Closest I can get to RimWorld on a mobile device?

Started by letharion, March 06, 2014, 06:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letharion

Having become a huge fan of RimWorld, I now wish I could play it on the go.

What game(s) are similar to RimWorld, but work on mobile devices?

colonistPally

I have no idea, but I do know there are quite a few games in development right now that are all similarly grid-based but different genres. I'm sure ALL of them will be able to be played on a tablet in one form or another. Probably not natively developed for a while though. Everything I have is Windows and I haven't seen anything on my Windows Phone store like this yet...

If there was I'd be playing it.

Coenmcj

From what I have seen mobile devices do not handle RTS that well, there are TBS (Turn Based Strategies) all over the place though, but nothing similar to Rimworld, I would actually say Rimworld is fairly unique in the PC world to an extent.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

sparda666

I dont see any reason why you cant install rimworld on a tablet that can run windows.

Armorat

I've heard good things about rymdkapsel. Can't tell you first-hand, though, as I ain't got a smartphone.

Pirx Danford

Quote from: Armorat on March 07, 2014, 01:01:45 AM
I've heard good things about rymdkapsel. Can't tell you first-hand, though, as I ain't got a smartphone.

I played through rymdkapsel and its tough to beat it, but its a fun little RTS game.
Check out if the abstract style (like Tetris) matches your tastes... I loved Tetris back in the days, still it took me a bit to get used to the style.
Also after having mastered it replayability is not really given, but until then its a good amount of fun.

What you do is that you build a space station from Tetris blocklike pieces, you need to balance energy, raw material extraction, food production, defense and research with the few people you have. By building barracks one can get more people and assign them to jobs, but to survive the increasingly brutal waves of attackers the station construction has to be thought through quite well.

I got it with a humble bundle and can recommend it :-)

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Coenmcj on March 06, 2014, 06:30:08 PM
From what I have seen mobile devices do not handle RTS that well.
actually a touch screen could handle an RTS very well, as long as its optimized very well, a good example is a game called "RUSE", it could have a been an awesome game on an ipad/iphone but alas they didn't port it due to limitations of hand held device's, but there is an RTS game on mobile devices called "red alert 3".
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

gavo2o

Quote from: sparda666 on March 06, 2014, 11:54:44 PM
I dont see any reason why you cant install rimworld on a tablet that can run windows.

As someone with an x86 Windows tablet I will include my experience here. Rimworld installs and runs fine on a Baytrail Win8 tablet (Asus Vivotab Note8) but the controls of the game are not designed with tablets in mind and it is impossible to navigate by touch.

It does run fine with an external keyboard although my Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad is a bit too small for comfortable use gaming. I'm hoping that there are some UI changes to allow Rimworld to be played on Win8 devices eventually.

Sion

So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

confusedwings

I have a iPhone 5 and really would love the game on my phone... but since i don't know anything about programming i can't do it... a woudn't give real money for it but i would really really do a effort for it...

PLS PLS PLS

iame6162013

but can't u put 'rimworld' on your mobile device, i have heard it's quite good but the map's woud be to big :p
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: iame6162013 on April 05, 2014, 02:25:53 AM
but can't u put 'rimworld' on your mobile device, i have heard it's quite good but the map's woud be to big :p
*uses to fingers to zoom out*
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"