Rescued people freezing to death when released

Started by Serenity, September 19, 2016, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

People from escape pods are usually half naked. So when you rescue them and then let them go they freeze to death in as little as -30°C. I suppose it's realistic that you don't let them go under those circumstances, but other than letting them join you don't really have a choice. Either let the die right away or rescue them and then let them die.

A cheap fix would be to make them "immune" to hypothermia while walking off the map.

BlackSmokeDMax

If you place a stockpile of clothes in their prison room, they will wear them. Or you could have one of your own pawns go in there wearing the item you want your prisoner to have and then drop it, and then forbid it (so another pawn doesn't haul it out of there) and the prisoner will wear it.

To go the stockpile route, I usually just set the stockpile to be one square with critical priority of the exact clothing type only. I then right click on the actual piece I want in there and have it hauled. once the prisoners dons that item, switch the stockpile to the next piece you want, or if done, then delete the stockpile so that your pawns don't keep filling it.

BlackSmokeDMax

As an aside, I still think their should be some minor buff for rescuing and releasing an escape pod survivor. Like a +3 colony wide for a day or two, but perhaps with psychopaths not getting the buff.

Serenity

When you rescue (not capture) them they are taken to the infirmary and leave on their own. But I guess capture and release is the better option anyways to make sure they are fully healed.

And I guess I'm so heartless that I don't really see me giving them precious clothes when I get nothing in return :(
In my current game I'm a bit short on pants and shirts. Probably because I disabled supply drops and man hunter packs. The latter are a great source of leather.

carbon

It would be cool if they could leave the map healthy and pass along word to their spacer buddies about how great you are. As a result the next trade ship that enters orbit will give you a really good deal on a few (random) items.

Capture and release method is definitely the way to go if you want to make sure the person survives.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Serenity on September 19, 2016, 01:01:27 PM
When you rescue (not capture) them they are taken to the infirmary and leave on their own. But I guess capture and release is the better option anyways to make sure they are fully healed.

And I guess I'm so heartless that I don't really see me giving them precious clothes when I get nothing in return :(
In my current game I'm a bit short on pants and shirts. Probably because I disabled supply drops and man hunter packs. The latter are a great source of leather.

Oh, duh! You are totally right. But yeah, there is zero upside in game for rescuing those pawns. And zero downside for letting them die. Needs something!

Serenity

Quote from: carbon on September 19, 2016, 01:41:51 PM
It would be cool if they could leave the map healthy and pass along word to their spacer buddies about how great you are. As a result the next trade ship that enters orbit will give you a really good deal on a few (random) items.
Yeah something like that would be nice

Or reduce the frequency of the supply drops and instead make many of them rewards for helping people.

MikeLemmer

I personally expect the whole Social/Relationship/Rescue/Capture gameplay system to be revamped in a patch soon. It's too clunky ATM.

Shurp

I like BlackSmoke's suggestion.  If you get a mood penalty for executing people, you should get a mood bonus for rescuing them.  That would make it worthwhile to give them gear.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

MikeLemmer

Personally I always wonder where they're heading after being rescued. Do they expect a better chance of getting back into space with someone else? Is there a spaceport nearby we don't know about?

Serenity

Seems so. In my current game a pawn's sister dropped from space. Rescued her, sent her away. Then she dropped down again. Really bad luck there. Sent her away again. It seems she then ran out of money to get into space again and wandered around the planet a bit. She then tried to join a third time.

Fortunately it was summer, so she made it off the map alive.

sadpickle

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 19, 2016, 05:34:25 PM
Personally I always wonder where they're heading after being rescued. Do they expect a better chance of getting back into space with someone else? Is there a spaceport nearby we don't know about?
Ha, amusing. I never thought of it much. It does have a very placeholder feel. When I first played the game, my assumption was escape pods are from the ship your colonists are from, right? How many ships have a disaster near this particular rimworld? But I suppose the canon is this colonist's father just happened to hit the eject button near the same planet his daughter was recently marooned on. The logical thing to do is arrest him, not fix his shit and ask if he'd like to join up after. That's how it should resolve: rescue, heal, and then a flavor text where you can recruit him or let him head out on his own (with some clothes).

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Serenity on September 19, 2016, 05:40:38 PM
Seems so. In my current game a pawn's sister dropped from space. Rescued her, sent her away. Then she dropped down again. Really bad luck there. Sent her away again. It seems she then ran out of money to get into space again and wandered around the planet a bit. She then tried to join a third time.

Fortunately it was summer, so she made it off the map alive.

Once I had a raider who previously had attacked me and then I saw them in a drop pod. It was a while ago so I might be remembering it wrong, but something like that.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Shurp

OK, so a useless spacer crash landed and I was going to let her freeze to death until I discovered she's a colonist's mother.  So I had to save her.  But I'm in a freezing tundra and I know if I just patch her up and let her go she'll freeze to death.  I captured her so I could dump some warmer clothes in her room for her to wear.  Right now she has pants and a jacket on; I want her to put on the tuque and t-shirt I dropped in her room.  But all she is doing is pacing back and forth.  How do I get her to wear the stuff?

Edit: I stripped her just to see what would happen.  She immediately puts on the t-shirt and pants and ignores the jacket and tuque.  What is going on?  How do I get her to put on enough clothes to survive a walk home?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

carbon

I think they only put on enough clothes to avoid the naked mood de-buff.

Try to strip her again and quickly remove everything but a decent quality parka. That should keep her alive at least until she gets off-map.