Sunburns

Started by newcadence, August 18, 2016, 11:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newcadence

I got an uncomfortable sunburn today and got this idea.
Whenever a colonist is on a tile which is lit higher than 60% (sun lamps, outdoors) they slowly get a sunburn (i don't know an accurate amount of time)
The colonist will only get sunburns on exposed areas. Colonists in dusters and cowboy hats are much safer than nudists.
Sunburn ranges in severity from trivial to extreme.

Trivial causes enough pain for a -5 debuff and lowers manipulation by a small number
Minor causes more pain, and lowers manipulation and consciousness
Major causes a lot of pain, severely cripples manipulation and lowers consciousness
Extreme will down a colonist due to pain and consciousness loss.

Sunburns can be treated via medicine, and they can be avoided by crafting/buying sunblock and scheduling usage in the drug menu or just staying inside.

milon

+1

I'd also like to see tolerance to sun burns (you know - from tanning).

CannibarRechter

This fits with my thinking that there should be slightly more benefit for roofs. Although I might model it more as sun exposure / sunstroke than sun "burn" strictly speaking.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Peng Qi

This seems like it would be a very low priority change, but it's a good idea for inclusion at some far later date.

Mendel

+1

Since frostbites are a thing, then so should sunburns.

SpaceDorf

It sounds like a pretty minor change.

If you put sun-exposure together with outside temperature it could work like the toxic buildup from fallout.
Slowed down by the right clothes.

Also to let the Glacier Lovers have a bit more suffering. Frostburns.
And maybe freezing extremeties when the hypothermia gets to rough.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

skinicism

Moon-beams could also be a thing. Furthermore, I suspect there could be moon beam nausea and meteorite allergies. The meteorite allergies could help explain the settling of escapees on Rimworld.

Mendel

Actually... allergies might be interesting to have as character trait. Pawns might be allergic to specific food and refuse to eat it/get sick when they do.

On the other side of the coin maybe some pawns might have favorite foods and get extra mood buff whenever they eat specific kind of food. (like, say "ate favorite food: strawberries +5")

carbon

So...what does this stuff add to the game in terms of meaningful gameplay?

We already have incentives to put clothing on pawns in terms of mood de-buffs for nudity, increased temperature tolerances and armor ratings. This sounds like more punishment for a player who is already short on clothing, or who wants to have an outdoor colony.

If we're really considering having our CPUs keep track of yet more variables in terms of light exposure per colonist per tick, there has to be some compelling upside to it other than shallow realism.

Mendel

You could get another reason to not have everyone (non nightfly) always sleep at night and always work at day. This could bring summer siesta to Rimworld :)

Draegon

+1 for the sunburn idea and the allergy idea too! so +2 I guess XD

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Mendel on August 18, 2016, 07:37:19 PM
Actually... allergies might be interesting to have as character trait. Pawns might be allergic to specific food and refuse to eat it/get sick when they do.

On the other side of the coin maybe some pawns might have favorite foods and get extra mood buff whenever they eat specific kind of food. (like, say "ate favorite food: strawberries +5")

There could be life-threatening allergies and non-life-threatening allergies, so the effect of an allergy would either be fatal within a few minutes without antihistamines, or just a slight annoyance. There could also be Epi-Pens as a drug that stop allergies but also make you jittery and filled with adrenaline. Colonists could have known allergies or an event could be:

Allergy discovery - [Colonist] has consumed [food] and realized that [he/she] is allergic to it. It is a [serious/mild] reaction. This can be treated with an Epi-Pen and medicine, but a serious case will cause the colonist to die without treatment. A mild case will just be an annoyance without treatment.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Kegereneku

I support this new way to make our colonist suffer.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !