Alpha 15 and children

Started by thelordfeather, July 20, 2016, 10:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelordfeather

I took some time to go through the full changelog that was posted and noticed that there's reference to the minimum age a female can get pregnant. http://i.imgur.com/e9iqYzG.png In the AMA, Tynan noted that aside from drugs, there was a big feature that he did not yet want to announce because he was unsure of how to implement it, could this be it?

Edit: This may actually be in reference to pre-existing relationships, but who knows?

Argelle

Where did you get the changelog for alpha 15 waaay in advance ? :)

thelordfeather

It wasn't the alpha 15 changelog, it's the alpha 14 changelog! https://ludeon.com/rimworld/RimWorldGitLogA13toA14.txt

BlackSmokeDMax

This could be a preliminary step to having kids in game, or it could (and most likely) be just a change to make sure the ages of relatives makes logical sense.

Tynan

It's just related to the pre-generated parent/child relationships. The game has to know how close in age they can be.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

captainradish

Quote from: Tynan on July 20, 2016, 01:54:04 PM
It's just related to the pre-generated parent/child relationships. The game has to know how close in age they can be.

That's just what they WANT you to think!  ;)

fizban1978

Actually i dont see any need for offspring in RM. Why do  i want to care for babies for like 15 years before they become of age and actually be useful? Its better to capture grown ups and persuade them to join the colony. :)
If you ask me, the 2 features which can greatly enhance the game are water as a resource and vehicles (small ones, simple and complex)

falcongrey

Quote from: fizban1978 on July 20, 2016, 05:56:18 PM
Actually i dont see any need for offspring in RM. Why do  i want to care for babies for like 15 years before they become of age and actually be useful? Its better to capture grown ups and persuade them to join the colony. :)
If you ask me, the 2 features which can greatly enhance the game are water as a resource and vehicles (small ones, simple and complex)

Water is one thing Tynan has stated will not become a resource, sorry. If he changes his mind in the future it would be up to him. I personally would love to see fishing added to the game for a food source! Would be awesome and mods exist for that. As for vehicles, he HAS made hints of the possibility of them coming in a major release or two here (read the comments from here down to his and interpret as you will) though nothing that would say a definite coming soon so don't hold your breath. There ARE mods for the vehicles, backpacks, carts, and such though I am not sure if they are updated for A14.x yet. Check the Released forum.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: falcongrey on July 20, 2016, 07:43:10 PM
Quote from: fizban1978 on July 20, 2016, 05:56:18 PM
IMO that's stupid. Its easy to implement and realistic, needed for a game like this. Right now you can survive in a desert without any water,it takes away from the game.

Water is one thing Tynan has stated will not become a resource, sorry. If he changes his mind in the future it would be up to him. I personally would love to see fishing added to the game for a food source! Would be awesome and mods exist for that. As for vehicles, he HAS made hints of the possibility of them coming in a major release or two here (read the comments from here down to his and interpret as you will) though nothing that would say a definite coming soon so don't hold your breath. There ARE mods for the vehicles, backpacks, carts, and such though I am not sure if they are updated for A14.x yet. Check the Released forum.

123nick

fizban1978

Quote from: falcongrey on July 20, 2016, 07:43:10 PM

Water is cool indeed, but i can understand Tynan's point of view. I guess its not cost effective to add water. Im ok with that. The game is awesome as it is now.  Falcongray,  think water implementation is also very, very complex as it changes lots of stuff which might be relevant to water.
Thanks for the link, I'll read it.

I just hope he wont add children to this game, or at least an option to disable them. I also think they are not cost effective (as i stated in my previous reply).

But vehicles, man, these could be great!

There is a mod with vehicles (for A13 right now and WIP), but it masses up a whole lot of other mods i dont really wish to play currently.

theaetetus

Quote from: 123nick on July 21, 2016, 03:00:50 AM
Quote from: thelordfeather on July 20, 2016, 11:03:49 AM
It wasn't the alpha 15 changelog, it's the alpha 14 changelog! https://ludeon.com/rimworld/RimWorldGitLogA13toA14.txt

where did u get the link too that??

Tynan posted it on Twitter a few days ago, IIRC.

BugPowderDust

I don't want to see children in this game. Call me a sentimentalist, but children dying isn't something I want in a game.

theaetetus

Quote from: BugPowderDust on July 21, 2016, 01:32:56 PM
I don't want to see children in this game. Call me a sentimentalist, but children dying isn't something I want in a game.

Did somebody say renewable source of human leather and kibble?

BugPowderDust

Quote from: theaetetus on July 21, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: BugPowderDust on July 21, 2016, 01:32:56 PM

Did somebody say renewable source of human leather and kibble?

QED