Rimworld for Mac users (hardware recommendations)

Started by pawelcichonski, December 12, 2016, 08:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawelcichonski

Hello. Pre-purchase question if I may.
Since there isn't any demo available to try the game I would kindly ask for your opinion guys if I would be able to play this game on my equipment without any larger issues. Some people pointed out that, like in Dungeon of The Endless, it looks 2d retro-pixel-art, but it requires solid graphic card. Wouldn't want to end up with small base at 50 fps and after 4 hours 15 fps :(

MacBook Pro 15 (Mid 2015)
2.5 GHz Intel Quad Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Integrated GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphic - 1536 MB   :(

My factorio and alpha centauri runs smoothly on it but that's not a proper comparison :/
Anyone having similar specs? Any help much appreciated

Zhentar

RimWorld doesn't need much graphics power. I'm able to play on my 2011 laptop with integrated graphics without problems.

pawelcichonski

Thanks for your response. The game presents itself fantastically - something I might spend at least 100 hours. I wouldn't regret paying for the game, I would regret spending months on this and after some time I would get laggy choppy framerate with my 'never made for games' macbook.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm just waiting for my steam controller and would love to buy the game.

Facepunch

Elixiar

I play on my early 2011 MacBook Pro with Intel 3000 which is super poor.

game runs fine for the most part, but wouldn't recommend making the map size anything above average (on mine) mid 2015 Mac Pro should run it like a breeze.

Dungeon of the endless though, that runs perfectly for me, how do you have bad FPS with a newer Mac?
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

pawelcichonski

Thanks Elixiar for your thoughts. I do not own Dungeon of the Endless - the problem is that you preview games on steam and you read tons of reviews and people drop things like: "without a newest graphic card don't touch it".

Actually thanks to you I'll give DOTE a try.

stopkillingtheplanet

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with intel hd 3000 integrated graphics and this game works great. I've had a few drops in frames after 5 year colonies on a large map but really nothing too bad.

mariejustice54

I suggest you buy MacBook Pro, I am also using this for playing this game, I bought it last week from saving shopping codes 2020 at Reecoupons, and game is running quite good on it, but its totally depend on you, if you buy another one, then go there and search I hope you will find.

mindlar

I have the same machine as you do (Mac mid-2015) with essentially the same specs.

It runs very well even with a significant number of mods. You'll be fine.

B@R5uk

Does OS make much difference? I use notebook with Core 2 Duo 2 GHz and 4 GB RAM (not the most fastest btw) without much problems (except, maybe, long loading time).

Bozobub

Vanilla RW runs reasonably well on a potato.  Remember, however, that EVERY mod that adds per-tick calculations will slow your game down at least a small amount, and sometimes a LOT.  Additionally, many mods become "heavier" over the course of a game.  The Psychology mod, while excellent, is like this, due to the increase in colonist interaction with more colonists.

In other words, if you have an older/weaker system, don't lard on the mods too thick, too fast.  Add 1-3, say, check the results, then add more, if you like.  This is also useful to prevent/diagnose conflicts.

Eventually, even a vanilla game will encounter significant slowdown, late in the game, but this is inevitable and *usually* tolerable for most people.
Thanks, belgord!