper, October 12, 2013, 01:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyreper

what is the largest sized building you can make in rim world, is there a limit to the size of the building you can make? if not then someone needs to make a building thats almost the size of the map to see if the game will crash, just *kinda* important i thought. (since the pre-alpha is kinda like bug testing)

Hypolite

In theory, there's no limit to the size of a building. Constructing a building makes all squares it is sitting on impassable. That requires the area to be clear of rocks/colonists/animals beforehand. If not, the building will not be built at all.

Semmy

so basicly getting ready to do this will take some time (-;

I think there are more interesting things to do in a game
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

For technical reasons I recently set the largest size that will auto-roof to 600 squares. This is a temporary limit.

If a building can have multiple rooms, it could fill the entire map. The game won't crash or anything.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Keyreper

Quote from: Tynan on October 12, 2013, 04:54:11 PM
For technical reasons I recently set the largest size that will auto-roof to 600 squares. This is a temporary limit.

If a building can have multiple rooms, it could fill the entire map. The game won't crash or anything.

Thanks! I was just thinking that making the map one big room would crash the game but there's a limit.

Tynan

In any case, you can't roof more that 7 squares from a support. Such a room would need lots of pillars.

salt1219

or make a grid of single supports every 7 blocks, that would be one huge room.

Hypolite

Semmy

Quote from: Hypolite on October 12, 2013, 05:27:58 PM
Well, now I have to try.

amen.
Exactly what im thinking now.
Whoever has the game at this moment go and try... else i have to wait 3 weeks for the answer to this problem
and my autistic mind cant handle that d-;
Edmund Burke

Spike

Quote from: Tynan on October 12, 2013, 05:09:53 PM
In any case, you can't roof more that 7 squares from a support. Such a room would need lots of pillars.

I caught a reference to the 7 tile limit in one of the videos, and it gave me an evil idea.  I almost don't want to share it...  8)

1) Build a 15x15 room with one tile in the middle, in an area where the pirates will have to funnel through.
2) Remove all of the walls, leaving the ceiling supported only by the pillar.
3) Place a blasting charge (or 4) next to the wall...
4) Wait for pirates.

But then, I'm not sure how much damage a falling roof does. :P

Blitz

I have tried it, to a lesser extent. It works quite well. If something falls down on a person, or object it is destroyed competently. I even tested it with stockpiles and geysers. The stockpile one was quite interesting. The colonists glitched out because they had no place to haul to.

Keyreper

collapsing roofs on people could lead to interesting things, like knocking them out, or making them go berserk and attack everything and everyone around them

Tynan

Quote from: Spike on October 12, 2013, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: Tynan on October 12, 2013, 05:09:53 PM

I caught a reference to the 7 tile limit in one of the videos, and it gave me an evil idea.  I almost don't want to share it...  8)

1) Build a 15x15 room with one tile in the middle, in an area where the pirates will have to funnel through.
2) Remove all of the walls, leaving the ceiling supported only by the pillar.
3) Place a blasting charge (or 4) next to the wall...
4) Wait for pirates.

But then, I'm not sure how much damage a falling roof does. :P

This would be a good and bad strategy. Good because they would all die. Bad because you'd get no recruits and no weapons out of the deal.

Semmy

a new kind of trap has just been made.

Chrashing things down has been 1 of the best things to do since dwarf fortress except for cage traps offcourse d-;
Edmund Burke

Blitz