Mobile version of Rimworld would be really cool

Started by letharion, March 06, 2014, 06:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letharion

Following on this post: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2402.0 it would actually be really cool to have rimworld on a mobile device. With the 2D graphics, I could see it work really well on something like a Nexus 10 or Ipad.

I realize it's a lot of work, but perhaps something for Tynan to consider, if he hasn't already.

Thunder Rahja

There really was no need to create a separate thread for this right after the last. There is no way this game will make it to mobile devices.

letharion

The reason I created a separate thread was because the other one was about different games that _are_ available as mobile ones. :) The topics are different.

Quote from: Thunder1 on March 06, 2014, 06:23:45 AMThere is no way this game will make it to mobile devices.

Because? The two primary technologies are Unity and C#, both of which are doable on both Android or iOS (although likely far less common than java/objective-c)

Tynan

The game could go on iPad, some day. It is in the vague long-term plans!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

colonistPally

letharion

Quote from: Tynan on March 06, 2014, 10:34:13 AMThe game could go on iPad, some day. It is in the vague long-term plans!

Yes! (Not that I have an iPad, I mostly own Android devices, but still)

Ender

i would probably buy an iPad JUST to have Rimworld on it, though a question, would we get the game for free as we have paid for it before or would we need to pay for it again? obviously  its just a wondering question as i assume it would be quite the long time before it even matters.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Tynan

Quote from: Ender on March 07, 2014, 05:16:54 PM
i would probably buy an iPad JUST to have Rimworld on it, though a question, would we get the game for free as we have paid for it before or would we need to pay for it again? obviously  its just a wondering question as i assume it would be quite the long time before it even matters.

I don't have the slightest idea, actually.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ramsis

I was actually bothering Tynan earlier in regards to playing RimWorld mobile. I actually play RimWorld on my Android and my iPad through an app called Splashtop.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

letharion

Quote from: Ramsis on March 07, 2014, 05:37:50 PMI actually play RimWorld ... through an app called Splashtop.
Very interesting. Just how well does it work? Does the UI translate reasonably well to the touch interface? I may be motivated to buy a new tablet soon ;)

Thinking more about it, it actually seems highly fitting for RimWorld to work on tablets. Because of it's story driven nature, one could think of RimWorld like something of a dynamic book. I imagine sitting in the couch with a warm cup of tea (or a glass of wine) would work at least as well, or better, than sitting by a desktop when playing.

Ramsis

Quote from: letharion on March 07, 2014, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on March 07, 2014, 05:37:50 PMI actually play RimWorld ... through an app called Splashtop.
Very interesting. Just how well does it work? Does the UI translate reasonably well to the touch interface? I may be motivated to buy a new tablet soon ;)

Thinking more about it, it actually seems highly fitting for RimWorld to work on tablets. Because of it's story driven nature, one could think of RimWorld like something of a dynamic book. I imagine sitting in the couch with a warm cup of tea (or a glass of wine) would work at least as well, or better, than sitting by a desktop when playing.

There is a hell lot of pausing and a bit less highest speed but otherwise it plays like a dream!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Ender

Quote from: Ramsis on March 07, 2014, 09:42:32 PM
Quote from: letharion on March 07, 2014, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on March 07, 2014, 05:37:50 PM
There is a hell lot of pausing and a bit less highest speed but otherwise it plays like a dream!

well then a tablet just may be in my future >:D lounging in a chair and hot chocolate may just be in my future...
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Psyckosama

Quote from: Tynan on March 06, 2014, 10:34:13 AM
The game could go on iPad, some day. It is in the vague long-term plans!

Why not Android?

letharion

gavo2o

I have a windows 8 tablet. (Asus Vivotab Note8) which runs the real X86 version of Windows 8. I have mucked around with Rimworld on the tablet and it is mostly playable. Without keyboard controls to navigate I have issues with moving the camera but other then that it is mostly playable. And as Ramsis previously posted it is possible to play this game on Android devices with Splashtop.

If navigation buttons were added to the game to allow touch screen navigation I'd happily help test out such features.