Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alxddd

it would be extremely useful if the tooltip for the Research speed factor showed the variables to that number. without it we're just left guessing.

i'd also love a hotkey using the "i" key to open the "i" menu. i use it often enough that it's probably my most desired hotkey, although i'm sure hotkeys must be one of the last things that goes into a release like this one.

Icarus

Quote from: alxddd on December 19, 2016, 10:12:10 AM
- would be very useful to know the distance or travel time to any point or colony on the map without having to assemble a caravan.
- i formed a caravan during a toxic fallout and sent them out for weeks with no affect. toxic fallout should affect the whole planet at once - or at least huge sections of it - including when your caravan is traveling and adjacent tiles if choosing to settle, trade or attack. you could even go as far as creating a visual discolouration of affected hexagons.
These. I like you can just pack up and leave during a fallout, but it shouldn't be so easy.

Alenerel

Quote from: alxddd on December 19, 2016, 10:41:23 AM
it would be extremely useful if the tooltip for the Research speed factor showed the variables to that number. without it we're just left guessing.

i'd also love a hotkey using the "i" key to open the "i" menu. i use it often enough that it's probably my most desired hotkey, although i'm sure hotkeys must be one of the last things that goes into a release like this one.

In the information menu in the "i", if you click on any stat it will give you the info.

Jettuh

@Tynan,

Amazing new Alpha (even though it still being the unstable launch)
I do however have a question regarding transport pods.

So I finally, after a few hours of playing, got a transport pod launched to a nearby settlement to trade, the fuel would be enough to get there and back. (just to try it out)
Here was my problem: I didn't know it was a 1 way trip pod.
Here I am, stuck at a nearby settlement without enough $$$ to buy enough food to travel back, on foot!

Is there a way to "re-use" the pods?

@makkenhoff, awesome story, loved it!

TOWC

Tynan, I don't know if someone mentioned it, but pack muffalos can't interact with more than one colonists at the time, but multiple colonists, though, try to load the stuff they want to load. So one of them succeeds, but the others do not and they return the stuff back to stockpiles and, maybe, do some mental check in their heads like they already loaded those things, so they won't touch it again.

As the result, half of the baggage isn't loaded, while caravans are being created. It can be avoided by using only one colonist to pack things, but it's very long process and very unethical.

And, also, it's very annoying that muffalos can't be packed while being in stockpiles. I understand why you scripted them to drop things when entering player's stockpiles, but in practice it gives more harm than advantage. Can be easily fixed by creating a new command, like, "Unload" or something, so you can unload muffalos whenever you want.

UPD. I guess, I misunderstood. They don't unload automatically when in stockpile. Though, the first problem still persists.

I hope my feedback helps.

P.S. For now gonna use dev's "Send instantly" command, since I don't have any other alternatives.

Zhentar

Quote from: Jettuh on December 19, 2016, 11:49:58 AM
@Tynan,

Amazing new Alpha (even though it still being the unstable launch)
I do however have a question regarding transport pods.

So I finally, after a few hours of playing, got a transport pod launched to a nearby settlement to trade, the fuel would be enough to get there and back. (just to try it out)
Here was my problem: I didn't know it was a 1 way trip pod.
Here I am, stuck at a nearby settlement without enough $$$ to buy enough food to travel back, on foot!

Is there a way to "re-use" the pods?

@makkenhoff, awesome story, loved it!

You can pod enough resources in a second pod to build a third pod for the return trip.

Tynan

Quote from: TOWC on December 19, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Tynan, I don't know if someone mentioned it, but pack muffalos can't interact with more than one colonists at the time, but multiple colonists, though, try to load the stuff they want to load. So one of them succeeds, but the others do not and they return the stuff back to stockpiles and, maybe, do some mental check in their heads like they already loaded those things, so they won't touch it again.

As the result, half of the baggage isn't loaded, while caravans are being created. It can be avoided by using only one colonist to pack things, but it's very long process and very unethical.

Whoa! Thanks for bringing this up. Pretty important thing to mention there!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Levitas

Does the percentage of globe coverage impact the gameplay (raiders, traders) and the performance?

When raiding a colony i think it would be enough to generate a medium or small map size, because most of the time you will leave after the 24 hour period.
Maybe this size could be in the options.
Now it uses the settings from the start.

I think it would be nice to automatically get the caravanscreen to select what you would like to take after the 24 hours after raiding a colony, now you get just thrown out of the tile.

Overall i think A16 is great and opens a new world of possibilities.

Alenerel

The problem with map % generation is that you are pretty much forced to set around the middle. If you place your base around the edges everything will be far from you.

Azuchisamurai

unlikely for a16 but maybe change the % to alter the planet size rather than the size of the playable section of the planet?

Goosedown

Hopefully this isn't something that has already been addressed and I missed it.
However merging the construction and repair has resulting in a lot more micromanagement in my experience. After a raid i'm much more interested in having my colonists build new walls to fill the holes in my walls than I am having them repair every wall section that took a bullet. As a result i'm constantly overriding them as they try to repair instead of build.

TOWC

Quote from: Tynan on December 19, 2016, 01:12:38 PM

I'm glad it helped. Though, I also want to mention, that it's very hard to loot raided outposts right now. Mostly, because you must choose all the things one by one through right-click command. It just takes too much time and unneeded microcontrol. It would be much better if there would exist an extra command, which would mark the needed loot like, for example, command "Cut plants" marks cuttable plants when choosing an area of command.

No, really, it's VERY hard, I don't think I'm the only one.

UPD. Though, you can create stockpile and haul all the loot here and then right-click it from here. Still, too much unneeded clicks, imho.

kamenoitte

Has anything changed with surgery probabilities? I have a level 15 doctor, who always does surgery not drunk and not stoned etc, and has no injuries himself, yet I swear his failure rate is about 50% or so... (in about 10-15 operations).

Tynan

Quote from: TOWC on December 19, 2016, 02:26:58 PM
Quote from: Tynan on December 19, 2016, 01:12:38 PM

I'm glad it helped. Though, I also want to mention, that it's very hard to loot raided outposts right now. Mostly, because you must choose all the things one by one through right-click command. It just takes too much time and unneeded microcontrol. It would be much better if there would exist an extra command, which would mark the needed loot like, for example, command "Cut plants" marks cuttable plants when choosing an area of command.

No, really, it's VERY hard, I don't think I'm the only one.

UPD. Though, you can create stockpile and haul all the loot here and then right-click it from here. Still, too much unneeded clicks, imho.

I've just uploaded a build with a fix to the issue, please feel free to test and tell me if it works now!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Klaatu

Quote from: kamenoitte on December 19, 2016, 02:51:55 PM
Has anything changed with surgery probabilities? I have a level 15 doctor, who always does surgery not drunk and not stoned etc, and has no injuries himself, yet I swear his failure rate is about 50% or so... (in about 10-15 operations).

Medicine potency overall is lowered, especially for herbal medicine and regular medicine. Glitterworld stuff is still high.