Curious performance

Started by Litcube, October 18, 2016, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

Does the Dev Mode option to change out a Faction leader fix the comms console?

14m1337

Quote from: Thyme on December 08, 2016, 02:14:56 AM
it's an SSD. 57gb free of 103gb

computer says last defrag was at 9. Nov, but the task took like 5 seconds x) well, defrag is kinda useless for SSDs, no?

for god's sake, please deactivate defrag on your SSDs! defrag will destroy your SSDs in the course of time!
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

faltonico

Over 1.5 M lines in <pawnsdead> in my save -_-'
Deleting that didn't have such a big impact in performance as I expected to.
Deleting it also removes the memory of your fallen ones =(

Thyme

I decided to revert to one of the older saves where the stutter freezes didn't appear. Don't have time for RimWorld untill Sunday tho, will then post if it happened again or will open a thread in support. Using debug:killx100 has helped (but not solved entirely), reducing animal zones from 5 to 4 has reduced the symptoms to bad fps.

@faltonico: you could backup your save (should do anyway ;)), delete all pawnsdead and re-insert your dead colonists from your backup. that's how I kept the faction leaders
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

14m1337

I tried to describe how and which pawns to remove here and some posts later some more notes to that.

it's very logical, that deleting <pawnsdead> does not have such a big effect, since dead pawns don't consume CPU time. you have to delete pawns from <pawnsForcefullyKeptAsWorldPawns> and <pawnsAlive> to really recognize something.
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Alenerel

Does making the bodies disappear (cremation, butchering or animals eating them) also makes pawnsdead disappear from the save file?

Thyme

I don't think so. A16 will do that, when the corpse is not related to any living pawn.

My problem seems to be gone. I've already played a bit beyond the point where the stutter freezing appeared and my performance is still fine. Could've been a messed up event or something. Or the lag was caused by one of the following in the first place:
+I enabled RimWorld to run in background (unlikely, since it's not my first colony)
+I deleted 2 U-shaped stockpile zones that surrounded my colony (providing 1-layer of stone chunks in front of my defensive wall, prohibiting pirates from using it as cover). Guess that was it.

Monroyo

Hello guys

where do we go to delete the pawns file. I'm experiencing a massing lag in my games.

Thyme

If you're looking for your savegame directory, it's something like
C:\Users\Thyme\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves
for MS Windows. Other OS will differ.

If you're looking for a "how to delete worldpawns", you could read page two this thread, post #34 in this page or just click that link:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27703

Monroyo

Zhentar

For anyone feeling adventurous, I have made an experimental WorldPawn Garbage Collector mod; it will trim down the worldpawn list, with (hopefully) effectively no visible impact to the player. In my current 4 year sea ice save, it deletes about half of the world pawns, significantly improving the framerate.

Goo Poni

Is this worth a low priority bug report? Implement a cleaner that runs periodically to purge the list of the dead and alive if they have no relevant relations? I'm personally fine with entirely new pawns in visits and raids all the time. The turnover rate on those tribal raiders is insane anyway.

Monroyo

I deleted the pawnsdead files. My game is a bit better but at high speed the lag is still there but not has bad. Is there something else that i can try ?

Zhentar

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 21, 2017, 05:46:46 AM
Is this worth a low priority bug report? Implement a cleaner that runs periodically to purge the list of the dead and alive if they have no relevant relations? I'm personally fine with entirely new pawns in visits and raids all the time. The turnover rate on those tribal raiders is insane anyway.

I've already submitted a couple bug reports around worldpawns (and I have a third to write up, but it only affects pawnsdead so I've been lazy about it). If a few people try my garbage collector and report big improvements and don't report serious issues, I'll add it to one of the bug reports; just want to catch any glaring issues before sharing it with Tynan.

KingKnee

Quote from: Zhentar on January 20, 2017, 09:29:10 PM
For anyone feeling adventurous, I have made an experimental WorldPawn Garbage Collector mod; it will trim down the worldpawn list, with (hopefully) effectively no visible impact to the player. In my current 4 year sea ice save, it deletes about half of the world pawns, significantly improving the framerate.

I gave it a shot but it didn't seem to make a difference for me. My latest save is 34mb and the size didn't change with your mod, I assumed it would? I get 60fps(vsync) at speed 1 but between 15-27fps at speed two with a lot of hiccups/stuttering.
When I first loaded into my save with your mod enabled, the game froze for about 20 seconds, I assumed your mod was doing its thing? After that every 5 minute or so I'd get the same freeze for 5-10 seconds. This doesn't happen for me when playing vanilla.

I haven't noticed any other changes in-game but I have now disabled the mod.(because of the freezes)
Granted, I have a large base with lots of colonists(30+) and animals(40+ bears), I wasn't expecting miracles.