Increase ram allocated too Rimworld?

Started by 123nick, August 05, 2016, 12:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123nick

i play rimworld with a ton of mods, and it crashes a lot , due to it running out of ram, im pretty sure. so i wonder ,is there a way to make rimworld use more ram? or make it large address aware? i heard that sometimes helps, on occasion?

Reviire

Are you on a 32bit or a 64bit OS? I don't think Rimword has a set limit of RAM usage with 64 bit, it just uses it as it needs it. Are sure it's definitely running out of ram?

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

123nick

Quote from: Reviire on August 05, 2016, 01:36:57 AM
Are you on a 32bit or a 64bit OS? I don't think Rimword has a set limit of RAM usage with 64 bit, it just uses it as it needs it. Are sure it's definitely running out of ram?

im somewhat sure, im running 64bit ,
error.log:

https://gist.github.com/2b0eb969d75a54bdca9bac85df2a6002

output_log.txt:

https://gist.github.com/2d89802219d1eb0843511be4c061c5c9

i dont know what could be using up soo much ram, besides maybe the MMS, it has some big texture files, like 2-3hundred kilobyte texture files.

harpo99999

32 bit windows programs on 32 bit windows are able to use UPTO 2gb of ram for the program AND data
32 bit programs on 64 bit windows are able to use UPTO 4gb of ram for the program and data

and

64 bit programs on 64 bit windows can use ALL available ram (and swapfile) for the program and data

BUT

currently rimworld is only a 32 bit program (and it is a LOT more involved than just re-compiling the source with a 64 bit switch in the compiler) so you have a MAX program AND data space size of 2gb(32 bit windows) or 4gb (64 bit windows)

it is often a resource leak(in either the program or the mods) that causes programs to approach the ram limits, but it might also be the map size being a factor for rimworld

123nick

Quote from: harpo99999 on August 05, 2016, 07:53:25 AM
32 bit windows programs on 32 bit windows are able to use UPTO 2gb of ram for the program AND data
32 bit programs on 64 bit windows are able to use UPTO 4gb of ram for the program and data

and

64 bit programs on 64 bit windows can use ALL available ram (and swapfile) for the program and data

BUT

currently rimworld is only a 32 bit program (and it is a LOT more involved than just re-compiling the source with a 64 bit switch in the compiler) so you have a MAX program AND data space size of 2gb(32 bit windows) or 4gb (64 bit windows)

it is often a resource leak(in either the program or the mods) that causes programs to approach the ram limits, but it might also be the map size being a factor for rimworld

you could be right, but when i played on 400x400 ingame map size, with mods, i didnt have nearly as many crashes. it probably is a memory leak, but i dont know what, and finding out would be impossible.

123nick

is it possible, to make rimworld 64-bit? i remember how KSP had a hacky way of doing it, by replacing some of the unity engine files, or something, but i think it would make rimworld horribly buggy, or worse.