Mod Order Saver

Started by Hydromancerx, November 23, 2016, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydromancerx

In the mods menu the ability to save the order in which your mods are in incase something goes wrong. Its a pain in the butt to load them all up for a save if you get them out of order or use a total conversion mod like the Mars one and then want to go back to a non-mars saved game.

Thane

I'm necroing this because it is an honest pain. Without the ability to save different mod orders it makes it difficult to experiment with mods and balance. This would be a great quality of life addition.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

scuba156

I was thinking this just the other day when I had to test my mod against other mods. I launch rimworld without steam to test my mod, but have to launch it with steam to use workshop items, and launching non steam after steam version removes all workshop mods. I have to then re enable 50+ mods and sort them by hand or manually enter them into the config file.

I might do this if no one else wants to. It should be pretty easy to add a backup and restore button to the mod window and have it copy files, or write new ones. Maybe have a few states that can be saved to.

BlackSmokeDMax

Not to say it wouldn't be great if someone made something for this, but you can just keep a copy of your modsconfig.xml file and you'll be all set. Perhaps store it in a folder along with a text/word document with a description of what that particular mod setup is.

scuba156

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on January 11, 2017, 03:36:38 AM
Not to say it wouldn't be great if someone made something for this, but you can just keep a copy of your modsconfig.xml file and you'll be all set. Perhaps store it in a folder along with a text/word document with a description of what that particular mod setup is.
You can, as long as the user knows where the file is. I've already started work on it, UI code is already done. 3 simple buttons, one to backup, one drop down button to select which state (out of 5, can scale higher easily) and a button to restore. Now I just have to do backup/restore code which I already have in my other mod, make a preview image and its done.

scuba156

Done :)

If there are any suggestions, just let me know in that thread.