Colonists don't like floors

Started by ahowe42, December 15, 2016, 07:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

What is the deal with floors in my colonists' home?  Whenever I put nice granite / wood / etc. floors, the beauty score of the room goes down.  What is the point of floors then?

Andrew

Hieronymous Alloy

Odd. Floors normally improve that. If you're building over smoothed stone, smoothed stone counts as a "floor" and has a higher beauty value than most other floors, so that could be it. If that isn't it, maybe a screenshot?
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

carbon

Granite tiles have a beauty of 2, wood has a beauty of 0.

By comparison, dirt / raw stone is -1 (i think) and smooth stone is 3.

So if you're converting smoothed stone to flooring, it'll get worse. Same applies to tile -> wood conversion.

----

As to why that's the case (e.g. tile < smoothed), it mainly has to do with the difficulty of obtaining said type of floor. Wood is cheap, renewable and often in abundance. Tiles are a pain to produce (both stone blocks and the tile itself), but can go anywhere. In contrast, smoothed floors are both labor intensive and can only ever exist in certain areas of the map.

It's no coincidence that the prettiest floor (gold tile) is also nearly impossible to obtain in large quantities without serious dedication.

----

There may also be a minor bug where a half built floor counts for certain value / beauty indicators, so if you have a half built floor over another type of flooring they both count and if you watch the new flooring get finished, the impressiveness of the room would be going down (old floor gets hidden).

I'd have to confirm that's really the way it works though.

ahowe42

Thanks everyone.  The reason I saw the decrease in beauty must, in fact, be because I was putting nice hardwood floor over smoothed stone.  Seems a little odd, but whatever :-).

Andrew

Alenerel

Quote from: carbon on December 15, 2016, 08:07:09 AM

As to why that's the case (e.g. tile < smoothed), it mainly has to do with the difficulty of obtaining said type of floor. Wood is cheap, renewable and often in abundance.

Its ironic since Im pretty stubborn in some things and one of the things is to always put wood tiles in the dinning room. In my ice sheet play I ended up after several years creating some greenhouses to get trees just to put tiles there, yet it was still a plan +0 in beauty :( In these conditions should be the same level as gold, even more lol

carbon

It kind of would be nice if there was a special "Stained hardwood floor" or some such that represented a pretty wood floor. It would require extra work and maybe a special trade-for-only wood stain component, to make it balanced.

By comparison, the existing flooring is probably just planks thrown on the ground. Watch out for splinters! (there are no shoes)

---
Anyway, improvement ideas should be directed to the suggestions subforum if you want them to be real.

Serenity

Yeah, some rebalance of the flooring would be nice. Smoothed floor only being available in mountains is not that much of a balance. It takes long, but in the long run it's not really that much work.

bclewis

Quote from: Serenity on December 15, 2016, 02:35:31 PM
Yeah, some rebalance of the flooring would be nice. Smoothed floor only being available in mountains is not that much of a balance. It takes long, but in the long run it's not really that much work.

It also requires 0 resources (besides time), and helps train your colonists.  I agree it seems slightly OP.

keylocke

not to mention that mountain bases are practically all about smooth floors.

Grishnerf

concrete tiles should be 0 instead of -1
(it is silly that i have to build wooden tiles/carpets or worked Stone tiles around my fields for best beauty Bonus. concrete should be enough to negate any negative Beauty value.)

wooden tiles/smoothed should be 1 
(smoothed like above already said, costs nothing and trains your pawns. has the same worth as wood for me. one is better outdoor =Wood, one better indoor =stonefloors)

carpet should be 2
(growing time + kinda expensive ressource when you need it for clothes/medicine instead)

worked Stone tiles 3
(miningtime + Stone cutting time + worktime + )

but thats easy doable in the defs. changing some numbers if i wanted too.
feels just kinda "wrong" that concrete gives negative value.

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Andy_Dandy

Wooden floor tiles can't be properly balanced before they are made flamable. Then they can get the +2 beauty. They need a proper downside due to being so easely and quickly produced. A mortar granade and up in flames!

MikeLemmer

Quote from: bclewis on December 15, 2016, 02:39:54 PM

It also requires 0 resources (besides time), and helps train your colonists.  I agree it seems slightly OP.

Yeah, tiled floors take up a lot of resources. And frankly mountain bases don't need the extra incentive.

Mutineer

But I want to point out something. Actually true, building floors can cause beauty to go sharply down. Reason is cleaning. Dirt floor is just dirt floor and can not become dirtier, except if splash some blood. Dirt on good floor looks really bad. So, it tend to be a bad idea to build floors before your have spear work force to do clearing.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 16, 2016, 03:02:08 AM
Quote from: bclewis on December 15, 2016, 02:39:54 PM

Yeah, tiled floors take up a lot of resources. And frankly mountain bases don't need the extra incentive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tiled floor may add to the luxurious enviroment factor (even if just stone tiles), and smoothed floor not? It certainly adds more valuable stuff to the room. This is how I imagine some balance between smoothed floor and tiled.