Rimworld is the best game ever made

Started by hoochy, September 09, 2016, 11:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoochy

I know it makes me sound like some kind of teenage fanboi (I'm 40 though), but right now this is the best game ever made. I must have put over 2000 hours into playing it now, which is pretty ridiculous when I think about things I could be doing otherwise. Sure the game has issues, but most things can be improved or fixed with mods. You go away from it and then there is always some thing in your head that brings you back to it.

I've been playing games since the 80s and this game is the closest yet to the game I always wanted to play in that time. Again, I'm not saying it is perfect because it's not, but it is the best game ever made.

There I said it. Congrats Tynan, the mod makers and the community here.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheDirge

We should start crowdfunding for money so we can build a temple honoring Tynan

chinothepony

I'm feeling your vibe on this. Altho I feel that way for a diff game that starts with a 7, this game does have me hooked. And I know it's a good game when you feel for these little hovering balls of people haha. I even feel for my turkey who got both its legs shot off and was forced to sit on its animal bed for the rest of its life.

Generalkrunk

Quote from: TheDirge on September 10, 2016, 06:49:27 AM

My construction level is only 2 is that gonna be a problem while building the temple?
Everything burns.

Shurp

My colony ran out of steel for the temple :(
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

14m1337

Quote from: Generalkrunk on September 10, 2016, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: TheDirge on September 10, 2016, 06:49:27 AM

My construction level is only 2 is that gonna be a problem while building the temple?

should be good enough for the floors. can't destroy much there. and it's a good exercise for getting better  :P
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Michigo

It's certainly not "the best game ever", but it has a solid foundation and much room to grow further.

I already like it very much at this point in time, and i see a bright future for Rimworld in the niche it's positioned in.

The game closest to being "the best game ever" for my personal taste was Warcraft 3 + it's bazzilion funmaps.
Come to think of it: both Rimworld AND Warcraft 3 have a solid foundation and a strong modding community. :)

PS:
We need a Temple-of-Tynan mod asap!

hoochy

Quote from: Michigo on September 10, 2016, 10:19:14 AM
It's certainly not "the best game ever", but it has a solid foundation and much room to grow further.

I already like it very much at this point in time, and i see a bright future for Rimworld in the niche it's positioned in.

The game closest to being "the best game ever" for my personal taste was Warcraft 3 + it's bazzilion funmaps.
Come to think of it: both Rimworld AND Warcraft 3 have a solid foundation and a strong modding community. :)

PS:
We need a Temple-of-Tynan mod asap!

I wouldn't call Rimworld the best game ever made if it wasn't for the mods. But Rimworld allowing mods to do what they do is part of its attraction. Tynan lets mod authors get in pretty deep with a lot of stuff.

Rimworld without mods is a great game, but with those mods you can just take it into another realm altogether. So much freedom to experiment with different things. I put maybe 800 hours into 7 days to die so I'm aware that game has a fair amount of attraction too for survival nuts. I can't really get into 7 days to die anymore though since Rimword, the game doesn't have anywhere near as much depth besides the graphics. And 7 days to die has quite a lot of "snow globing" when it comes to the simulation which breaks the immersion.

I'm a games programmer myself, Rimworld makes me want to do a 3D version of the basic engine and hope that mod authors come to add content. :) I guess Dwarf Fortress inspired Rimworld a lot itself but I could never get into that game due to its poor interface and display.

Spectre

It's certainly the best simulation game I've ever played. I always wanted to get into Dwarf Fortress, but I simply cannot get over the intuitive UI. I love 'hard' survival management games, my previous favourite was Banished but I couldn't get as invested in my people on an individual level as I can with Rimworld.

I simply love the struggle and the story that emerges. I had an amazing moment the other day when my custom made colonist, Banshee, was performing an operation on a colonist named Giggles. Giggles had been shot in the leg by a raider and subsequently got an infection. I hadn't set up my medical farm yet so my medicine supplies were dwindling, so I made the decision to remove the leg. I got an alert that a colonist had died and saw that it was Giggles. Whilst trying to amputate his leg Banshee had failed and decapitated him. I wasn't even mad.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.