Why megasloth and penoxycline?

Started by Alenerel, December 14, 2016, 09:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

I liked the name megatherium and had that "not from real world" kind of feel, but now it sounds like a buffed sloth and the word is ugly and not very impressive. Why change the name?

About penoxycline, the question is similar. I mean, malariblock, yayo, smokeleaf, luciferium... Penoxycline? It doesnt fit. I think that you are using this as a placeholder to change it in the future to a more rimworldian name, am I correct? And if you do, why not just use the real world name? In fact, why not use the real world name for all the drugs?

Boston

Quote from: Alenerel on December 14, 2016, 09:07:50 PM
I liked the name megatherium and had that "not from real world" kind of feel, but now it sounds like a buffed sloth and the word is ugly and not very impressive. Why change the name?

About penoxycline, the question is similar. I mean, malariblock, yayo, smokeleaf, luciferium... Penoxycline? It doesnt fit. I think that you are using this as a placeholder to change it in the future to a more rimworldian name, am I correct? And if you do, why not just use the real world name? In fact, why not use the real world name for all the drugs?

That's ...... what Megatherium means. Like, literally what it means in Greek. It was a real-life genus as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium

As for drugs, probably the same reason why Fallout has made up drugs; to bypass censorship. If the drugs were called by their real-life names, certain countries would ban the game for promoting the sale and use of drugs.

Zhentar

Malariblock was renamed because it blocks more than just malaria now. The old name didn't make sense anymore.

Cimanyd

If we can have penoxycyline, why can't we have xerigium back? :(

unless we actually do; I haven't played it yet
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Alenerel

Quote from: Boston on December 14, 2016, 10:00:00 PM
That's ...... what Megatherium means. Like, literally what it means in Greek. It was a real-life genus as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium

As for drugs, probably the same reason why Fallout has made up drugs; to bypass censorship. If the drugs were called by their real-life names, certain countries would ban the game for promoting the sale and use of drugs.

Im talking about the word, not what it means. Megatheroum sounds more cool and impressive.

About drugs names. To bypass censorship, thats ok. Its also not called malariblock because it blocks more than malaria, thats obvious... But my question is why a so "real life" technical and complicated name, instead of something like the rest, something like disease-block, anti-sick or bacteri-hell. Xerigium also fits in there.
The real life drug I think is called doxycycline

Spdskatr

Quote from: Cimanyd on December 14, 2016, 11:14:53 PM
If we can have penoxycyline, why can't we have xerigium back? :(

unless we actually do; I haven't played it yet
That's different - Healroot makes sense to players just starting RimWorld and don't know about the info button.

I liked "Megatherium". Tell Shinzy or someone to make a mod that renames it back lol
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

carbon

Although I intuitively liked and understood the name change to penoxycline, I do sort of agree that it runs counter to the RimWorld motif of using compounds or derivatives of relatively common English words to get a name (smokeleaf, chemfuel, lucfierium).

Since penoxycline seems mainly geared toward staying healthy in the tropics, it seems appropriate that it be named "tropi____".

Perhaps:
Tropicare           nope, already a thing
Tropiclean          same
Tropiclear          gah!
Tropisafe?          not a thing! but doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Tropecure?        (Tropic + secure) also not a thing! although it sounds like cure, which it isn't.

This is harder than I thought.

Wait! I got it!
Tropicblock!      how?! why?! **** you bikinis!

I give up. :(

sadpickle

My nominations:

Tropecylin

Runs-b-Gone

Barley

Quote from: carbon on December 16, 2016, 06:34:26 PM

Perhaps:
Tropicare           nope, already a thing
Tropiclean          same
Tropiclear          gah!
Tropisafe?          not a thing! but doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Tropecure?        (Tropic + secure) also not a thing! although it sounds like cure, which it isn't.

Tropicana

Because oranges are healthy!

ArguedPiano

The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Spdskatr

Inside Tynan's mind: Penoxycyline

"Apple essence"

Because an apple a day keeps the doctor away!..?

"Immunity mechanites"

Actually that makes a lot of sense... if neutroamine were made out of mechanites

"Medicine"

Oh wait that has already been used

"Liver steroids"

My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

A Friend

Resistoblocks,

Resist-O's,

Immunocrunch,

Immune-O's,

Immuno Booster,

Medicrunch,
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

keylocke

i think penoxyciline is derived from penicillin : which is an antibiotic and maybe oxycodone which is a painkiller?

i dunno.

Alenerel

Tbh i liked bacterihell. Something including hell sounds cool.

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: Spdskatr on December 16, 2016, 09:36:19 PM
Inside Tynan's mind: Penoxycyline

"Apple essence"

Because an apple a day keeps the doctor away!..?

Ok that's actually hilarious BUT it's still a hard word to say which makes it an annoying word to think because how do I pronounce it in my head
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217