No sound (Debian 8.6)

Started by steve_v, December 16, 2016, 11:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_v

No audio whatsoever in game. Log attached.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

milon

Is this the first time you're trying RimWorld, or has sound worked in the past?

Have you tested any other Unity games?

What version of RimWorld are you running? Also, Steam or DRM-free?

steve_v

Quote from: milon on December 17, 2016, 08:23:30 AMIs this the first time you're trying RimWorld, or has sound worked in the past?
First run.

QuoteHave you tested any other Unity games?
Yes, at least two other games I have tested exhibit similar problems. Common factor is Unity version 5.0<<5.4.

QuoteWhat version of RimWorld are you running? Also, Steam or DRM-free?
A15, no steam.

Probably related to this bug.

Hiding libpulse-simple.so from the game at runtime (prevents crashes in bug linked, Unity should fall back to ALSA) does not appear to work here, no crash, but still no sound. This method worked perfectly (with sound) for Kerbal Space Program when it was running 5.3.

I will not run pulseaudio just for Unity, unless you can suggest a method where it will not interfere with my desktop (KDE) or other applications seeing raw ALSA devices, as I have a complex audio route defined there.

milon

Sounds like it's a Unity bug. To my knowledge, that means Tynan won't be able to fix it within RimWorld. It's definitely WAY out of my depth - I'm not a Linux guy. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you.

steve_v

Quote from: milon on December 19, 2016, 04:54:00 AM
Sounds like it's a Unity bug. To my knowledge, that means Tynan won't be able to fix it within RimWorld.
I'm pretty sure it is a Unity bug, and one that has already been fixed. The solution is to upgrade to >=5.4.
I would love to actually buy this game (rather than the unofficial "trial" found on the interwebs), as it looks pretty cool. Since no sound without pulseaudio, guess I'll just delete it instead. :(

Mese

Im also having this problem .. posted the below earlier in the Bugs section

So I played my game earlier today (alpha 15 , modded to hell) and it worked perfectly

Cut to just now , went to play my game and Steam auto-updated it to alpha 16 (grrrr) so ive lost my alpha 15 colony which I was enjoying playing

I remove all the mods , close the game completely and reopen ... and theres zero sound ingame , nothing at all , no music on the opening screen , no music or sound effects at all in the  new game I just started, zilch

Please help ... and bear in mind I have no techie skills whatsoever

Edited to add ... ive since uninstalled rimworld and reinstalled , still have the zero sound thing

Calahan

Quote from: Mese on December 20, 2016, 10:51:24 PM
...went to play my game and Steam auto-updated it to alpha 16 (grrrr) so ive lost my alpha 15 colony which I was enjoying playing
If you want to keep playing your A15 game after Steam's auto-update, then there should be an option under the beta tab that allows you to select A15 and go back to that version.

Mese

Quote from: Calahan on December 21, 2016, 03:12:55 AMIf you want to keep playing your A15 game after Steam's auto-update, then there should be an option under the beta tab that allows you to select A15 and go back to that version.

Dammit ... I already deleted the saved game and all the mods :(

Good to know for next time though , Thanks :)

Calahan

Quote from: Mese on December 21, 2016, 05:38:45 AM
Dammit ... I already deleted the saved game and all the mods :(
Have you checked in the "Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios" folder for the saves?

Mentioning this as I noticed the location for the RimWorld local files have moved from the above + "RimWorld" to the above + "RimWorld by Ludeon Studios" for A16. So if your old save files are not showing up on the load game screen from within A16 , then they might still be on your computer, it's just that A16 can't see them as it's looking in a different place for them. You will have to navigate to the old folder manually though, as the in-game option to open the save folder will take you to the new location, not the old one.

I don't use mods (or know anything about their saving paths), so don't know if they'll still be there (but I'll be surprised if they're not still available somewhere. On these forums if no longer available on Steam).