Tynan is getting nasty

Started by jjgoldman, March 14, 2014, 10:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freya 'Tail' Fairwing

I love the idea of raiders dropping into the middle of the colony. It'd be amazing to have a group of them punch right through the roof of the dining hall, just as my colonists are eating. Immediate bar brawl.

keylocke

Quote from: Tatter Tail on March 15, 2014, 07:10:06 PM
I love the idea of raiders dropping into the middle of the colony. It'd be amazing to have a group of them punch right through the roof of the dining hall, just as my colonists are eating. Immediate bar brawl.

that wouldn't make much sense though if most of the base is inside a mountain, unless raiders got teleporters. lol

btw, will the mechs and vehicles be part of the Alpha3 update? i wanna get me some titanfall rimworld style action. hahaha..  ;D

ShadowTani

Love these changes too. :3

I think he should fix the issue with drop pods coming through the roofs though because that's just weird. But I wouldn't mind if we had a type of raid where a high-tech faction use teleportation to send in a small group of high-tech soldiers (or even mechanoids).

palandus

People should play Quake 2 or Quake 4... drop pods should be able to crash through thin metal roofs. Heck, they should be able to crash through anything not made from solid stone, like a metal wall. Thick rock roofs? I dunno about that.

keylocke

-btw, how does the game calculate the raider difficulty to spawn?

is it based on the number of colonists? the number of the total value of assets on stockpiles? is it based on the number of days passed? the number of turrets? is it fully random? what are the factors involved in it's calculation?

-secondly, if the raiders will now have the ability to spawn practically anywhere inside the base (even through roofs or mountains). then defensive design strategies becomes a moot point and combat becomes a numbers game based on the quantity and the quality of available troops, as well as planning the base around several backup systems, rather than focusing on defense.. (i might even decide to split the base into several splinter groups)

this also means that aside from the people who will do the growing, the cooking, the building, the mining, and the socializing, everyone else that players are gonna recruit are going to be focused primarily on combat skills. and this would especially be true if the difficulty of raiders spawned also takes the number of available colonists into it's calculation. (players are gonna want to keep their colonists down to a bare minimum to keep raider spawns low, especially if they can no longer depend on the base defenses)

i'm rather intrigued about this new update to see how it would affect the gameplay. there's just so many possibilities.  ;D

colonistPally

I think I'm almost ready to make a colony 11. However I don't think the drop pods dropping in the base is going to be an issue once we start making staggered internal defenses and make essentially the entire base internal.

I recall a screenshot a few weeks back of where turrets breaking line of sight just annihilate intruders.. I have an external system that does it. I can just internal <'s and >'s V's ^'s and the AI can't handle it. I don't know. I guess I'm not sold on the idea.

The AI would need to have to read and analyze do the math and range of the defenses and know where to drop in a place that made sense otherwise I would expect some to get KO'ed and/or die in the landing which doesn't happen.

I don't know. I guess it bugs me to implement A - without a +. Allow us defense surface to air turret upgrades or stinger missiles so we can create a perimeter to at least trim them down, and not let them blast through mountains.. I don't know. I don't think I'm quite in the right frame of mind right now. :/

Serrate Bloodrage

As it stands Raiders are jokingly easy to defeat.

Mind you, I also agree they shouldn't be able to blast through 'Thick roof' to land deep in your base. I also agree that blasting through any roof should have a chance of injuring and killing a few.

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

bigwolf2101

I don't think he is trying to be nasty more like diablo from hell on earth nasty is more like it

ShadowTani

Quote from: palandus on March 15, 2014, 08:20:20 PM
People should play Quake 2 or Quake 4... drop pods should be able to crash through thin metal roofs. Heck, they should be able to crash through anything not made from solid stone, like a metal wall. Thick rock roofs? I dunno about that.

Yes... But it's weird if it has no visual effect, such as debris and a hole in the roof that must be repaired. If Tynan wants to make roofs constructable, then sure, drop-pods through thin roof will be a welcome feature. But it would be silly to make a huge project out of changing how roofs work just for the sake of making something like that look more satisfactory rather than like a bug as it does now - it really should have more features tied to it to be worth it.

That's why I feel Tynan might just as well restrict drop pods to non-roof areas and instead allow high-tech factions to teleport instead of using drop-pods. That way majority of factions wouldn't be able to breach the base like that, but have a few that could really shake up one-trick players a bit.

Serrate Bloodrage

I loved base defense missions in the original XCom, especially when the aliens had the guided missile launchers. It felt like a tragic last stand, fighting in the hallways and falling back. Drawing aliens into hasty set ambushes. Ahh the joy

Tynan

When they center-drop the colony I'm thinking that the drop pods will take some time to open, thus giving the player at least a few moments to respond.

Also, the more dangerous the mode of assault, the fewer raiders. Ambush has fewer raiders than wait-then-attack. Center-drop has even fewer.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Serrate Bloodrage

Will they have a chance to die on base entry Tynan?

Stickle

Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 16, 2014, 06:36:21 PM

What is the point of that? If they die on entry, then nothing happens, so the event may as well just not happen...

If there is a chance for only a portion of the raiders to die on entry, then that would just affect the average # of raiders and the variance, in which case Tynan could just alter the numbers to achieve the same effect.

I don't see the point.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Stickle on March 16, 2014, 10:04:13 PM
Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 16, 2014, 06:36:21 PM

What is the point of that? If they die on entry, then nothing happens, so the event may as well just not happen...

If there is a chance for only a portion of the raiders to die on entry, then that would just affect the average # of raiders and the variance, in which case Tynan could just alter the numbers to achieve the same effect.

I don't see the point.
I think the point is whether it's a raider landing or a free pile of raider flesh. This could be a good thing (more protein for all) or a bad thing (my bed is full of entrails).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Serrate Bloodrage

Corpses have an effect on the game..I, however, would like to see it purely for the feel. Early paratroopers had significant risk of injury and death, its what set them apart from other forces at the time. A risk vs reward. Having a couple of insane raiders risk death punching through solid stone into my base creates a more immersive experience for me.
Im sorry you dont see the point and I hope this clears up why Im interested to know