"Beavers!"

Started by Franklin, September 05, 2016, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin

The roving gang of tree-clearing alpha beavers that doesn't seem to go away is a nightmare event. It cleared half the map's trees before I realized it wasn't going to go away. I took a few hunters out there and first shot the beavers swarmed them, they could take bullets like wolves. They dropped the hunters, then swarmed the base on the other side of the map, killing the rest of my colony.

Honestly, I love this game, but some of these events are really unbalanced and not at all fun.

edit: I couldn't even be more prepared, it was fairly early into my game.

Spudra

Which story teller did you use?
I once had beavers, and i instantly targetted them for my hunters. It took a while to have them all taken down, but it was somehow easy, and i got a lot of food/leather form it ^^  But i don't remember how far i was in game.

mew_the_pinkmin

What?!? Beavers killed you! Sorry but that's hilarious. Out of the 20 times thay visited me me in a15 I didn't even know they would fight back if if you didn't melee them. I guess just use survival rifles or greatbows and don't get to close.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver

Wex

Randy threw them on me on day 7.
It was savescum time.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Franklin

Quote from: Spudra on September 05, 2016, 10:40:58 AMWhich story teller did you use?
This was Phoebe Chillax on 'Some challenge', and it happened on the 15th day of my first Fall. I didn't expect these to be super beavers when I took a few hunters out to dispatch them because of how early into the game it was.

Also I'm a Permadeath masochist, so I just took what the beaver God had to give me at that point.

Franklin

When the swarm was making its way to my base, I had two more riflemen and my cook with a handgun hold up in a bunker just before the entrance to the base. But they swarmed the bunker like vampires in heat, there was no stopping them with just 3 men.

cultist

Beavers don't attack unless a hit on them triggers the manhunter state. A pack of manhunting anything can be a huge problem early on. You just got really unlucky. In most cases, the beaver event just means free food because as mentioned, they are not hostile when they spawn.

Franklin

Dang, that's some shitty luck.

Wex

One of the best tactic is find them when they are sleeping, close them into a wodden structure.
They don't eat the wodden wall and die by starvation. Surrounded by food.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Serenity

Never had a problem hunting them down. Maybe if only have crappy shooters. And they never went hostile on me

MikeLemmer

I almost had that happen to me one time as well: the entire beaver pack went Manhunter while I only had 4 colonists. However, here's 2 dirty secrets that saved me:

• If you break Line-of-Sight by entering a door, they only attack that door for a bit before getting bored and wandering off.
  • The Manhunter state goes away if they leave.

I already had a wall and door set up next to a wall. When I entered it they nearly destroyed the door but didn't. After that, I just waited overnight for them to sleep it off, then gathered my hunters and tried again.

APPENDEUM: It also helps if you wait a bit for the pack to spread out before you hunt them. That way only a few beavers go Manhunter.

Thraxon

Beavers are a thing when they manhunter, but you can run at almost the same speed, so you can pause and call your army while hunter run for his life.

But elk and dears are, beleve me, much more dangerous because you can't escape from the mighty stags  :D

Arctic_fox

I use a 10 step process to get rid of beavers.

Step 1. Get as many grenades as you can find
Step 2. Wait for night and them to sleep
Step 3. Go out to where they are
Step 4. Throw 6 grenades onto a sleeping beaver
Step 5. Try not to fall out of your chair laughing
Step 6. Free food
Step 7. While your out go find a pack of boomrats or boomalopes
Step 8. Repat steps 3-5
Step 9. Make sure your freezer accepts animal corpses
Step 10. Have 1-2k meat early on and a good laugh.

John_Bigless

Quote from: Franklin on September 05, 2016, 10:38:38 AM
The roving gang of tree-clearing alpha beavers that doesn't seem to go away is a nightmare event. It cleared half the map's trees before I realized it wasn't going to go away. I took a few hunters out there and first shot the beavers swarmed them, they could take bullets like wolves. They dropped the hunters, then swarmed the base on the other side of the map, killing the rest of my colony.

Honestly, I love this game, but some of these events are really unbalanced and not at all fun.

edit: I couldn't even be more prepared, it was fairly early into my game.
I am pretty good at eliminating beavers.
I set all of them to be hunted by hunters (to add some automation, i guess)
Or, i usually draft my colonists and kick ass.

Shurp

Alpha beavers *usually* won't attack if you shoot them.  So the "Beavers!" event usually just means "free food at the edge of the map waiting for you to take".  If you're on a large map it's often not worth the hassle of hauling them home.  Just shoot them and let them rot/freeze.

If they do attack, it helps to have some turrets back at base :)

My impression is that manhunting animals will give up if you stay indoors for a while.  So a viable option is to stay inside, then wait for some pirates to kill them (or vice versa).
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.