Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkfish

With Alpha 3 released, I decided to casually test all of the features and build an extravagant, form-over-function, colony to post here. I opted to play Friendly Phoebe for the easy life because bollocks to doing something like this on Randy Random.

Anyway, I bring you... Herpy Town.

It started off small with the colony moving into some nearby ruins, where they stayed for 30+ days...

I didn't capture any screenshots early on, so you're seeing it mid-deconstruction whilst moving everyone into the newly built Town Hall.

Closeup of the kitchen and dining area.

Comms area. Also used for storing silver:

Growing area with a weapons room to the side. I believe this to be the most space-efficient way to run several hydroponics tables.

Graveyard and battery area. 39Wd storage gives me plenty of headroom:

Some visitors also came to admire my small collection of dead people:

Stonecutter's table and storage. You can also see 3 of the 4 the "visitors' quarters" and another gun store room, as well as the Orbital Trade Beacon in the centre of a launchpad.

General storage. You can also see an area of natural Agave that I kept clear and allowed to spread.

Heavy munitions and Radioactive material storage:

(I wanted to draw a radiation pattern in the carpet, but it doesn't work so this was the best approximation I could come up with)

Just in case that does go all Chernobyl, there's a hospital:

Purely decorative, although having a proper medical area to treat wounded colonists would be awesome. Tynan, pls.

Powerstation 1.

Just out of shot to the S/SW are the ruins in which the colony started. The steam vent really helped in getting the colony on its feet power wise. The additional steam vent to the north was found later on when mining metal.

Powerstation2, out in the middle of nowhere with a rock firebreak:

A football pitch!

I don't even like football.  :-\

A quaint cul-de-sac, yesterday.

The Town Hall:

The whole thing:

Fin. :D

(Please, if you're going to quote/reply, don't copy the whole post with pictures. Nobody needs to see that shit twice.)
<insert witty signature here>

Tynan

The football pitch made me laugh. I had to tweet it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Monkfish

renwold

Wow, Monk, this is impressive, I really need to step up my game! Most of my 'decor' tends to be the burnt-out husk of yesterday's colony  ;)

My take-away, though? Stone firebreaks.
RimWorld Let's Play Collection
Thanks for watching, I'll see you next time!
Renwold|@RenwoldPlays|Ren Plays (Youtube)

StorymasterQ

Quote from: renwold on April 14, 2014, 09:00:39 PM
My take-away, though? Stone firebreaks.

Indeed. I've always done with two lanes of concrete, but I suppose stone would do.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Ender

beautiful. simply brilliant, i think that's why all mine end up looking too bad to post, they are on randy random, therefor are way too militaristic, and always have way too much to do then to try and look fancy.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Xanting

My town on randy random. Even with the new planning tool im so indecisive about where to put walls and I also dont build anything over soil if i can help it. The result is a sorta organic looking town although there still not enough houses for every colonist currently

http://i.imgur.com/93znUGP.jpg

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Xanting on April 15, 2014, 03:09:41 AM
My town on randy random. Even with the new planning tool im so indecisive about where to put walls and I also dont build anything over soil if i can help it. The result is a sorta organic looking town although there still not enough houses for every colonist currently

http://i.imgur.com/93znUGP.jpg
Awesome base there! :D
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Somz

They just don't want to go down, ever. *Cassandra Classic*

To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Dr. Z

Could someone tell me how this works, when I press insert image there's just this:
[ img] [/img ]
Prasie the Squirrel!

Monkfish

You paste the link to the image within the [IMG] tags. The image will need to be hosted somewhere online that's publicly accessible. I use Dropbox or my own web hosting.

Dr. Z

Here's my second Alpha 3 colony after 56 days.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Neone

You need to make your image public and provide a link :) This image is restricted only to your account ;)

Dr. Z

I made it public, does it work now?
Prasie the Squirrel!