FTL-style decision making dialogs?

Started by fifasnipe2224, October 15, 2013, 09:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salt1219

i wouldn't cut the fear system.  it may not be often used now but its nice to have it as a option, besides you might add something that makes it a viable option in the future.

miah999

I like the idea behind the fear system, I think it could lead to a lot of unique interactions in the future, especially when other groups like natives are added. Fear could be what keeps them at bay most the time. I also think it would be nice for the wildlife to have fear, so you could shew them away from your base.

And I've used the execution mechanic twice, both times on captured raiders with little use. I'm not sure if it helped with recruiting their room mates, but it seemed to.

Finjinimo

I was planning on a fear themed base for my first playthrough.

I like that I don't have to play nice.

As to decision making dialog: i think they're useful as unique events. Something out of the ordinary that occur once or twice a year (that we can choose to engage with or ignore). I would enjoy something like that.

British

Quote from: Finjinimo on October 15, 2013, 08:14:03 PM
As to decision making dialog: i think they're useful as unique events. Something out of the ordinary that occur once or twice a year (that we can choose to engage with or ignore). I would enjoy something like that.
The way Tynan is making RimWorld is that the story is important.
You experience it seamlessly (let's put the pausing system apart for the sake of the argument) as you help your colony settle down, hopefully prosper, most likely fall.
Having dialogs with set choices that you *have* to pick will only break the momentum of the story.

As explained on the previous page, the game gives us (as players, and Tynan, as developer) the freedom to make those choices by taking specific actions, and it does integrate (seamlessly, thus) within the story.

Finjinimo

Yes... and I am all for that.

I thought these types of events would occur in the same way that traders appear now.

They appear, I can engage with them or ignore them. Then they leave.

Extra Narrative Events could be built on that exact same mechanic. It's hardly immersion breaking, if anything it would be there to enrich the experience of those who choose to engage with it without being detrimental to those that don't want to deal with it.

I am all for building my own narrative through straight simulation of my colony. I am looking forward to the stories that I'll be creating on my own just through gameplay.

I don't really mind if these things are part of the game or not -- I will enjoy the game regardless. I just think these types of events, used sparingly, could be a useful tool that allows us to paint a richer, deeper tapestry of the entire Rimworld universe.