Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamenoitte

Is it my imagination or is grass (literal grass, not marijuana) not spreading at the rate it used to?

Tynan

Thank you for the notes everyone!

Quote from: ReZpawner on August 19, 2016, 11:25:27 PM
Hooray! Found a bug!

Fertilized eggs don't stack, but are in the same location. Right now I have 165 eggs in two different spots in my stockpile. All fertilized such, frozen. http://i.imgur.com/xSq3uRH.png

Do you know how to reproduce that?

Quote from: Ambigore on August 20, 2016, 06:54:14 AM
Hey, I'm really enjoying A15, but found a bug. One of my turrets exploded and killed a few people, including one of my pawns. It also destroyed a few power cables nearby. The following red message came up immediately after. (hopefully the screenshot comes up, but if not the msg said "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object").

Fixed already, please update.

Doc Savage - Thanks for the notes, just be aware that pawns will take drugs outside their policy, for joy or binges or whatever. Policy says what they must take, but they can take more if they choose.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ReZpawner

Got it. It's to do with the freezing of the eggs, and the embryo being destroyed.

The eggs go from "Egg progress: X%" to "Egg progress: Damaged embryo", two items that are not considered the same by the game.

This means that unless they are automatically stacked when they change to damaged, they will still think that they should be in their old stack (the one they were first put in). New eggs that come in with X% progress, will then be put in a new stack on top of the old because they aren't supposed to stack with destroyed ones. Then the embryo is destroyed, and you get another grouping of eggs in the same stack.

So yeah, it's definitely to do with the item type being changed. To reproduce it, just get a freezer with -30C, a couple of chickens (male and female, so they can do it like they do on the discovery channel), A storage area, and someone to fetch the eggs.

It's not a major issue, as it doesn't cause any real problems. The items all work fine, it's just that it looks weird.

featherj

How do you produce joints from marijuana leaves and coke from coca leaves? I am feeling very stupid here, as I assume this is fairly obvious to others due to nobody else asking. Thanks!

ReZpawner

Quote from: featherj on August 20, 2016, 03:20:45 PM
How do you produce joints from marijuana leaves and coke from coca leaves? I am feeling very stupid here, as I assume this is fairly obvious to others due to nobody else asking. Thanks!

You have to make the crafting spot to make joints. It's the first crafting station available in the production menu. In order to make coke, you'll need the research (Flake and\or Yayo production), as well as having built the "drug lab" workbench. I think you'll need the "Drug production" research in order to make even joints, but I can't be 100% certain on it.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: ReZpawner on August 20, 2016, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: featherj on August 20, 2016, 03:20:45 PM

You have to make the crafting spot to make joints. It's the first crafting station available in the production menu. In order to make coke, you'll need the research (Flake and\or Yayo production), as well as having built the "drug lab" workbench. I think you'll need the "Drug production" research in order to make even joints, but I can't be 100% certain on it.

You don't need Drug Production to make joints; you can make them by default. They're the only drugs you can make without that research.

Actually, the Flake/Yayo discussion brings up a good point: could you just combine Flake & Yayo production into a single research that references coca leaves in some way? I didn't even know coca was used for Flake & Yayo until I started a scenario with all the drug research already learned and built a drug lab to check the ingredients.

Ukanda

my colony eat pemmcan instead of simple meal. even i seperate pemmican food to make colonist hard to grab it they still pick pemmcan to eat
here video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXyrCjBkBgI

Spinkick

Press F to make the food off limits. I do this with my survival food.

MikeLemmer

Alright, getting my drug colony up & running, and initial thoughts:

1. Marijuana joints sell for too much.

One harvest from an 8x8 field yielded about 100 joints, which I was able to sell for $800 total. That just about bought me an LMG. That's more than I sold the weapons from 3 raids combined for, and more than I've made from any trade in over 100 hours of playing RimWorld.

2. There should be a way to give drugs to bedridden patients.

I had a patient nearly go berserk due to pain. I couldn't get a joint to him, though, because he was bedridden. This functionality would also be useful for other painkillers.

I've been recording my playthrough for analysis and temporarily stored it here:
https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/profile

The section I'm talking about in particular is here:
https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/v/84794898

(The giant marijuana sale is near the end of that section.)

There also seems to be a bug where if downed enemies catch heatstroke before being captured, it doesn't diminish once they're inside and cooled off.

Tynan

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 20, 2016, 11:37:42 PM
Alright, getting my drug colony up & running, and initial thoughts:

1. Marijuana joints sell for too much.

One harvest from an 8x8 field yielded about 100 joints, which I was able to sell for $800 total. That just about bought me an LMG. That's more than I sold the weapons from 3 raids combined for, and more than I've made from any trade in over 100 hours of playing RimWorld.

2. There should be a way to give drugs to bedridden patients.

I had a patient nearly go berserk due to pain. I couldn't get a joint to him, though, because he was bedridden. This functionality would also be useful for other painkillers.

I've been recording my playthrough for analysis and temporarily stored it here:
https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/profile

The section I'm talking about in particular is here:
https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/v/84794898

(The giant marijuana sale is near the end of that section.)

Thank you for the economics feedback, it's super useful.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MikeLemmer

There also seems to be a bug where if downed enemies catch heatstroke before being captured, it doesn't diminish once they're inside and cooled off.

It's at 1:39:00 in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/v/84794898

The marijuana sale I mentioned is at 1:43:30.

Mag

Here's something that may change.
The deep-mining is too broken, I get 2500 jades only with a 3x3 when the vein is 7x5. See what I mean ? You can get money too fast without difficulty. That's the same thing for gold and uranium. The thing is I still didn't found any steel veins (I've tried 6 veins). Maybe place more steel and make the other veins more  smaller ?
And do you still take saves for the video ?

ReZpawner

Quote from: Mag on August 21, 2016, 12:05:26 AM
Here's something that may change.
The deep-mining is too broken, I get 2500 jades only with a 3x3 when the vein is 7x5. See what I mean ? You can get money too fast without difficulty. That's the same thing for gold and uranium. The thing is I still didn't found any steel veins (I've tried 6 veins). Maybe place more steel and make the other veins more  smaller ?
And do you still take saves for the video ?

If it's unchanged since the first release, then yeah. It's pretty damn overpowered. I got 8000 gold from mining maybe half an hour (real time that is).
I wonder what Tynan had in mind with that layer though. When I first read about it, I assumed it would be an infinite resource, but slower -  Which would've been pretty useful in the long run. Then again, he might have other plans for it. As it is now, it's a bit broken though. At least in my opinion.

Goodbye Babylon

Drugs:

A fun mechanic. It's nice to give my stressed artist some weed so she can keep working through the night, or giving Go-Juice to my fighters. Production is simple, and I appreciate that certain drugs need space chemicals.

The negatives are about addiction and withdrawl. Withdrawl symptoms are -extreme- and I have yet to see one of my people get clean, even spending a few seasons locked up.  It's far easier to just make more drugs and keep them hooked rather than sober up. So, unless I missed something, it may be helpful to implement a way for a doctor to assist someone trying to recover instead just hoping they get better. Perhaps similar to an infection, maybe requiring some glitterworld meds?

Mining Equipment

They are excessively overpowered, and make the mid-late game feel trivial. I feel that decreasing the reward would only make them tedious, perhaps you could increase the risk. Toxic gas leaks, buried mechs, geothermal vents, etc.  When I first tested the item I simply put my scanner behind a switch, so I could find the sites and start digging before I switched it off. The power cost is hefty but you can just sidestep it. Maybe the drill malfunctions without an operating scanner? Maybe someone with the mining skill on the scanner gives you better/worse results?

The balance changes are marvelous too. Thank you for all of your hard work.

ReZpawner

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended, but it doesn't make much sense. The "Teetotaler" trait prevents people from eating chocolate, as well as taking anti-malaria pills. Is this going to be fixed, or is it intended to be that way?