Doctoring

Started by Hydraengineer, December 08, 2016, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydraengineer

Some backstory.

In my current colony, I had a 14+ skilled Doc that failed about 10 operations to install a peg leg... At some point he died and I assigned someone else. This person has a skill of 10. Today I used the new guy to install a bionic arm on another colonist, that colonist dies on the first attempt.

What am I doing wrong? What is a good skill range of doctoring to install prosthetic/bionic limbs? I seem to either have bad luck or my current game is glitchy.

Zhentar

10 skill is well into the appropriate range, if you aren't doing anything else wrong. Make sure your doctor has at least 100% manipulation, sight, and consciousness. Of any of those are significantly reduced, you'll have an awful success rate (which you can see in the "surgery success chance" in the pawn info window). You should also be using regular medicine, in a clean room. With all that, you should have at least a 90% success rate. You can go a step further and hit 100% success rate by enhancing your doctor with drugs (wake up, go juice, and luciferium will all take a level 10 doc past 100%) or bionics (one bionic eye or arm should be enough as well).

Cimm0

Things that affect surgery itself:
- Doctoring
- Doctor's own injuries
- Doctor's mental state
- Medicine quality
- Light level

Things that affect infections:
- Room cleanliness
- Time of treatment (heal later -> infection more likely)
- Amount of injuries (they get treated one at a time --> waiting time)

Supercheese

Quote from: Cimm0 on December 09, 2016, 03:03:38 AM
Things that affect surgery itself:
- Light level

Actually, light levels do not affect surgery success chance.

Everything else you've got there is spot on, though (presuming Mental State to mean Consciousness).

ArguedPiano

A similar topic was discussed recently Here. You may find some useful information.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Araxiel

I believe Doctor's current mood plays a role as well.

Respones

Quote from: ArguedPiano on December 09, 2016, 06:30:31 AM
A similar topic was discussed recently Here. You may find some useful information.
All useful information there it's that room must be sterile and doctor must have good health - no bad back, cataract ect. And for Medikits you must have 12 lvl doctor, if only you not have Fully Bionic Doctor.
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Medicine

ArguedPiano

Also, make sure your doctor is not missing any hands, arms, or eyes. These will severely reduce your chances for successful surgery.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Hydraengineer

Must be my doctors' mood/health and meds then. Very few of my colonists are perfectly healthy. When I performed the procedure, I think he used herb meds. Believe I ran out of regular meds at the time. Can't be the environment as I have a separate hospital with med beds, vital monitors, and sterile tile.

Thanks for help everyone!