[A16] Psychology (2017-5-14)

Started by System.Linq, August 19, 2016, 07:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

Minor anxiety gives panic attacks at a considerably reduced rate from extreme. The next version will reduce it even further by adjusting the scaling so extreme anxiety gives them more often. It only generates nightmares if a pawn is asleep during a panic attack. Anxiety treatment is automatic and doesn't even require medicine.

Kyna Tiona

So I sent a couple people out to form a temporary mining colony because I was horrifically low on steel and components*, and quickly noticed that both of them started suffering -10 mood from "stifled individuality". I can only assume it's because 50% of the colony is wearing the same clothes as either one. I find this bug hilarious~

EDIT: Oh, or is that the bug alluded to earlier? I'd thought I was up to date, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll redownload it later and double check.

*: Which turned out to be a terrible decision I regret utterly.

System.Linq

I'm not sure. I'll add some checks to the thought regardless.

System.Linq

Adalah217

Quote from: Psychology on January 02, 2017, 03:32:27 AM
Updated to 2017-1-2.

Perfect! Love the renaming of minor anxiety to "managed"! Also, the update message was great.

Thanks for listening!

coffeedude42

First I wanted to say that I love the mod and the improved ways it handles moods.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is if there was a specific reason you chose the name the trait relating to multiple romantic partners "polygamous" over the more general "polyamorous"? It's pedantic, to be certain, but the latter word is probably more accurate to how you describe the trait.

On the "polygamy" aspect of the trait, however, I think I might have found a small bug with regards to it. When multiple pawns with the trait become involved with each other, and then a pair in the grouping choose to get married, when they do subsequent marriages within the grouping cause "ex-wife/husband" relationships labels and their negative modifiers to be applied amid the grouping, even though they remain romantically involved.

This is probably an edge case--I got the situation using Prepare Carefully to initialize the starting group of colonists as finances of one another to see how the trait interacted with itself. Maybe that situation doesn't arise in gameplay on its own?

Regardless, as a someone in a poly relationship it's neat to have this modded into the game. Now I get to send my happy triads off into the great wide world to, in all likelihood, ultimately murder and devour one another. Fun! :-)

Grogfeld

As this mod interact with many aspects of social behaviour of our pawns I like to point out few things that I noticed. I must admit that Clique is making my game less fun, or made in a couple of days because now it much better. My colony went from almost friendly society to a 2 rival groups only because I captured one of pawns that crash landed in drop pod. She created relationship with recruiter and few ingame days first clique was erected. The funniest thing is that recruiter had all colonist as friends, and few minutes later even her husband was "enemy of my clique" for her, although it was few days ago before new updates. I admire scoop of this mod and changes that makes game more lifelike but this was too "FUN", in a dwarf fortress like style, with berserking, and death and ... manhunter boomalopes pack in the middle, great stuff :D. I had to arrest leader of one group to calm her down because she attack everyone around, even doctors that patched her wounds, now she's constantly in a bed because when someone tries to patch her she attack like she have rabies so doctor applies "anaesthetic" with fist and everything is now OK.

I don't like to criticise without some suggestions so to make things less intense maybe add to every possible social fight trigger, a safe-check, like "health below some threshold" forbids starting fight. Or one fight in a day. I know that social fights are normal between rival groups, but I don't think that starting a fight after you just got your conciousness back is a good idea, also gameplaywise it's less fun to watch when "peace loving" colony goes to prison architect, gang fighting, Alcatraz.

OR

My example was just a bad luck with transition between updates, and bad decisions like capture survivor, and not just rescue her  :D

On a plus side I gained another medic, and in my scenario with 70% of global learning speed it's hard to go from 2 lvl skill to 10 lvl :D
Oh and with how game calculate pawns health when decides to send riders I haven't got raid for 35 days... but I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

Also, not related to topic of my rant, how fast "faction imprisoned me" opinion modifier change? I noticed that after few seasons(?) it start to drop so I'm curious when it starts.

System.Linq

Quote from: coffeedude42 on January 02, 2017, 08:52:53 AM
First I wanted to say that I love the mod and the improved ways it handles moods.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is if there was a specific reason you chose the name the trait relating to multiple romantic partners "polygamous" over the more general "polyamorous"? It's pedantic, to be certain, but the latter word is probably more accurate to how you describe the trait.

On the "polygamy" aspect of the trait, however, I think I might have found a small bug with regards to it. When multiple pawns with the trait become involved with each other, and then a pair in the grouping choose to get married, when they do subsequent marriages within the grouping cause "ex-wife/husband" relationships labels and their negative modifiers to be applied amid the grouping, even though they remain romantically involved.

This is probably an edge case--I got the situation using Prepare Carefully to initialize the starting group of colonists as finances of one another to see how the trait interacted with itself. Maybe that situation doesn't arise in gameplay on its own?

Regardless, as a someone in a poly relationship it's neat to have this modded into the game. Now I get to send my happy triads off into the great wide world to, in all likelihood, ultimately murder and devour one another. Fun! :-)
That's definitely a bug! I'll get it fixed and also rename the trait to Polyamorous because you're right, it's a better name. I know a few poly people, I just didn't think of it when I was making the trait.

Quote from: Grogfeld on January 02, 2017, 11:54:21 AM
As this mod interact with many aspects of social behaviour of our pawns I like to point out few things that I noticed. I must admit that Clique is making my game less fun, or made in a couple of days because now it much better. My colony went from almost friendly society to a 2 rival groups only because I captured one of pawns that crash landed in drop pod. She created relationship with recruiter and few ingame days first clique was erected. The funniest thing is that recruiter had all colonist as friends, and few minutes later even her husband was "enemy of my clique" for her, although it was few days ago before new updates. I admire scoop of this mod and changes that makes game more lifelike but this was too "FUN", in a dwarf fortress like style, with berserking, and death and ... manhunter boomalopes pack in the middle, great stuff :D. I had to arrest leader of one group to calm her down because she attack everyone around, even doctors that patched her wounds, now she's constantly in a bed because when someone tries to patch her she attack like she have rabies so doctor applies "anaesthetic" with fist and everything is now OK.

I don't like to criticise without some suggestions so to make things less intense maybe add to every possible social fight trigger, a safe-check, like "health below some threshold" forbids starting fight. Or one fight in a day. I know that social fights are normal between rival groups, but I don't think that starting a fight after you just got your conciousness back is a good idea, also gameplaywise it's less fun to watch when "peace loving" colony goes to prison architect, gang fighting, Alcatraz.

OR

My example was just a bad luck with transition between updates, and bad decisions like capture survivor, and not just rescue her  :D
Hahaha, that's pretty funny. I'm a little confused as to how you described the clique, though. Did it work like this?
A) Pawn was captured and recruited
B) Pawn makes friends with their recruiter
C) Clique event happens, pawn starts a clique against another colonist
D) Recruiter is pawn's only friend, and so he is the enemy of everyone else he was previously friends with

If so, the recruiter should have had a much smaller chance to trigger fights with people because he was friends with them too. The pawn that hated everyone should be the one having a bunch of fights. It wouldn't just be her, either; if other people disliked her, then they would be picking fights with her as well. Fights have a chance to start whenever one pawn interacts with another, so they will only happen when pawns talk to each other.

If you don't want your pawns to be fighting all the time, then you have to come up with some sort of solution. If one of the clique leaders is removed from the colony (sent on a caravan, killed, etc.) then everyone will stop fighting. You can also try to separate the two cliques so they don't interact. Cliques also will never form if your colonists all like each other.

Quote from: Grogfeld on January 02, 2017, 11:54:21 AM
On a plus side I gained another medic, and in my scenario with 70% of global learning speed it's hard to go from 2 lvl skill to 10 lvl :D
Oh and with how game calculate pawns health when decides to send riders I haven't got raid for 35 days... but I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

Also, not related to topic of my rant, how fast "faction imprisoned me" opinion modifier change? I noticed that after few seasons(?) it start to drop so I'm curious when it starts.
The "faction imprisoned me" modifier goes away after a few seasons, yes.

System.Linq

Nialkier

Is there any way to stop this Clique fighting except dividing the colonists?
Will it pass after few days or it will go on forever?

System.Linq

It will pass after 40 days, or when one of the clique leaders exits the map/dies.

Treason5240

Just a suggestion for the "sabotage" event: make it only able to trigger when you have more than a single colonist.

Three days after landing, my "rich explorer" had this even trigger and that was all she wrote.

doodeeda

I am too attached to my colonists for the sabotage event heh.

System.Linq

Quote from: Treason5240 on January 03, 2017, 03:57:56 AM
Just a suggestion for the "sabotage" event: make it only able to trigger when you have more than a single colonist.

Three days after landing, my "rich explorer" had this even trigger and that was all she wrote.

I've already done that, just not released it.

Quote from: doodeeda on January 03, 2017, 04:19:29 AM
I am too attached to my colonists for the sabotage event heh.

You can recapture and re-recruit them.

Grogfeld

Quote from: Psychology on January 02, 2017, 06:53:23 PM

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. I'm a little confused as to how you described the clique, though. Did it work like this?
A) Pawn was captured and recruited
B) Pawn makes friends with their recruiter
C) Clique event happens, pawn starts a clique against another colonist
D) Recruiter is pawn's only friend, and so he is the enemy of everyone else he was previously friends with

If so, the recruiter should have had a much smaller chance to trigger fights with people because he was friends with them too. The pawn that hated everyone should be the one having a bunch of fights. It wouldn't just be her, either; if other people disliked her, then they would be picking fights with her as well. Fights have a chance to start whenever one pawn interacts with another, so they will only happen when pawns talk to each other.

If you don't want your pawns to be fighting all the time, then you have to come up with some sort of solution. If one of the clique leaders is removed from the colony (sent on a caravan, killed, etc.) then everyone will stop fighting. You can also try to separate the two cliques so they don't interact. Cliques also will never form if your colonists all like each other.

Correct! And recruiter was almost all the time calm so after a while she was again friend to everyone except one doctor (few fights gave them "harmed me" modifier ), and what's funnier Recruiter, probably when got hit few times from her husband (it's a tribe not a modern society so don't judge), decided to join the other team. I've looked on social Tab and after imprisoning the leader of group, she switched sides. Well I don't know mechanics behind this feature so I'm guess she switch sides (-2 "enemy of my clique"). Poor Eminent (leader) she dislikes men, is a cannibal, and a prostophobe. -25 to opinion is devastating I will probably send her to mining camp or to hunt boomalopes. 

I've tried to separate this groups with areas only for them but it wasn't good either. Sending her as prisoner to sell just trigger error spam when she tried to grab something that caravan leader wanted to grab as well.

But it was a good social experiment where, in a almost solid group, one black sheep can mess really hard. What's also important after a while colony was normal again... except 2 dead colonist but that's a price for using Excellent steel mace of Discovery when try to calm someone down.

Like I once said I really love everything in this mod but when not prepared or ignoring cliques you can have prison-like fights everyday... or hour (in-game) so it can be devastating.

Cheers!