"Innocent prisoners" are more important then colonists

Started by kuledude, September 09, 2016, 02:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotix14

Well not every predator, I mean if you make sure your pawns don't work themselves into a dead end you have little to fear from bears(since they are slower than slowpoke colonists). Anything that's faster than your colonists can be a problem if you send them halfway across the map without back up or panic shelters(3x3 with doors on all 4 sides) nearby.

Goldenpotatoes

There really should be tags applied to prisoners based on where they came from before imprisonment that decides on how heavy the debuff for them dying in your captivity.

The guy that was just part of the group that tried to besiege your colony with mortar-fire? I doubt most people would care much if he dropped dead.

The trader from the friendly caravan you decided to attack for their gear dies from the wounds you inflicted? Yeah, I'd imagine that'd lay pretty heavily on most people's conscious' and start questioning the way the place is ran.

mcgnarman

Underrated post.

Also, I've never had a predator attack a colonist. Always my little animals.

Too-DAMN-Much

additionally, a cannibal only colony that regularly kills, butchers and eats outsiders shouldn't ALL get a huge mood debuff when i harvest organs from a prisoner and then euthanise, if anything extra meat should make them happy.

game breaking, no joke.

HenrEek

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM
Between that and the "capture escape pod survivors to recruit them", I suspect the whole Prisoner/Medical system will be overhauled soon.

OOT here, but yes, I think the decision to recruit a survivor or let it go should be done at a hospital bed, not on a prison cell... On my first game, I lost a very nice recruit by treating him, instead of capturing him...

avilmask

I find it weird, too. I actually think most people should be more eager to punish a former evil, especially if it's vulnerable, harmless now. And especially if colonists are on edge. I thought I'll have to protect my prisoners from depressed colonists. But now they even have a 0 opinion of former raider. It should be something like "former cop" trait in PA. Colonists should get opinion hits like "their faction killed my friend/soulmate X", or "he killed X", and decay very slowly. Capture raiders exactly to execute them, and euthanasia should give negative hits due to "lack of punishment". Why so humanist? Give lynch mobs! And, of course, vengeful and pacifist characters should act differently.
Well, just one more idea to a pull of 1.000.000 ideas.

MikeLemmer

Fun fact: there's absolutely no penalty for letting a downed neutral you rescued die.

RawCode

system is not about realism or logic, it's about drama.

Posswam

I think maybe we're all treating the 'innocent prisoner' problem as if it's completely black and white.

If someone has been attacking you and your home, then of course there is going to be some ill-will towards that person.  On the other hand, once they have been taken into captivity they are ultimately helpless.  Regardless of what they have done, if you have chosen to imprison them then they are in your care.

That leads to the question – why did you capture them in the first place? If you wanted to kill them, why didn't you do that during or directly after the battle?  If your aim is to recruit them, then we're assuming that the colony are willing to live and work alongside this person in just a few days, so would they really be completely okay with them needlessly dying?  If your plan is to harvest the prisoner for organs or eat them – fine! But you have to expect civilised people to take issue with that.

Having said all that, it's obvious that the death of a friend or colleague is more upsetting than the death of an unknown aggressor – but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be upsetting to most people.  Perhaps the simplest route would be just to switch the negative impact of these two debuffs.

Calahan

Tynan has posted on Reddit about the innocent prisoner situation, and that "this has been taken care of now". So it's probably safe to assume that there will be some changes to this in A16. Here is a link to the Reddit thread in question:-
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/513se8/innocent_prisoner_died/

And the two quotes by Tynan from it:
"Yep, I think you're right. There are cases where this thought doesn't make sense. I'll work on it for the next alpha. Thanks for reminding me"
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/513se8/innocent_prisoner_died/d79kg7y

"Okay, this has been taken care of now."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/513se8/innocent_prisoner_died/d7uwpqh

Bruxy

Quote from: Shurp on September 18, 2016, 07:25:57 AM
...it's hard for the game to distinguish "he was trying to kill us so we had to put him down" from "we're torturing prisoners for the fun of it and oops one of them died."  So the game punishes both."

Really? So how does it know when a prisoner should attack your colonists or just eat her dinner like a good inmate?

(Hint: their names go red)

Serenity

There is also some weirdness where I get a -8 social malus for executing a prisoner. Not a mood debuff(!), but apparently the others don't like executioners

With an all-psychopaths colony. Now with "normal" people that might make sense. But psychopaths aren't supposed to care about that.

avilmask

Quote from: Posswam on September 27, 2016, 06:42:15 AM
That leads to the question – why did you capture them in the first place? If you wanted to kill them, why didn't you do that during or directly after the battle?  If your aim is to recruit them, then we're assuming that the colony are willing to live and work alongside this person in just a few days, so would they really be completely okay with them needlessly dying?  If your plan is to harvest the prisoner for organs or eat them – fine! But you have to expect civilised people to take issue with that.
I imprison them to execute as example. It's difference between shooting criminals at field and executing them in prison. Especially disarmed criminals.
Oh, it's so nice of my colonists to be polite about prisoners and friend killers, against the background of smashing each other faces and being happy about death of rivals, going berserk about another guy having more impressive room.

Zhentar

Quote from: Posswam on September 27, 2016, 06:42:15 AM
Having said all that, it's obvious that the death of a friend or colleague is more upsetting than the death of an unknown aggressor – but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be upsetting to most people.  Perhaps the simplest route would be just to switch the negative impact of these two debuffs.

If they knew and liked the colonist, there's already another debuff for that, and it lasts quite a bit longer and can be quite a bit larger. The 'colonist died' debuff is mostly just there to make it so you can't intentionally kill colonists to dodge the 'colonist euthanized' debuff.

JuicyPVP

Glad to hear it is getting fixed. Now I can sell all the captured raiders I want. lol.