Airborne Units, Alien Abductions, Anti-Air Technology, misc.

Started by Wolf619, October 10, 2016, 09:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf619

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Rimworld (its all I do since I bought the game on steam I'm a wee bit obsessed lol)

I think air units should be added (bomber planes from enemy factions) and also UFO type craft as well that appear randomly
enemy faction planes can drop bombs and shoot at your guys but you should be able to build defenses like missile turrets and RPG rocket launchers for the colonists. There does not really have to be a usable bomber ships for colonists in the game because you don't travel far enough and you wouldn't need to make a UFO for colonists either, just make them either fly away or stay until they are destroyed.

Or better yet, an alien ship lands and then drops off grey aliens then immediately takes off. Then the ship lands again later in a certain amount of time and the grey aliens retreat to the ship and leave.

For ideas I'd suggest using the traditional 'real world' alien types in the game I'd like to see variations of:
Greys, Nords, Annunaki, ect. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/esp_vida_alien_19a.htm
there is tons of inspiration there.
I think it would fit the game more to have traditional style aliens than made up ones or ones based from a TV show because it would be more 'realistic'.

The UFO will be full of grey aliens that might try to abduct colonists or steal animals/resources/pets and carry them back to their ship.

Alien weaponry would be nice too.
-Tanks would be nice too, Ones you can manufacture as well to protect your base, the enemy factions can invade with tanks as well
-motor bikes to carry two colonists
-Trucks to haul materials

Also I'd like a turret that has it's own solar panel built in but it cannot be hooked to any battery. It would cost less to make but be structurally weaker and also do a bit less damage. Basically a turret that can be placed anywhere on the map independent from anything else that will only work when the sun is out and as a penalty is weaker/does less damage than a normal turret to kind of balance it out.

Anyway Hopefully you like my ideas! Let me know what you think!  :)

MarcTheMerc

Unfortunatly in rimworld aliens are non cannon.
I like the idea for a solar powered turret though but more a mod thing then a vanilla thing.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Alenerel

what does mean non cannon? that it wasnt in the manga? -.-

i suppose that devs wont include aliens, but if they wanted aliens would be 100% cannon.

Solanus

Fiction primer says that there are not any true aliens in the main game, and there are numerous instances of Tynan confirming this in the forums.  If you want to ask someone to mod this in or make the mod yourself, by all means - do so.

JuicyPVP

There is also no faster than light travel, which makes "Abductions", even by humans, on a Rimworld very not plausible. More like Kidnappings during a raid from the planet based pirates.

Alpha393

Hypothetical situation: a squad of navy seals crashes through my ceiling and use a net to pull me up into their helicopter. Bam, airborne abduction without the use of any crazy sci fi tech.

No FTL does not make abductions impossible.
And it could always be carried out by distant evolutionary cousins of humans who are by most definitions aliens anyways.

Wolf619

Quote from: Solanus on October 10, 2016, 04:22:58 PM
Fiction primer says that there are not any true aliens in the main game, and there are numerous instances of Tynan confirming this in the forums.  If you want to ask someone to mod this in or make the mod yourself, by all means - do so.

Where would I ask for help with this? Somewhere on the forums here? I'm trying to start modding today but I'm just figuring it out. I do sprites though so aliens should be pretty easy to make.

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on October 10, 2016, 01:26:37 PM
Unfortunatly in rimworld aliens are non cannon.
I like the idea for a solar powered turret though but more a mod thing then a vanilla thing.

Hopefully I can make the mod happen!

Quote from: JuicyPVP on October 10, 2016, 04:48:25 PM
There is also no faster than light travel, which makes "Abductions", even by humans, on a Rimworld very not plausible. More like Kidnappings during a raid from the planet based pirates.

I agree, that is exactly what I was thinking just some slight changes to the pirate and you could easily make an alien that kidnaps people.
that being said I haven't modded rimworld YET..

MarcTheMerc

Quote from: Wolf619 on October 12, 2016, 08:40:17 AM
Quote from: Solanus on October 10, 2016, 04:22:58 PM

Where would I ask for help with this? Somewhere on the forums here? I'm trying to start modding today but I'm just figuring it out. I do sprites though so aliens should be pretty easy to make.

I'm actually working on my own defense mod, for turrets a good place to start is the Building security tab. ;)
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs