Planetary conquest?

Started by Roach, October 16, 2013, 04:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roach

First of all congratulations to your greenlight.

Second, are there any plans on having any kind of "outside map" gameplay?
I find that it was clearly something that lacked in dwarf fortress as you had endless waves marching to your fortress while you could do nothing about it than killing them off.

But how about rimworld? Could you in theory be able to raid other randomly generated colonies and bases? Why build a ship to escape when you can make the planet your own?

Note: I put this in general discussion as I was more open to discuss the idea rather than merely suggest it

Semmy

Quote from: Roach on October 16, 2013, 04:54:20 PM
First of all congratulations to your greenlight.

Second, are there any plans on having any kind of "outside map" gameplay?
I find that it was clearly something that lacked in dwarf fortress as you had endless waves marching to your fortress while you could do nothing about it than killing them off.

But how about rimworld? Could you in theory be able to raid other randomly generated colonies and bases? Why build a ship to escape when you can make the planet your own?

I cant find the reply from tynan atm.
But i think he said that you can't travel to another world and fight.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Roach

Not because I know much about programming but wouldn't it "simply" be a matter of having your selected units enter an "exit location", there after save the game and export the stats of the units in the block.
Generate a map with new parameters then import your units. Disable pretty much everything construction wise and the entire script random event script.
*FIGHT*
Export the stats of the leaving units.
Import them to original game?

As said previously I have am not a programmer thus have no idea how this would actually be done code-wise.

Semmy

Please refrain from bumping this quickly. Try and use the edit post within 24/48 hours after your last post.
And a little patience won't hurt. Give tynan the chance to reply.

Moved topic to suggestions since its more of a suggestion
Edmund Burke

Roach

Quote from: Semmy on October 17, 2013, 09:01:43 AM
Please refrain from bumping this quickly. Try and use the edit post within 24/48 hours after your last post.
And a little patience won't hurt.
Sorry, neither did I know you could bump simply by editing nor did I know that waiting 16 hours labels me as impatient.

Semmy

Ive been searching for you for a while now.
Havent found a conclusive answer.

But so far i havent found or seen a comment that indicates that Tynan/ludeon is planning this for the game.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

You probably won't be going off the map just because it strikes me as inelegant game design. The game is about your colony and the area surrounding it; how you've build the place up and customized it, and the history of events that have occured nearby. We've invested a huge amount of designer and player effort in making that an interesting space with meaning in it. And the AI makes all sorts of assumptions about the game that would break if you took away the base. Sending you off-map throws that all away.

Also, it creates technical/logical problems. Loading into and out of multiple maps is a bit of a headache. Plus, you'd have to tick the original map while you were looking at another one (otherwise it would be frozen in time), which creates a huge performance hit. And you'd have to create new systems for handling needs like eating and sleeping, because they wouldn't be able to go to their beds or a nutrient dispenser.

I'd rather just have a bigger map that you can discover over time, with targets for optional offensive ops scattered around.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Roach

Seems like you have a very nice concept right there.

Haplo

I agree with Roach here. It seems to be a really nice concept.
Especially with the bigger, discoverable map later on.. (Do I smell archeological sites or enemy outposts?  ;D)
Looking forward to it.  8)

CommieKazie

This is certainly an inelegant system, but might be interesting as a mod or somesuch:

You send a party off of the map.  The game freezes the colony and allows you to explore whatever you'd like (however that's generated, etc...).

When your exploration party returns you have the option to
1)  Run simulation (the computer zips through how long you were gone and gives you the result
or
2)  Play as colony.  You begin where the colony 'froze' and just play the game as you would.  However long it you took exploring is how long those characters are gone.  Eventually they return, and your game 'timelines' converge.

Haplo

Personal I like Tynans proposal more..
I find it unrealistic to continue to play your colony where you left of. And your other variant could result in a totally destroyed colony you return to.
(You missed the last 3 raider attacks while strolling through other realms  ;D)
Both variants aren't really satisfying to me..

Roach

Newly generated maps shouldn't perhaps be necessary as the lack of  z-levels would make it possible to have these enormous maps. Perhaps even like minecraft with the map randomly generating content the further you go.

Semmy

Basicly i think the question for tynan is will i go into other systems/planets/whatever i can attack and discover.

Or will they improve performance and get the game to run on bigger maps.
So there is more to discover/destroy and wreck.
Edmund Burke

CustodianV131

Seems a bit beyond the scope of the game to me. Focus should be on the colony building imo.

Having some goals on the map the colony might be nice though. IE a passing trader camps for a night with his caravan guards and you can try and take them out and take the goods for yourself, a lair of a particular nasty beast (The BOOMrat king :D) with some small rewards, ect.
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

starlight

Quote from: Tynan on October 17, 2013, 01:48:32 PM
You probably won't be going off the map just because it strikes me as inelegant game design. The game is about your colony and the area surrounding it; how you've build the place up and customized it, and the history of events that have occured nearby. We've invested a huge amount of designer and player effort in making that an interesting space with meaning in it. And the AI makes all sorts of assumptions about the game that would break if you took away the base. Sending you off-map throws that all away.

Also, it creates technical/logical problems. Loading into and out of multiple maps is a bit of a headache. Plus, you'd have to tick the original map while you were looking at another one (otherwise it would be frozen in time), which creates a huge performance hit. And you'd have to create new systems for handling needs like eating and sleeping, because they wouldn't be able to go to their beds or a nutrient dispenser.

I'd rather just have a bigger map that you can discover over time, with targets for optional offensive ops scattered around.

Can we have areas to discover which will give us other colonies / outposts to destroy / conquer / takeover / raid from.

However, if at all implemented, I would like this to be an option.

Otherwise, it becomes too much RTS-style. (Good to have it as an option, though)