Two suggestions for doing work

Started by Leroy76, August 05, 2016, 03:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy76

Based on this thread  I want to make the followlng two suggestions that would take care of some annoying things. If implemented in the simplest approach, I'd consider these "cheap" in the required (?) meaning of beeing implementable within 4 hours.

1. Workers should take ressources with them to the storage if they go home.
Examples (hauling allowed in both cases):
A) A miner wants to go home to sleep. Metal is all arround him. He will sleep in the base and the storage for metal is close to his bed. Currently he goes back empty handed and someone else has to walk all the way there to pick up the metal stacks.
B) A construction worker has finished building something outside of the base. On his way back he directly walks over a tile that contains ressources marked for hauling back in the base. But this is ignored.

2. Whenever a work is started, a minium amount of work units should be performed and this amount should be considerably higher, if the colonists was directly ordered by player to do the work. *
Examples:
A) Colonist walked all over the map, hits a rock once and goes back to take care of a prisoner.
B) Colonist is ordered to sow on hydroponics but wants to sleep. He only does one tile and walks away instead of completing at least one pod with 4 plants.
C) A tired colonist is ordered to clean the blood in a small room because there is a bed with a sick or wounded person in it. He again only does one tile and wants to walk away. Locking the door or limiting the work zone results in the colonist just falling asleep on the ground and getting "slept on ground" etc. malus while still only completing one tile. 
D) Colonist woken up to extinguish fire. Again, only one tile is done instead of taking care of the whole fire as much as possible.

*If the colonist in question is already close to getting mad because of hunger (-7 or even the -15 state), he should eat before even starting to walk out to mine that rock at the opposite side of the map.

SpaceDorf

I fully endorse the whole Suggestion
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Illusion Distort

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Serenity

I just had the stupid situation where a hunter walked over almost the entire map to kill an animal and then didn't take it home :(

It would also be nice to tell people to prioritize a whole area instead of one tile. Like saying "clean all the blood in this room NOW"

SpaceDorf

Was he wounded ?
Sometimes when Animals Counter Attack it counts as combat and not hunting.

I saw this more then once, an Animal or Herd gets enraged and tries to kill the Hunter,
after slaughtering the enemy he turns around and starts a new hunting job ..

Serenity

No. He was probably pissed off, hungry and maybe cold. This was probably more of the usual "pawns will prioritize their own needs even when doing that last job won't hurt them"

BlackSmokeDMax

I agree with the whole suggestion as well.

Just want to add onto the hunting discussion. Sometimes the hunter doesn't land the *actual* killing blow and an animal ends up bleeding out instead. Think that causes the lack of hauling fairly often.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Serenity on August 06, 2016, 09:15:47 AM
No. He was probably pissed off, hungry and maybe cold. This was probably more of the usual "pawns will prioritize their own needs even when doing that last job won't hurt them"

Well in this case I totally understand why he did not want to tug a bloody dead animal across the map, I certainly would not :)

Also through observation I am sure it was not hunger, I seen enough times when a hunter guns down his pray,
sits down to eat and then hauls the the bacon back home.

And in my case, I also activate cooking in hunters with the same priority as hunting, so in most cases when they are to stupid to take their hunting pray home, butchering triggers and the take it anyway.

Leroy76

Quote from: Serenity on August 06, 2016, 08:40:46 AM
It would also be nice to tell people to prioritize a whole area instead of one tile. Like saying "clean all the blood in this room NOW"
That is was is actually meant, I just didn't try to explicitly include a specific "area" in hope to allow more room for a solution options. But somehow the colonist must check the area arround him to reach the minium amount of work units. Even construction can be affected in some cases, if a wall has to be constructed or you want him to finish these few conduit parts which only require one work unit each to connect the turbine that will power the heater during the night. Very annoying to have to click on each individual tile to get this work done which would actually take only a few seconds.

Darth Fool

I have long been an advocate for opportunistic hauling.

I have pondered the idea of an extra stat called concentration that would basically serve the 2nd function.  People with high concentration will work a longer time before considering alternatives than someone with low concentration.  Obviously some things would break a pawn's concentration, like being attacked.  I think that the advantage of this over a simple one size fits all AI change is that it would provide more variety as well as encouraging the player to make different decisions about the allocation of their human resources.  For example, you might choose to send a worker with high concentration but lower skill on missions that are on the far side of the map.

Another alternative that would address the issue in a completely different way, would be an overhaul of the work/restrictions system.  Instead of having "anything,work,sleep,joy", allow the player to add their own categories in which the priorities would be manually set.  This would allow a single pawn to prioritize warden work in the early morning, construction during the day, crafting in the evening, and cleaning just before bed. 

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Darth Fool on August 08, 2016, 12:38:15 PM
Another alternative that would address the issue in a completely different way, would be an overhaul of the work/restrictions system.  Instead of having "anything,work,sleep,joy", allow the player to add their own categories in which the priorities would be manually set.  This would allow a single pawn to prioritize warden work in the early morning, construction during the day, crafting in the evening, and cleaning just before bed.

This is what I want

Mendel

Quote from: Serenity on August 06, 2016, 08:40:46 AM
I just had the stupid situation where a hunter walked over almost the entire map to kill an animal and then didn't take it home :(

Because of this I dont even use the hunt functionality in the game anymore. Every time I need to get meat I draft a person or two, go hunt, undraft and order them to haul the animals. Cause otherwise there is no quarantee there will be actual food getting done and not just rotting animals in the opposite corner of the map. Also this makes sure I dont get caught not seeing an animal revenge. Also I use frag grenades to hunt big herds and such :)

Also with regards to original post: yes, yes, yes and holy moley YES :)
+ 9001

Serenity

I'm currently on the larger "large" size (third largest overall) and hunting here seems to be fine. Walking distances are pretty short everywhere as not everything is blocked off. And in the summer there are several herds around. So I don't really get the situation where people have other needs to satisfy after a kill.

It seems to depend a bit on the map size and the layout