Colorblind Problem with World Map

Started by Listen1, December 20, 2016, 02:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Hey everyone!

This is kind of a personal request, I just fired the new A16 world map to form a caravan and... I spent almost 5 minutes to find my colony in the World and had to ask for someone else come and help me. They spotted the difference right away, but I was unable to do it.

The colors for the "houses/colonies" are Blue, Light blue, and something like purple.

Would it be possible to change the symbol for the colony or make it bigger and in a different color?

Thank you for reading, I hope I'm the only one with this problem!

DaemonDeathAngel

I had the same issue but wasnt going to point it out because I usually dont like being the one to make special requests because of my colorblindness.

carbon

Quote from: Listen1 on December 20, 2016, 02:50:57 PM
The colors for the "houses/colonies" are Blue, Light blue, and something like purple.

Would it be possible to change the symbol for the colony or make it bigger and in a different color?

Even if you're not colorblind, differentiation of the player home by more than just the shade of blue would be useful.

Right now all of the factions and their bases feel nearly identical. Anything to make them stand out more would be a plus.

I find myself having to look up whether it's the light-greenish-yellow-tribe or the light-yellowish-green-tribe that I'm currently at war with way too often.

MisterVertigo

Something like faction logos would be awesome. There could be a folder with a bunch of generic logos in it and a faction could randomly pick one. Then their bases on the map would be indicated by the logo instead of the same icon. If anyone has played the Galactic Civilization games, it's kind of how they do it with the minor races. They get a random logo. This would even allow the player to choose one if they like!

Maybe this would be a good mod idea...
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Listen1

I believe that this is also a good idea, oddly enough I don't have a problem with the faction colors.

But yeah, something like that would feel great

crunch

+1, exactly the same problem here - I cannot seperate similar colors...

trevorm

+1

I've just come here because I'm totally unable to find my home base on the world map - please give it a different symbol.

OK, I'll go back now and click on everything that looks blue/purple until I find it...

ribot

I don't see this as a colorblind issue (I'm not colorblind). I find it odd that home should be hard to find at all. Had to search the internets to be able to find it, and it's still not userfriendly.

How about highlighting home with a glow?

There could also be a dotted line towards home, to get a feeling of how far away from home a certain place is. The number of days could even be displayed close to the mouse pointer. If this tool is too obtrusive it could be possible to toggle on and off.