Faction Ethics

Started by Nasikabatrachus, April 01, 2014, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

I think it would give a good flavor to the new factions system if factions had individualized ethical systems which affected their diplomatic relations with the player. If I waylay a member of The Helpful Geese while they're walking through my colony and kill them for their +boomrat hide trenchcoat+, it would make sense that their faction would respond in a particular way to that act. Potential demands for restitution by that group might include giving up one of one's own colonists to be killed, paying a certain amount of silver for the +boomrat hide trenchcoat+, or the surrender of all our weapons. Alternately, their ethics might simply demand the extermination of one's colony.

With enough parameters, one might never encounter the same group twice. The Careening Alligators might be peaceful Luddites who secretly harbor a shameful love accele-potatoes, whereas the Childish Wombats are intolerant technophiles who only like mohawks.

It could probably get goofy and unrealistic at times, but "goofy and unrealistic" are known human traits. Overall I think it would bolster the theme of endless, wild diversity to which the game aspires.

Jack 123

This idea is amazing and I think this or something like it is gonna be put in later in development to add depth.

tbrass

I think this is a great idea. I would also like to be able to exchange goods with other, non-space-faring factions.

For example, factions could request (and/or I could offer) 300 metal, human meat, or berries for goodwill.

Other factions might trade actual goods (akin to a trader, but with more options)

And some factions might offer gifts depending upon faction goodwill. So, high goodwill - here's an m24 or a boomrat jacket. Neutral goodwill - our ambassador would like to be closer friends, here are some berries and if you accept, 10 goodwill.

Negative relations? Here is a gift. You must accept without opening until we have departed. Do you accept? (1. oh thanks for the boomrat dinners, 20 goodwill; 2. poisoned human meat? 2 colonists become ill and -25 goodwill.)

I think we could have a lot of fun with this system.