Have you tried instructing your colonists to take go-juice every 3 days?

Started by greggbert, October 10, 2016, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greggbert

Just created a drug policy called "High Performance" and gave it to all my colonists without chemical interest and teetoaler.  They are allowed to take go-juice every 3 days.

So far 1 full season with no psychite addiction and they are working their butts off.  It's like having twice as many colonists.

mumblemumble

Drugs are kinda a gamble.

Sure,  most of the time there's no problem,  but you might have addiction,  or heart attacks from it which cause other problems.

Most of the time its a winning bet,  using it,  but losing is kinda sour.

Having a heart attack during a raid from using yayo can be far worse than going without.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

FMK

Quote from: mumblemumble on October 10, 2016, 08:21:44 PM
Drugs are kinda a gamble.

Sure,  most of the time there's no problem,  but you might have addiction,  or heart attacks from it which cause other problems.

Most of the time its a winning bet,  using it,  but losing is kinda sour.

Having a heart attack during a raid from using yayo can be far worse than going without.

Not entirely true. Besides Yayo/Flake, one dose every 3 days of any drug will never cause an addition. Pretty sure colonists can't overdose with that time-frame, either.

carbon

^ Well that's rather anti-climatic. Where is the fun of it if there isn't real risk?

Dingo

If you instruct your colonists to take 1 dose every X days where X=DailyToleranceDecrease÷OneDoseToleranceIncrease it's 100% safe to use as long as it's not Luciferium. Kinda non-realistic but that is how it works right now (remember, drugs are brand new to RimWorld and subject to change).

For GoJuice, every dose increases tolerance by 0.044 and the minimum tolerance to enable addiction is 0.05 (so 1 dose is always safe at 0 current tolerance buildup). Tolerance decreases every day by 0.015, so after 3 days your colonists reset to 0 tolerance buildup, making your strategy 100% safe. This also means it's almost inevitable the system will change or get tweaked in future alphas.

Razzoriel

I wouldn't mind a "craving" system where it's a milder addiction that goes away faster. So you always have to mind taking drugs.

Don Tacos

Or a "come down" effect where your colonists spend the day after lying in bed eating pizzas and watching reruns of Always Sunny.

mumblemumble

Heart attacks and other issues are still possible to be caused from 1 use.  I had one girl suffer a heart attack first time on yayo,  and it took surgery and several failed attempts at fixing it to prevent her from dying.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Dingo

That's because heart attacks are part of the HeDiff, not addiction.

greggbert

Quote from: Dingo on October 11, 2016, 10:01:05 AM
If you instruct your colonists to take 1 dose every X days where X=DailyToleranceDecrease÷OneDoseToleranceIncrease it's 100% safe to use as long as it's not Luciferium. Kinda non-realistic but that is how it works right now (remember, drugs are brand new to RimWorld and subject to change).

For GoJuice, every dose increases tolerance by 0.044 and the minimum tolerance to enable addiction is 0.05 (so 1 dose is always safe at 0 current tolerance buildup). Tolerance decreases every day by 0.015, so after 3 days your colonists reset to 0 tolerance buildup, making your strategy 100% safe. This also means it's almost inevitable the system will change or get tweaked in future alphas.

Actually this is totally incorrect.  After two seasons two of my colonists got the go-juice addiciton and they were only taking it once every three days.  Also I have had colonists become addicted to wake-up after just one use.

carbon

I created a little test environment to play around with this stuff.

DrugTest.rws has 31 colonists (no pre-existing addictions, no teetotalers) lined up and ready to take a drug of your choice. You can go down the line (while paused) and queue up them to take something, then save before unpausing. Afterward, you can just keep reloading that start state to retry the RNG as much as you like.

DrugTest_WakeUp.rws is an example of this with everyone taking a dose of Wake-up. I've reloaded several times and no one ever gets addicted on the first round.

DrugTest_WakeUp_Schedule.rws is essentially identical to the previous save, but now everyone is scheduled to take another dose every 2 hours (i.e. 10x a day). The first and second doses don't do anything. The 3rd consistently produces a large string of overdoses and a few addictions. That seems to match the reddit info.

Happy testing.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Alenerel

Quote from: greggbert on October 10, 2016, 07:45:36 PM
Just created a drug policy called "High Performance" and gave it to all my colonists without chemical interest and teetoaler.  They are allowed to take go-juice every 3 days.

So far 1 full season with no psychite addiction and they are working their butts off.  It's like having twice as many colonists.

Actually thats how drugs work in real life. For example, coffee, most of people use it wrong, they drink it every day, works the first few days, then they get addiction and stops working. Even worse, if they stop taking it they suffer withdrawal symptoms.

I take an energy drink with caffeine 4 consecutive days, then 2 without. This way I never have addiction and suffer withdrawal and it always takes effect. If I take it 5 days then I get withdrawal (headache, tiredness and sleepy).

Dingo

Quote from: greggbert on October 12, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Dingo on October 11, 2016, 10:01:05 AM

Actually this is totally incorrect.  After two seasons two of my colonists got the go-juice addiciton and they were only taking it once every three days.  Also I have had colonists become addicted to wake-up after just one use.

It can't possibly be incorrect, it's taken straight from the game's code. Your problem is if they take it once every 3 days exactly, it only ticks down twice (2 nights). Technically you have to instruct them to take it every 4 days for it to be 3 days before they've taken the last dose.

And not all drugs work like that, ex. Luciferium. But I doubt you've had them addicted to WakeUp after one dose, as it takes 3 doses to meet minToleranceToAddict.