[A14] Unplayable on Mac

Started by pk4yahweh, July 19, 2016, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk4yahweh

Im not sure what is different - but I have been playing Rimworld on the same Macbook since early Alphas with no issues at all.  Suddenly with Alpha 14 the game lags so much on the smallest settings I cannot play it.  It runs in SUPER slow motion.

Im not a computer expert - so not sure what is needed to help decider the problem (or maybe the same Unity issue as Linux?)

My specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

ttoocs

Quote from: ttoocs on July 19, 2016, 03:24:00 PM
I saw your post about it running painfully slow on a mac..
Can you try running it with -force-opengl? (I'm on linux, and this fixed my issue, I'm curious if it might fix yours)

Quote from: pk4yahweh on July 19, 2016, 03:47:42 PM
Can you explain how I run it with -force-opengl?

Quote from: ttoocs on July 19, 2016, 03:54:31 PM
Are you running it via steam, or just clicking it in a folder somewhere?

Quote from: pk4yahweh on July 19, 2016, 04:00:17 PM
I installed it on my harddrive.  I figured Steam was only making it worse.

Quote from: ttoocs on July 19, 2016, 04:12:17 PM
Alright, so if you open up a new terminal, type (or copy-paste)
/Applications/RimWorld1238Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorld1238Mac -force-opengl
That should run it, to my understanding

If that doesn't work, try
cd /Applications
`find | grep RimWorld1238Mac` -force-opengl
And it _should_ find it and run it.

Alternatively use
find | grep RimWorld1238Mac
to find the directory and cd to it, and then ./RimWorld1238Mac -force-opengl
Quote from: pk4yahweh on July 19, 2016, 05:23:55 PM
Yes - that fixed it!
Is this something I have to do overtime I want to play (open terminal window and type that command) or will they be able to fix this in a patch?
Thanks!

There is a way to create a shortcut to do this:

Create an Applescript with:
do shell script "<whatever you ran that worked>"
And save it as an application.
(I don't know that this works first-hand, this is just what I got from googling it)

As for patch-ability, I'm not entirely sure.
Glad I could help.

whoishigh

Which version of OSX are you running?

pk4yahweh

Im running 10.11.6

This fix has worked but Im hoping an update eliminates the necessary extra step .

ijm

I'm on a Macbook Pro 15", 2011 (Intel HD 3000 & Radeon HD 6490M). OSX 10.11.6

On the steam release I can't get A14 to start. I've tried the "./RimWorldMac -force-opengl" suggestion, but I just get the black screen which disappears after a minute or two. (And which says "not responding" in the Force Quit window.)

I'm using the executable at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorldMac -force-opengl

Are there other suggestions? Or do I seem to be doing this incorrectly?

FYI: At first I was getting a crash report (rather than simply disappearing) when I tried "./RimWorld1238Mac -force-opengl". Turned out that that was because I had a second monitor connected to my Macbook through the Thunderbolt port (via a Displayport 1.2 adapter). Once I disconnected the second monitor I no longer got the crash report when running "./RimWorld1238Mac -force-opengl", I simply get a black window (which seems to WANT to be fullscreen) that crashes/disappears after a minute or two.
I've attached that crash report, in case it's helpful.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

whoishigh

Quote from: pk4yahweh on July 19, 2016, 03:12:06 PM
Im not sure what is different - but I have been playing Rimworld on the same Macbook since early Alphas with no issues at all.  Suddenly with Alpha 14 the game lags so much on the smallest settings I cannot play it.  It runs in SUPER slow motion.

Quote from: pk4yahweh on July 20, 2016, 02:32:41 PM
Im running 10.11.6

That's the difference right there, OSX 10.11.6 was rolled out two days ago :P Did you have any issues running A14 on 10.11.5? Do you encounter any problems with other apps since updating to the newest version of OSX?

My best guess is that something went wrong when you and ijm updated to 10.11.6, and you'll both want to try reinstalling it with Apple's combo updater - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1885?locale=en_US. This seems to be the most likely culprit based on what I've read of the official Apple forums, a number of people there are reporting wide range of issues that boil down to a bad install. The one caveat here is that the combo updater will completely replace the files changed by the update where the appstore simply edits the existing ones - though that's part of the problem anyway. You shouldn't lose any personal data but it's worth backing up first if you decide to try this fix.

I can't see it being a problem specifically between 10.11.6 and the game given what that particular update changes, but worst case there is some incompatibility there that Tynan will have to sort out. If so, you'll have to either wait for an update to the game or use Time Machine to return to a 10.11.5 backup (assuming you had it running before updating to 10.11.6).

For what it's worth I have no issues running the game on a late-2011 MBP with specs comparable to both of your machines - the only difference is that I'm still on OSX 10.9.5.

ijm

I'm not sure what happened between yesterday (July 20) afternoon and this morning (21st)--I haven't even restarted the laptop, it just slept, and I didn't notice a Rimworld update--but Rimworld started up without issue. **shrug**