Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

the backstory test subject - test subject  afeeba (feeb) dafo has +3 medicine as adult, but doctoring disabled.

btw, I know I said this before, but has anyone thought the flammability aspect of chem fuel is a bit..oddly low?...yes, I'm bringing that up again, sorry, But I cant help but notice this, especially after a boomalope exploded a wooden shed filled with it, and there wasn't a massive problem caused by it, meanwhile a mortar hitting my artillery round storage made a crater, and killed 2 guys. punched a hole in my base. For those unaware, chemfuel has a flammability of 100%, same as bodies, cloth, ect... And I would expect it would explode like a combination of mortar shells and inferno cannons. And I'd honestly rather not wait for a17 for that, if It can be helped.. but I don't realize how complex this would be. So if its simply unrealistic to code/ balance in a day or 2 well...I guess I understand. But Ill be damned if its not kinda glaring issue to immersion when firefighting a room full of jet-fuel is a 1 man job, and low risk.

Speaking of mortar rounds, it seems if the mortar shell is destroyed by an explosion, or series of explosions fast enough, it will not actually go off, it wont have a sympathetic detonation, but will simply despawn.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Grishnerf

yeah i support this, make fuel explodable when fire hits it.
or maybe not an explosion (cause that would be nearly the same as a landmine)
but maybe make it when fire hits the fuel, fire will spread 3-5 tiles far in an instant.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

mumblemumble

Honestly, you could make it a "burn" element explosion with low damage, but spreading fire and fuel puddles similar to the inferno cannon, and combine with the scaling size of the mortar shell stacks (fun fact, 25 mortar shells explode with more force than 1!) To make a pretty interesting dynamic, where an entire warehouse storage of fuel could go up in an inferno if not careful.

And unless its a HUGE stack of fuel, the explosion would be mostly survivable, but large quantities, several full stacks?.. ..well...better pray you made firefoam poppers before  :D
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

MikeLemmer

I don't think this is intended, but if you set up a caravan, then cancel it after they gather their supplies but before they leave the map, the colonists keep the supplies in their inventory. I've been... "using" it to have my sole survivor carry 25 fine meals on him. And he can still haul a full load of steel while carrying them.

Azuchisamurai

could you introduce a "whats new!" function to the game menu screen?

Caneythekid

Just wondering if a colonist who's both kind with an annoying voice is supposed to have people beat the piss out of them for complimenting someone. It seems like a bug, but seeing the rest of the game. Felt like this was something to pass on to Ty!

Ashiver

Weapons are now worth 20% of their base value to traders right?  Raids are based off of the collective value of stuff you have as well right?  Therefore because weapons are garbage for sell value, but calculated at 100% of value for raid scaling, the best thing you can do is to destroy any and all weapons you aren't going to use. This is because keeping them to sell them is completely not worth the risk vs reward.  To fix this it might be better to just lower the base value of the weapons to 20% of their current value, and then mark UP the buy cost from traders.  Otherwise I am going to be stockpiling excess weapons to set them on fire or destroy them with grenades and I could be wrong but I feel like you might consider that undesirable player behavior. 

RemingtonRyder

You can smelt excess weapons to recover some materials if I recall correctly.

Also, and I don't know how I didn't notice this before, darkness no longer penalises shooting accuracy. To be honest, I don't miss that penalty, but I must have missed a change log or something, because I don't know why I didn't see it until now.

CodeRen

I was surprised to see fuel doesnt explode and cause massive damage. It doesnt punish someone for leaving it around like shells do. They should start fires really quickly and spread. Raiders should also try to hit them maybe? That would be cool.

Either way I am really liking this update. More world events are needed, but my favorite event is when your caravan is attacked. Some of the areas generated to fight on are so cool. I had this one battle where we camped out in some ruins and mowed down a bunch of melees. Super cool!

MikeLemmer

So my struggling colony (just a single building) got hit with a Toxic Fallout event. I decided to just gather everything I had, abandon it, and resettle a single tile over to see if I would still have a Toxic Fallout event. Just a single tile over, no Toxic Fallout! I imagine you can use the same trick on the Volcanic Winter.

I think the global events (Toxic Fallout, Volcanic Winter, ???) should affect multiple tiles (and perhaps any caravans currently out, although that might make Toxic Fallout OP).

carpediembr

Cant check the world/seed information when clicking on the World button anymore. :(

Azuchisamurai

started a game got a raid immidiately (randy random on some challange) then like 5 mins after got another raid, also for some reason my food depleted really fast and had a horrible time keeping them replenished managed to last until automn, events seem REALLY raid heavy

Azuchisamurai

how about positive world events, like every now and then you get a caravan of supplies for free from neibouring settlements/factions, simmilarly pirates/raiders could come demanding protection money in the form of x value total of goods and they have a 50/50 chance to actually come and help against raids or not, come and give supplies you need if your compeltely out or unprepared like food steel wood herbel medicine or components or simply come and harrass you  even if you pay or give you a slave/ extra personell under the terms that you ramp up production on something valuable like drugs or something

Alenerel

A pawn has a "shot off" part that always says that needs treatment on the tooltip on mouse hover. The shot off was ages ago and obviously its not bleeding. It might be a small bug. Idk if it happens with other "grey" parts.

dogthinker

RE: Forming caravans. It'd be really nice to be able to predict travel time before committing to form the caravan. In a normal game you can work around this by forming the caravan, checking the travel time, then reloading, but on permadeath mode you've essentially lost a full day if you do this. I guess if you just used a single pawn to check the ETA you could explain it away as 'scouting' time, but it doesn't feel right.

RE: Prisoners in caravans: It would be nice to get health alerts about the prisoners. I had a prisoner die from frostbite without any warning whatsoever. This was particularly awkward, as apparently he was carrying all the gold and most of the food...

RE: Deaths in caravans: It would be nice to have an opportunity to choose which items the caravan continues with after a death. Currently it appears to be that we automatically lose whatever the dead pawn happened to be carrying - which can be catastrophic (and grossly unrealistic) if they happened to be carrying all the food. Perhaps a death should be followed up by an inventory dialog analgous to the 'split caravan' dialog. Or (even better, IMO), the caravan could automatically form a (temporary) new 'colony' (complete with deceased pawn and their items), so the player can decide precisely how to respond to the situation (and can bury their dead, or even carry them home!)

I've been really enjoying the caravans. My current tribal colony has (unintentionally) become entirely nomadic, slowly making their way south, stopping frequently to warm up and forage for food (as there is neither sufficient food nor fuel to last them through winter in any given map cell.) Which has been great fun! But I have felt like I've been fighting against the interface RE: prisoners, inventory, and travel time.