Dug through reality into a buggy shadow dimension.

Started by hawkwing, March 01, 2014, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkwing

Possibly just a graphical bug, maybe something more sinister. What I thought to be a fantastic map spawn ended up being a trap. The generated world appeared to have a mountain on both the north and east sides, however when I started digging further to the east, I found a rather buggy landscape that began throwing dozens of errors up in the console. Game still seems playable, in that it didn't crash, however it's fairly broken, and the ai is having trouble pathing through it. Enough talk. Quick example picture is attached. I'm guessing it happened at world generation time and just became visible when I dug into it. Message me if you'd like a copy of the save before or after this appeared.

I'm running the following mods, though I don't see how any of them could cause this.
-Less Explosive Turrets
-Energy Turrets
-Embrasures
-Blacksmith's workplace
-Project Armory
-Project Armory Raider (All)
-Practise Target
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

oniryuuko

The issue isn't with any of your mods. When a cave, even one on the edge of the map, isn't immediately visible, it will appear to be solid rock. When dug into, what's supposed to happen is that the roof in that area gets removed and the entire region is revealed, as if it always was visible. What appears to have happened is your game spawned an unusually large cave just like this, and when attempting to make it visible, the game seems to have stopped, either because of a glitched block or because it's not designed to reveal such a large area like this.

Unfortunately, this is a bug that, even when fixed, likely will NOT fix old saves. If you'd like to, though, you could probably fix the area with RimEdit, at:
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1560.0

This tool has a rather well made map editor, although there is no guarantee that it will even be able to load a save broken like this, let alone fix it. My suggestion is to just replace all the area that has the glitched rock roof with natural stone walls and continue mining it out as you desire.

hawkwing

I was in fact able to fix the save by opening up the debug menu and causing a few explosions opening up new paths from the rest of the map into the newly exposed (bugged) area. This seemed to recalculate whatever data it got wrong initially. Game is fully playable again, and events have even started spawning over on the newly exposed side of the map.

And yeah, it was quite an exceptional map seed.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)