Order: Carry bedridden colonist from normal bed to hospital beds

Started by Kagemusha12, July 22, 2016, 10:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kagemusha12

The ability to have colonists carry other colonists (who are unable to move) from normal beds to hospital beds is sorely lacking in this game.

I had the following situation:
Extreme heat wave that wens on for more than a day, with temperatures of 55°C+
Oner of my colonists collappsed with an extreme heatstroke.

Another colonist rescued her and brought her to her bed (in an unclimatized hut)

Well, as her heatstroke got worse while lying in her bed in the hot hut, I decided to put a sleeping spot into my large refrigerating room and declare it a hospital.

But alas, there was no way to transport the bedridden colonist from her own way to the hospital.
Neither could I undesignate or deconstruct the bed she was lying in, nor could I tell another colonist to transfer her to hospital.
All I could do was watch her heatstroke getting worse and worse till she succumbed from it

The simple order "Move bedridden colonist x (on which I clicked) to hospital" would have saved her life :(

SpaceDorf

You are right, this option is missing and should be implemented :)

But for your next case you can designate a bed as prison bed, even with someone sleeping in it, that evicts the Pawn instantly.
Also you can keep the door open, if its cooler outside than inside, and make the pawn drop their clothes clothes from the gear menu.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

FalconBR

Another good option would be to help other pawns move to the hospital bed!
I was fighting a siege, one of my pawn got hit in both legs and took almost a full day to walk to the hospital bed, almost dying of hunger and sleep! It could be worst!

SpaceDorf

Next time try a Pawn with the Doctor Work enabled, then you should get the option to Treat the wounded, which will bring him to bed .. I can't try it out right now, but I am pretty sure it worked ..

Kagemusha12

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 23, 2016, 12:01:58 AM
Next time try a Pawn with the Doctor Work enabled, then you should get the option to Treat the wounded, which will bring him to bed .. I can't try it out right now, but I am pretty sure it worked ..

She already was in bed (her own normal bed), in her own hut (I had to rescue her to her own bed because she collapsed from the heatstroke).
Unfortunately the hut had no air condition (was my first summer ... only air condition was in the refrigerator) and the temperatures in the hut (ranging from 50-60 °C ) were large enough to gradually worsen her heatstroke even when resting in her own bed.

The possibility to transfer her from her own bed to a hospital bed (in the fridge) was not there, not even when I chose the second doctor of my colony (the first doctor actually was her ;) )

Transforming the bed ionto a prison bed sounds like a nice workaround however, will try it next time (unless till then Tynan has implemented a non-workaround way to transfer bedridden pawns to another bed)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 23, 2016, 12:01:58 AM

Heheh .. that was in answer to falcon :)
I know that in your case that would not have worked.
And I tried the prison bed method with a pawn of mine who was sleeping at the moment .. should work ..

and with the hut I meant, you can keep doors open, so if its 50-60 in the hut and "only" 49 outside  the hut will go down to outside temperature .. if its hotter outside this is of course not viable.

I have tribals incoming right now, lets see what I can verify afterwards :)

SpaceDorf

Sorry, no cases like you described.

Nearly lost both of my doctors, one lost a leg, the other a foot, but there where no extraordinary cases.

asanbr

I have previously (A12 , A13?) been able to manage similar situations by making/unmaking the room a prison, then the person will fall out of bed and you can rescue them again. And make sure there is only one medical bed (the one you want them carried to) and they will be taken there.

I don't know if this exact situation would be solved, and I don't know if A14 changed any of it, but you could try.

cultist

Heatstroke isn't a medical condition (you can't treat it), so the AI doesn't consider hospital beds necessary for this. I think it's intended to be this way.

What you do in this specific case (heat wave) is put normal beds/sleeping spots in a cold area, then assign each pawn one. The heatstroke victim(s) will fall out of (their newly unowned) bed and be carried to the new one by a doctor.

FalconBR

Yeah, like the last person said, set the bed in the fridge to be the person bed and it will work!

LARSGORTEMAKER

Its funny that i did the exact same thing in the exact same scenario :D