[MOD] (Alpha 2) Toughrock: Concrete Economy (Release 2)

Started by Nasikabatrachus, March 03, 2014, 03:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

Toughrock

Description:
I made this mod to make mining a more dwarfy involved activity and to slightly extend the game's economy. Toughrock does this by adding new resources, structures, and recipes to the base game.

Features:
  • Natural rock walls now have 1000 hitpoints instead of ~300, and now drop rock debris when mined.
  • New Resource: Concrete. Concrete comes in bags marked "E-Z crete" and is produced by the "Make Concrete" labor at the Stonecutter's table.
  • New Structure: Reinforced Concrete Wall. This new wall has 1200 hitpoints, but requires 10 concrete and 10 metal to build. Like the stone wall, it cannot take damage from fire and cannot conduct power.
  • Changed Rock Debris: Rock debris has been changed to make it standable so that colonists will accept mining jobs in tiles otherwise blocked by debris.
  • Constructed stone walls now have only 500 hitpoints, but require the same amount of stone blocks to build.
  • Concrete floors now require one unit of concrete to build.
  • Release 2 Additions follow:
  • New Resources: Power Conduit Segments and Lights. Power Conduit Segments are required to build power conduits. Small and Large Light Elements are required to build the Standing Lamp and the Sun Lamp, respectively.
  • New Worktables: Smelter and Electronics Workshop.
  • The Electronics Workshop allows you to build power conduit segments and lights. 1 unit of metal yields five power conduit segments, while the lights cost 5 metal for the small and 20 units for the large.
  • Ore! Instead of mining for metal, which can be used immediately, you must now mine for Metal Ore, which must be processed at a smelter to yield metal. To make up for the time you'll now be spending on mining and processing ore, each unit of ore yields more metal than mining a mineral tile would in the base game.
  • New Worktable: Smelter. The Smelter uses 5000 watts and can be used to turn Metal Ore into metal and turn slag debris into metal.
  • Silver is now stackable to 750 units rather than just 75. To copy this functionality to another mod or to the base game, just copy and paste 750stacks.xml into the appropriate ThingDefs folder.
Mod Team:
How to use:
Start a new game with Toughrock loaded to play. Toughrock is not compatible with existing saves and cannot be removed from a save.

I suggest setting up a Stonecutter's table next to a rock debris dumping zone just outside any rock mine you make, and build new tables further into the mine as your activities deepen it. Keep in mind that your structural defenses are now very expensive in terms of time and resources. Remember also that colonists move much more slowly over rock debris than they do over clear floors, so regular hauling is now a very important activity.

Download:
See bottom of post.

Screens:

http://imgur.com/mrULot2

http://imgur.com/ceRFcCk

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Notes:
Anyone may use any part of this mod's contents for their own purposes. Please credit me if it's practical to do so, but don't sweat it.

Any suggestions for improving aspects of this mod are welcome. If you wish to contribute a texture, defs, or code, please post them in this thread or send them to me via PM and you will be credited in this post.

Thanks to Rokiyo for their help making the rock debris standable.

Release 2 Notes:
The work time for creating concrete has been reduced from 1400 to 900.

The material requirements for the Smelter are 150 metal, 60 concrete, and 25 power conduit segments.

The Smelter uses the mining skill, and metal output is variable, so your best miners will get more metal per ore unit than everyone else.

The Electronics Workshop uses the crafting skill, and output of power conduit segments and light elements is not variable.

I'm aware that the new textures are a bit crude overall, so if you would like to volunteer better textures, just post them in this thread or PM them to me and I'll likely include them and credit you.

You may wish to use this mod to clear away debris as your game progresses. It should work fine, but I haven't tested or balanced it myself.

Known Issues:
  • Since Reinforced Concrete Walls require two different resources to build, but only one resource can be dropped when they are deconstructed, you may notice a message in the console saying that leavings could not be placed. I don't know how to fix this currently.
  • Reinforced Concrete Walls still look very similar to metal walls. I plan to change this in the near future.
  • Metal Ore is automatically forbidden when it is mined, so you'll have to manually un-forbid ore after you mine it.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Camirex

Thanks for the mod, but no offense, I'm not really seeing the value in this. It seems like it would cost a lot more resources (extra 10 metal) to make the same thing as the stone wall with an extra 200 hitpoints. Just seems like a lot of effort for very little gain. As well as the 3x increased mining time.

I think balancing it so that concrete walls can conduct electricity would make them more worthwhile; at its current state, 200 more hitpoints for all that work  just isn't really worth it.

letharion

Quote from: Camirex on March 03, 2014, 07:04:32 AM
I think balancing it so that concrete walls can conduct electricity would make them more worthwhile; at its current state, 200 more hitpoints for all that work  just isn't really worth it.

They've tried to balance this by reducing stone walls to 500 hp instead of 1000. Whether that's "right or wrong" I don't know.

From a logical standpoint, I think I would expect their to be a larger difference between "natural rock walls" at 1000, and armored concrete at 1200. Not that I really know much about the topic.

Also, I see no reason why concrete walls couldn't conduct power. There could even be two variations. One that doesn't (the current one) and one more expensive in metal that does.

SlimeCrusher

Do you want some help with the reinforced concrete walls? I can help you to make them look different, but first, is it made brick by brick on plain just like normal walls?

Nasikabatrachus

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having concrete walls transmit power, but I'll consider putting it into a future version. For now, if anyone wants to have concrete walls transmit power, they can just change the <transmitsPower> tag to true in the Concrete_and_Stone_Wall.xml file.

Quote from: SlimeCrusher on March 03, 2014, 10:47:28 AM
Do you want some help with the reinforced concrete walls? I can help you to make them look different, but first, is it made brick by brick on plain just like normal walls?

I'd appreciate any help you're willing to give. I'm not very well informed about how real concrete walls are produced, but the idea of the concrete bags resource implies that the walls would be built by applying layers of concrete over each other, resulting in a lot of horizontal striation. That would be difficult to show on something so small, however. I think the simplest thing that could be done to differentiate concrete walls would be to lighten the very tops of the walls and apply some tonal variation and small detail. I made the current texture by lightening the metal wall texture and painting lots of faint dark smudges in order to get an effect like this.

Vas

I don't like that the stone you mine now has 1000, it would be better if it were at least half, like 500.  It already takes a while for some miners to do their work and when you first start out, finding a cave is most normally the very first thing you do, to make a cave I mean.

On top of this, before you can really set up anything, you gotta move all this newly created rock out of your walls.  So Starting new on a map, this would present a difficult problem.  It would add loads of litter to the game when you first start and your first priority would end up being make the stone cutter table as fast as you possibly can just to get rid of this stuff and hope no raiders show up or wild animal raids that come in to eat everything you grow before you can.

You could also use Slag as a resource, it's somewhat scrap metal so you could make slag produce a stack of "support beams" which is used in the construction of concrete objects.  So all objects that your mod creates with this new resource could also require slag for producing support beams out of useless hunks of metal that end up all over the map and you have no way of getting rid of it except bombs.  Lots and lots and lots of bombs.  But yea, technically concrete wouldn't stand on it's own, at least not till it is dry, so the support beams from Slag would be a good idea.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

deadbeat88

I dont like this mod. Its not compatible with save files.
However, I like the concept of getting rock debris whenever you mine the mountain. Could you make a standalone mod for this? ...that is compatible with the savefile, ofcourse.
Whatever you do, don't do it!

Vas

Quote from: deadbeat88 on March 04, 2014, 11:43:42 AM
I dont like this mod. Its not compatible with save files.
However, I like the concept of getting rock debris whenever you mine the mountain. Could you make a standalone mod for this? ...that is compatible with the savefile, ofcourse.

The reason it isn't compatible with previous save files, is because it changes too much stuff.  You can't make it compatible.  Some mods will need new save files, unfortunately that's something you're stuck with and have to deal with.  :P  Sorry.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Nasikabatrachus

I've altered the OP to reflect save compatibility.

Currently working on adding metal ore which will be dropped by mining minerals and which will need to be refined at a smelter, which will require a lot of energy to operate.

Architect

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on March 04, 2014, 05:58:51 PM
I've altered the OP to reflect save compatibility.

Currently working on adding metal ore which will be dropped by mining minerals and which will need to be refined at a smelter, which will require a lot of energy to operate.

Oooh, thats an exciting idea :D
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Geneoce

More economy? More difficulty?

I like it. Installing now, Giving feedback later.

Nasikabatrachus

So, the ore and smelting update is almost done. However, I can't seem to get pawns to fill bills at the smelter itself. I've been trying to get it to work for a few hours, and have simplified the smelter's defs to the point that it's practically the stonecutter's table. The ore smelting recipe works in the stonecutter's table, and the workgiver and skillneed defs seem to be in order. The only thing I can think of is that the problem relates to the smelter's size, texture, and interaction square, except I don't know why that would be a problem. I've either missed something very subtle or very obvious. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Apparently it really was to do with the interaction square.

Tynan

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on March 06, 2014, 01:54:36 AM
So, the ore and smelting update is almost done. However, I can't seem to get pawns to fill bills at the smelter itself. I've been trying to get it to work for a few hours, and have simplified the smelter's defs to the point that it's practically the stonecutter's table. The ore smelting recipe works in the stonecutter's table, and the workgiver and skillneed defs seem to be in order. The only thing I can think of is that the problem relates to the smelter's size, texture, and interaction square, except I don't know why that would be a problem. I've either missed something very subtle or very obvious. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Apparently it really was to do with the interaction square.

Sorry I wasn't here to help you out!

Modding RW will be a bit rough for the first few months, but I think as the community expands it'll get better.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nasikabatrachus

No problem, Tynan. It's all part of the learning process to me.

Toughrock Mod version 2 will be put up shortly! This post will have the original release attached.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

xiuhte1