Some suggestions from a new player

Started by reacherfeature, November 11, 2016, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reacherfeature

Hello, I quickly skimmed the pinned topics and I have a list of things that I think would add to the experience.
I don't know how this game defines it's variables or executes commands, so I tried to make my suggestions as simple as possible.

Independent changes:
More information about traits/incapabilities of individual pawns in the assign manual work page.
A single page to compare all pawns skill scores

* More neutral random events
As it stands, my day is usually something like this: Sun rises, then is eclipsed by the moon, which is followed by a solar flare, and then another eclipse, and two alphabeaver pack attacks in one week.

To shake up the day to day stuff, I thought adding extra weather effects and events would be a sweet patch.
- Sandstorms
Reduce vision of pawns, increase heat by 5-10 degrees F, plants grow x% slower

Windstorms
Temperature drops a bit from windchill, but windmills produce extra power.

Shooting Stars
A evening event that gives a small, free mood boost for those who witness it.

Accelerated Mutation
A normal wandering animal pawn has undergone rapid evolution, and has doubled in size! while it is not immediately hostile, the animal is 50% more susceptible to the "maddened animal" event!

Hail
If it hails throughout the day, no effect, other than the day being cold. A new visual 'raining' effect would be it. However, if it hails during the night, the noise of pelting hail gives every pawn the "disturbed sleep" buff (that's under a normally constructed roof, at least)

The Shepard:
A shepard belonging to a rival lord's fief is passing through. He has a random assortment of animals, and will trade with your colony but not stop and hang out for a few days- you have to go to him. Capturing him and taking his animals is another course of action.

I thought the following structures would be a cool addition:

A landing pad
Increases the chance of a space trader passing by (to 'land') but also increases the general quality/quantity of goods to select from.

Munitions locker (Security)
Pawns shooting near this structure reload 15% faster.

First Aid Station (Furniture, Powered)
Pawns being patched up near this structure are patched up 50% faster. (Note: I did not say healing! This simply speeds up the process bandages are applied to a wounded character or drug treatments)

Fire Stations (Structure, powered)
Automatically (or manually) raises an audible alarm that wakes up all citizens for fighting the fire. Until the alarm is switched off (like a lamp) villagers get a boost to movement and firefighting, but won't garden, mine, or haul items. Pawns that cannot firefight can interact with their schedules normally.

Caltrops/Tar/Barbed Wire (Pick your favorite) (Security)
Enemies are slowed as if they were climbing over rocks- but gain no extra cover.

Fencing ( Structure)
A structural piece that prevents movement, but can be fired over/through.

(Alternative fence idea- Electric fence, Structure, powered)
A fence with a current running through it. 2 things can happen- 1: Enemies treat the fence like a wall and go around it 2: Enemies do not treat it like a wall, and instead have an electrified mechanic)

Guard Post (Structure)
This is almost a Z-level suggestion, sorry. The structure is large-  several blocks long and wide- and has one entrance. Graphically designed to appear 'higher' than surrounding items. The structure is treated as a wall for pathing purposes, but any pawn 'manning' the structure gets +15% range and is automatically buffed with the 'darkness' effect, which represents the 'height' of the post- so enemies have a harder time hitting the pawn.

Holodeck (Joy)

I know adding a new priority behavior to the engine is difficult, but a holo deck could use existing tools. As if you were making a stockpile, simply drag a space to make that space 'holodeck' space. Cover the floor with a new 'holodeck' flooring, and it's as easy as that, right? /s

Tech Tree Additions:

Solar Mirror Array
Generates electricity faster than solar panels on sunny days, but at equal speeds in inclement weather. Requires research. Requires being built from silver.

Equipment additions
Add a "shoes" slot

Charge Sniper Rifle
Fires slower than a regular sniper rifle, but has much higher accuracy. Damage remains unchanged.

Grenade Launcher
Fires smaller, less damaging grenades, but at a faster rate and higher range than thrown grenades.

Chainsaw (Melee)
Increases plant cutting speed by 50%. Deals bonus melee damage to unarmored targets. Must be crafted.

Drill (Melee)
Increases mining speed by 30%. Deals bonus damage to armored targets, including mechanized targets. Must be crafted.

Garden Rake (Melee)
Increases sowing seed rate by 30%. Does not deal bonus damage. Must be crafted.

Wheelbarrow ("Melee weapon")
You can move two stacks of items instead of one, but cannot attack.

Crowbar
For heroic quests.

Mind Scrambling Array (Ranged Weapon, requires research)
After researching <tech> and building <tech production station> you can build tesla-type weapons.

Tesla Gun (Ranged)
Shoots one shot at a time, but very quickly. Deals ranged and electrical damage. Medium range, medium damage. Deals bonus damage to insectoid targets.

EMP Rifle (ranged)
A reskinned survival rifle in stats, but deals 3x damage to mechanized targets.

Blackjack (Melee)
A melee weapon that has an increased chance to down someone.

Laser Battery (Powered, security)
A stationary emplacement that fires a hellicious barrage of charge rifle shots at the foe, but requires a long time to recharge.

Spotlight (Powered, security)
Does not fire any weapon, but "points" its light towards the enemy like a regular turret would- helping friendly pawns land their shots.

Thank you for reading.

MarcTheMerc

I would really like to see a majority of these implemented but i must ask, blackjack?
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

bclewis

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on November 13, 2016, 02:05:00 PM
I would really like to see a majority of these implemented but i must ask, blackjack?

Presumably non-lethal* weapon for capturing prisoners and downing berzerking colonists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_(law_enforcement)#Blackjack

* though not always really non-lethal -- "Blackjacks were popular among law enforcement for a time due to their low profile, small size, and suitability for knocking a suspect unconscious. Currently, however, they are all but prohibited in most municipalities due to liability issues stemming from their potential to cause permanent brain injury or death when used as a compliance device."

DNK

I like having more neutral events.

I go with Phoebe mostly, as I dislike Cassandra's non-step drum beat of misery, but it does make me wish there was more going on. She's pretty tame, and lots of neutral events would certainly make me feel more connected with the world, or at least add some spice to the everyday grid of building up.

Just more events in general would be nice. It's one of those areas where I feel like we've gotten a basic set of things (like with all furniture for instance, or for biomes, or for plants, etc, etc), but Tynan is waiting for a more final release to add in a ton of content, which is the typical way of developing a game. Still it'd be nice to have them sooner, since a public very stable and semi-complete early access game is different from a typical way of developing one through clear stages in private.

schizmo

I agree, a lack of variety in events makes the game sometimes feel like a constant double whammy of back luck (eclipse followed by flares, etc)

I also like the idea of adding a handful of types of footwear. Perhaps hiking boots that reduce movement penalties on bad terrain/climbing over stuff, but also reduce movement speed slightly on normal terrain, and running shoes which would increase movement speed on good terrain but suffer much larger penalties on bad terrain/climbing. And also some steel toed boots to protect the feet and toes of soldiers

Thirite

Some of these have already been modded in: caltrops, barbed wire, grenade launcher, tools that improve work speed, and spotlights namely. Killface is working on updating an old mod that adds carts/wheelbarrows as well. You can find them in the release section of the Mods subforum.