Put it on, Take it off, Clothing

Started by Kindyj, August 19, 2016, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindyj

I Tried searching for an answer to this question but didn't find anything Relevant.

I'm wondering...Do I have to tell my colonists to put on better clothes than their wearing or will they automatically do that? Will they automatically put on warmer clothes when it gets cold or lighter clothes when its hot, Or do I have to do that? If I have to do it manually, Is there a MOD to Automate that?

lorebot

As far as I'm aware, by default, colonists only care that they're wearing clothes not what kind of clothes they're wearing. The default clothing choices are defined in the default outfit assignment 'Anything' and it allows colonists to, as the name would suggest, wear anything they find till it falls apart on their body before going to look for better clothes.

You can go into the Assign tab to look at the basic outfit setups and to adjust them as necessary, but I don't believe there's a way to make them put on parkas when it's cold or dusters when it's hot automatically. You would need to setup 2 different outfits, one for cold weather and one for hot, and then just switch them back and forth manually when the weather changes.

When adjusting outfits or making new ones pay attention to the sliders at the top of the settings. Once you've got your colony established and have an abundance of materials and a good tailor it's usually a good idea to move the left sliders up to prevent your colonists from wearing worn out and/or low quality clothing. Any clothing below 51% will cause them to get a mood penalty for wearing worn out clothes and qualities below normal don't provide much benefit. To stop low quality/durability clothing from cluttering up your stores you can build an electric crematory and just burn all the stuff that's below the threshold of your outfits, I've found that's the easiest way to get rid of them without mods. If you're into modding there are a few mods out there that allow you to breakdown clothes to get some materials from them and there's even a mod that allows mending of clothes so you can keep good stuff around forever.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Kindyj on August 19, 2016, 11:32:04 AM
I Tried searching for an answer to this question but didn't find anything Relevant.

I'm wondering...Do I have to tell my colonists to put on better clothes than their wearing or will they automatically do that? Will they automatically put on warmer clothes when it gets cold or lighter clothes when its hot, Or do I have to do that? If I have to do it manually, Is there a MOD to Automate that?

There are mods to automate the whole thing.

There is also a vanilla method to use as well: Look for Assign along the bottom menu. In there you will be able to setup and assign outfits to pawns. You can say what they will and won't wear for each outfit, how much durability and quality is the minimum to keep wearing, etc.

Take a look at that and then fire off some more questions if you have them!

RandomGirl

They'll change clothes if what they have is really worn out and they're complaining about it, it seems. I had a girl join my colony last night and she showed up naked, so was complaining about it. I was making some clothes for her, and when I finished the pants one of the other colonists ran over and grabbed them, swapping them out for her own really worn pair. Poor girl had to put on the old raggedy pair until I could make some more. :)

CannibarRechter

I feel like that if there's 100% clothing available, they'll start volunatarily changing it out at about 80% or so (could be off), even if not told. I'm not sure about the number exactly, but it can't be too far off from that.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

SpaceDorf

Also to quickly satisfy your naked pawns ( yes I noticed it too )
make tribal wear at the crafting spot.
it needs the least amount of cloth and is fast to make and removes the being naked debuff with just one item.
Then you can relax and make normal cloth.

Also I find it easier to change from dusters to parkas in one standard outfit, than designing 2 outfits
( first one is two clicks in the handfull of custom outfits you use, second one is as many 2 clicks as you have colonists )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Shurp

Pawns will trade inferior products if superior ones are available -- but irregularly.  Switching their uniform type (select "Soldier" then go back to "Anything") will provoke them to try on new stuff.  Note that they can do annoying things like grab an awful parka instead of a superior duster so you may need to micromanage your outfits a bit.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

cultist

Pawns don't care about quality - only condition (HP). They will always switch to better condition clothing if their current outfit is worn (<50%) and usually before that, assuming a better option is available.

Keep in mind that quality is only important for some clothing items - mostly the ones that provide temperature protection (parkas, dusters, tuques etc.) Quality of pants for instance, won't matter much unless they are made from something fancy like devilstrand.

ThiIsMe007

Colonists will not use optimal gear on their own, no.

The armor/character UI in vanilla Rimworld is pretty much still a mess, so it doesn't help either.

To avoid the boring micro-managing armor after each raid or end of season, I would warmly recommend this mod.

It takes some time to get used to, but once it's set up as you like it, your pawn should automatically switch to the best gear available that matches their job, the season and your personal preferences.

With the release of the new a15 version, we also seem to be getting "aggregate stats about armor and comfy temperatures", so it should further improve managing gear in game.