Rethinking pyromania

Started by whoishigh, July 22, 2016, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoishigh

I find this trait to be excessively obnoxious/trolly - a colonist breaks with no provocation (well above even their minor break threshold) and seems to target anything valuable to the colony as they start more than a dozen fires. It's not terribly difficult to thwart them with a drafted colonist, but it's unnecessarily micromanagey and definitely not fun.

My main concerns are that this trait triggers far too often and lasts WAY too long. I have some ideas on what would make it better but I'd like to see what others think first.

b0rsuk

For a minor break it's quite serious, comparable to daze in severity. If's just as lethal if there's a warg pack outside. Maybe a bit less if you're in ice sheet, he won't undress.

hwfanatic

I thought Tynan said they could start fires IF they go berserk, not that they will go berserk for no reason and start lighting everything up. My friend also reports this issue and I believe it's an unintended bug.

whoishigh

Quote from: hwfanatic on July 22, 2016, 03:42:08 AM
I thought Tynan said they could start fires IF they go berserk, not that they will go berserk for no reason and start lighting everything up. My friend also reports this issue and I believe it's an unintended bug.

That's the thing, their mood is above the threshold for a minor break (IE if they experience a minor break at 40 mood and they're at 60+) and they aren't going berserk. It's purely random and seemingly unrelated to their current mood, so maybe it is a bug.

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 22, 2016, 02:49:01 AM
For a minor break it's quite serious, comparable to daze in severity. If's just as lethal if there's a warg pack outside. Maybe a bit less if you're in ice sheet, he won't undress.

I could see it triggering for a major or extreme break, but it definitely shouldn't happen for anything less than that!

keylocke

yea. pyromania trigger needs to be tweaked.

i think that trait was tynan's shout out to the don't starve game. haha.

mumblemumble

I find it funny that pyromaniac history doesn't enable pyromaniac trait. But considering they kill their family, makes sense.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.