[A15] Electric Stove is disconnected despite being connected to geothermal

Started by wecowidow, September 03, 2016, 02:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wecowidow

I have a geothermal power generator hooked up and power lines going to two different electric stoves.  Both stoves are showing disconnected and needing power.  I have a bill set up and can't tell a pawn to cook.  I put a lamp further down the line to test and it lit up without issue.

I am running vanilla flavored RimWorld.

I have attached a save game and log file. 

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Ark

You have a single geothermal producing 3600W.
You have two sun lamps, one regular lamp, and a hi-tech research bench consuming 2*1600+75+250=3525W.
You have 75W left to work with, and an electric stove needs 350W.
You just need more power generation.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report, and especially for the save game file. I wish everyone who posted a bug would include a save file, as it's a great time saving device for confirming bugs. So it's really appreciated to include one. Anyways...

There is no bug in this particular case though (easy to spot thanks to the save file!). Your issue is being caused by a simple lack of power. The Geothermal Generator produces 3600W, but you already have 2x Sun Lamp (2x1600W), and a Hi-tech Research Bench (250W), drawing power from it. 3600W-3450W means 150W of free power remaining. A single Electric Stove requires 350W, so you are currently 200W short. The lamp you built to test the line only requires 75W, which is why it works when the Electric Stove doesn't.

If you click on a section of Power Line, then it gives you the free power figure for that line. So in your save game, if you click on a Power Line it gives you the figure of 75W (3600W-3450W-75W=75W). If you turn off one of your Sun Lamps then the Electric Stoves will come on shortly afterwards.

Not sure if you know this, but plants rest at night and do not grow (off the top of my head, they rest between 19h-6h), so some players like to power Sun Lamps with Solar Generators, as they don't work at night either. Other player will simply switch Sun Lamps off at night instead, but that comes with a bit of micro-management, and remembering to do it every day.

I'll leave this thread one for a few days in case you reply, otherwise it will be locked as a non-bug.

Edit - Ah, ninja'd (thanks for the assist Ark) - Well that's what I get for doing too much multi-tasking I guess :(

Jimyoda

Quote from: Ark on September 03, 2016, 03:42:57 AM
You have a single geothermal producing 3600W.
You have two sun lamps, one regular lamp, and a hi-tech research bench consuming 2*1600+75+250=3525W.
You have 75W left to work with, and an electric stove needs 350W.
You just need more power generation.
Absolutely.
By the way, I noticed those sunlamps positions are very wasteful. They overlap alot which provides no benefit and alot of their radius is blocked by walls and even stone floor where plants won't grow.  You could expand the room for better efficiency plus more garden space. Or you could use one sunlamp instead, placed in the center of the room. The lamp still gives off 60% outside of it's 100% light radius up to 10 cells away. The plants with less light will grow slower, but they'll still grow, and don't forget now you saved 1600 Watts to run your other appliances.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

wecowidow

Thanks for the info. I had a brain fart. That's what I get for playing at 2 in the morning.

Thanks for the info on the lamps. I knew they gave off 60% further out, just didn't know it was 10 spaces. I'll adjust accordingly. The walls are temporary. I had a cold snap come through and wasn't sure how long it would last. I normally plant outside and stock up for winter. I use the off season to expand the base.