Is Ludeon Studios ONLY Tynan?

Started by Helpful Bot, September 04, 2016, 12:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helpful Bot

Real question. Tynan seems to be the face of all progress that is made with Rimworld. I'm no business major but this game has to be putting Ludeon just a hair above poverty level. How big is the Dev team, anyone know? Is it just Tynan and, Milan (I think I recall his main moderator being named something around those lines) Love the game and am just curious of this to be able to predict the future progress on the game. Most tiny studios that hit a nerve like Rimworld has begins hiring reasonably quickly but Ludeon seems quite hush about their success.

Cimanyd

Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Jinxi

Helpful Bot

Helpful Bot

I saw that blog post which kind of sparked this posting. It lists the only in-house dev as Tynan with the other people just being outside collaborators. Perhaps this is just a matter of semantics but it definitely leads me to believe that it's really just him as the only full-time dev.

buttflexspireling

The main project manager seems to be Tynan even though the company itself is backed by a powerful and well-respected community organizer apparently.

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: Helpful Bot on September 04, 2016, 12:20:53 AMHow big is the Dev team, anyone know? Is it just Tynan and, Milan (I think I recall his main moderator being named something around those lines)

QuoteI started my indie studio Ludeon Studios by myself in 2012 and have gotten help from a number of excellent musicians, artists, and programmers. Currently I'm working on the game with Ison, Polish coding prodigy.
source

It's indeed amazing to think what a single dev (at the beginning at least, with some help today it seems) can do.

On a market filled to the brim with stale AA games that are averse to change and creativity, that tend to copy each other instead, or even copy themselves (HD remakes, etc.), indies have the best chance at producing "pleasant surprises" I noticed (even if there remains a lot of "crap games" to filter through as well).

It's also why I try to support these "indies" whenever I can (buying their games, or on patreon).

Mr.Cross

I believe Ison does a decent amount of coding for this as well, I.E. Tynan saying when he was going on break Ison would still be working on the game, and even a couple of times when a bug appeared that needed squashed, that Ison had done that section and that he would squish it.
Claims to know most things.

Jinxi

Quote from: ThiIsMe007 on September 04, 2016, 10:19:32 AM
It's indeed amazing to think what a single dev (at the beginning at least, with some help today it seems) can do.

On a market filled to the brim with stale AA games that are averse to change and creativity, that tend to copy each other instead, or even copy themselves (HD remakes, etc.), indies have the best chance at producing "pleasant surprises" I noticed (even if there remains a lot of "crap games" to filter through as well).

It's also why I try to support these "indies" whenever I can (buying their games, or on patreon).
Totaly agree. You can see how much passion Tynan puts in his "baby ". So much attention to detail, so many little things that make the game unique for me.

makkenhoff

Have to say, yeah, that's the draw for putting money into indie titles. I'd rather pay for 10 Indie style games that flop, then pay 5x the price of one Indie title for one AAA game that fails to leave me with anything but regret.

ReZpawner

Months from now, when people are wondering why on earth we keep calling him Tyler, we can all look back and think of this wonderful post. Even Tyler himself. Oh what great times we have ahead of us.

Grishnerf

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Ramsis

And remember kids, Milon is a huuuuuuuuuge nerd!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tynan

Ison is working pretty much full time for a while now so there's really two of us.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Helpful Bot

I'm impressed. Of all the games I've played with massive dev teams that have turned out bland and benign games; a single dude puts out a game that I just can't put down or stop modding. Thank you sir. Games like factorio are what prompted this post. Factorio was great fun but the pace at which their dev team operated was so slow that it really sapped the motivation to mod it. Tynan seems to be doing great with the pace on this game; but I fear sooner or later as the game evolves his time will be dominated with troubleshooting and support instead of sculpting his vision for the game's future. Its strange to think of such things but as a modder; it helps to know the game you're working on is moving forward.