"Beavers!"

Started by Franklin, September 05, 2016, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aatxe360

Sleep cures the lone manhunter status(or those groups triggered by hunting) except for the manhunter event.  Though, when the manhunters from that event start leaving the map and are still maddened, they actually ignore your colonists even if they are shooting at them.  The drawback is that it takes quite a while for them to exhaust themselves and try and sleep.

FridayBiology

Personally I group my colonists within a few days of the event and then bunch closeby and then single target them so that the targetted beaver doesn't get time to become a manhunter and instead is killed outright.
Try to target the closest as sometimes the missed shots can harm one in the way and that then changes them to manhunters.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

rexx1888

its complaints like this that make me reevaluate my stance on "nightmare" events an wonder if im just approaching them all wrong...

i dont think ive ever even thought of the beavers as an event. A box turns up, i designate them for hunting an i never see them again... bigger maps make them a complete non event. They simply cant eat trees quick enough to keep them from growing back. Hell, i reckon i could leave a few alive n just have a population of alpha beavers on a map some day

KnockTwice

Alphabeavers were the death of my first colony.  The first time Alphabeavers showed up, I sent a colonist out and shot them one by one. No problem.

The second time they showed up, I sent a poorly armed band of my three best colonists out.  They all rampaged simultaneously, downing two of them (out of five colonists).  I managed to survive that, with a pet doing the rescuing, but they were so injured that when a fire broke out in the hydroponics room, everyone burned to death.

Since then, I have never seen an Alphabeaver rampage.  OP was unlucky.  Now, though, I always draft a large mob to deal with the Alphabeavers.

A few minutes ago, I got three events at once: Alphabeavers, Mad Animal, and a poison ship with four defenders that landed inside my base.  We survived, but...ouch.

Again: OP was unlucky.  Alphabeavers don't rampage often, but it is a possibility.

carbon

Assuming you have at least one colonist who can outrun whatever manhunters you trigger they are pretty easy to take down. Just draft the runner and have them go in elliptical back-and-forth arcs within shooting range of the rest of the colonists with the pack on their tail.

Manhunters go after the nearest colonist, so just keep the non-runners at a safe distance and they can shoot continuously until the last manhunter dies.

Franklin

Okay, again... Managed to drop 2 beaves before the third sparked the rest of the dozen to attack my colony. Again, early-ish into the game, only 3 colonists with basic firearms. Dropped us like a pack of wolves.

Either I'm the least lucky person in the world, or the chance to go manhunter (which I'm increasingly believing is a ridiculous game element) is higher than it should be.

Shurp

Very, very weird.  Maybe you should leave the beavers alone until you have some turrets.  Beavers are slow; you should be able to run home and let the turrets do the rest.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Anonymous_Captain

Beavers are essentially food relief by the game. Never in my playtime have I ever encountered a deadly Beaver pack. Bad luck man!
Anonymous Captain, here to serve and become the ultimate Anonymous Internet Captain.

Shurp

Are you playing with a mod that changes beaver behavior?  (Not that I can imagine why anyone would mod that)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Franklin

No mods, entirely vanilla. Also on Phoebe Chillax/'Some challenge', so it's not like I'm grinding through some ridiculously punishing mode.

I'm willing to assume it's still just bad luck, but it's making me skeptical. I'd leave the dang things alone, but they never go away if I do, so eventually they end up just eating half the map's trees before I decide to deal with them.

Britnoth

Okay.

How is everyone having problems with herd animals going manhunter?!?

Are you all hunting with the pistol or something?!!

mcgnarman

I've actually loved beaver events. I just set them all to be hunted and a few days later they are gone. Never had a beaver revenge for the whole group before....

myfirstme

I have had the beaver event 3 times now. Twice everything was fine, but one time they became manhunters. My early colony with 3 fighters and one pacifist was almost destroyed. The 3 fighters downed the beavers, but had to be rescued by the pacifist. Nobody was lost, but I burned through almost all medicine to heal them. Was armed with the standard starting weapons.

Dingus

I've had a beaver revenge a couple times, and a mass revenge once. Beavers aren't the most durable creatures so a decent marksman can usually put a couple down while they are charging at him. Also here's a free tip: Never let someone with a melee weapon hunt unless it's a small animal. Animals almost always retaliate when hit with a melee weapon.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

juanval

Two of my colonists (the tailor and the artist) were hunting beavers too close. Beavers became mad and killed my tailor and downed my artist  ;). The angry beavers attacked my colony but turrets killed them. The artist was rescued and healed, and he became the key in the next raid for the survival of the colony  ;D
Next year another wave of beavers appeared, but this time the colony was more populated and strong, and the artist and other 3 colonists, all with good skills in shooting, killed easily the new beavers
Rimword is great. It's like watching a film  8)
I hope to see more new events in the future