[MOD] (Alpha 2) Glowroot

Started by WorldOfIllusion, March 04, 2014, 06:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WorldOfIllusion

Glowroot 0.1.0

Description:

This mod adds a new plant called Glowroot that can then be harvested and used to create structures, that, wait for it... glow!

Features:
  • Glowroot plant, resource, structures
  • New research
  • Truly awful  wonderful textures (the textures used are essentially placeholders, if you have artistic skill and can make some nicer looking textures I would be super happy/thankful)
Mod Team:
Download:

Screens:

How to install:

- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Notes:

Unfortunately, with the restrictions of Alpha 2 this mod makes some concessions:
  • Glowroot doesn't glow when in plant form, this is due to restrictions to do with thingClass that shouldn't be an issue in Alpha 3
  • Glowroot Wall currently produces a tiny amount of power, once again due to restrictions to do with thingClass (things that glow in Alpha 2 also need to use/create power)
There are more features planned for this mod, however I think that they will have to wait for Alpha 3.

Changelog:
  • 0.1.0: released!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

RedStorm58

Pretty cool mod. You said that the walls produce power. Is this correct?
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

Vas

So you created a light that creates power as well as lighting an area.  That sounds..... "balanced"...
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Evul

WorldOfIllusion

Yeah, the walls currently create 1 power (due to restrictions of Alpha 2).

Quote from: Vas on March 04, 2014, 11:30:18 AM
So you created a light that creates power as well as lighting an area.  That sounds..... "balanced"...
If you don't like it, don't install the mod. Also, if you tried the mod you would find that glowroot structures are quite expensive, provide little light, and that the trivial amount of power they create would provide almost no benefit. In fact, you'd need to make 4000 walls using 3 pieces of glowroot each (which could take you up to 10 days to get 5), as well as some metal, to rival a geothermal plant.

Quote from: Evul on March 04, 2014, 04:13:15 PM
Probably a +1-1 energy drain.
Exactly, I chose the +1 cause otherwise they wouldn't work without a power source and you get lots of annoying energy icons flashing everywhere.
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

Darker

This is awesome. Wasn't glowroot originally in terraria?

Could you also try to add the blue glowing mycelium? (make it glow white untile Alpha 3 comes).
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

WorldOfIllusion

Quite possible, man I should really play some more terraria.

Could add a mycelium plant too, wouldn't require anything different from how the glowroot works at the moment (if you'd like, you can change the glowroot walls to mycelium ones and edit the value of the CompGlower parts to be a blue-ish colour).

a89a89

Sounds awesome! Just curious, but will you update this for alpha 3?

WorldOfIllusion

Potentially. My original ideas for this mod could be far better realised with the tools alpha 3 will give us. That said, there didn't seem to be much interest in this mod, so I might instead focus on other ideas.

harpo99999

pity, I do use it in my games on alpha2, and was hopingto continue using it when alpha 3 hits

Architect

Quote from: harpo99999 on April 05, 2014, 10:39:28 PM
pity, I do use it in my games on alpha2, and was hopingto continue using it when alpha 3 hits

With a few tag changes totally about 5 minutes of work, this mod can easily be bought up to date with alpha three?
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

WorldOfIllusion

when alpha 3 is out I can have a look at updating it (if it isn't difficult I certainly will make compatibility changes). I currently don't have access to the pre-release alpha 3 build thingy, so can't do that yet unfortunately.
The real question is whether I work on it to add new functionality, i.e. glowroot plants that actually glow at night, glowroot walls that don't need to be power users etc etc.

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: WorldOfIllusion on April 06, 2014, 09:44:50 AM
when alpha 3 is out I can have a look at updating it (if it isn't difficult I certainly will make compatibility changes). I currently don't have access to the pre-release alpha 3 build thingy, so can't do that yet unfortunately.
The real question is whether I work on it to add new functionality, i.e. glowroot plants that actually glow at night, glowroot walls that don't need to be power users etc etc.

Architect can help you make that Alpha 3 ready, as long as he's willing to do it.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Cala13er

Quote from: WorldOfIllusion on April 06, 2014, 09:44:50 AM

I like the potential of your mod, and I'd like to offer my help to you, I have Alpha 3 access and pretty good c# knowledge. Adding the GlowRoot Plants than actually glow at night would be easy, and same with glowroot walls that don't need to be power users. :)