Broken mood system still hasn't been fixed in A16.

Started by vampiresoap, December 20, 2016, 06:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

Jump to 26:50 in this walkthrough video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmyi9FQR54

And see how colonists are already killing each other on THEIR FIRST NIGHT of surviving together in the wild. This shit makes no sense.

This was "only" a social fight, but yeah, the berserk mood set still makes no sense. Normal people just don't go on a killing spree when they are sad, only psychopaths do that.

GiantSpaceHamster

A couple of thoughts. First, i think it totally makes sense for two of your colonists to get into a fist fight the first night they are unexpectedly stranded together on an unknown world with only a few bare minimum resources and forced to try and build a home to survive. That has got to be mega stressful.

Having said that, my other thought is that fist fights are too often lethal. It feels like half of all fist fights end in a death. That could be toned down a bit. Maybe there needs to be a lesser version of a brawl that differs from all-out melee against raiders or other known hostiles.

vampiresoap

No, when you have no shelter, little to no food and are surrounded by hostile animals, your survival instincts kick in and you'll do anything to survive. That should be their top priority, not their fricking feelings. It just goes to show how fragile Rimworld colonists are. They are basically just a bunch of green-hair liberal college kids who constantly accuse people of offending them and demand "safe spaces".

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: vampiresoap on December 20, 2016, 08:04:57 PM
No, when you have no shelter, little to no food and are surrounded by hostile animals, your survival instincts kick in and you'll do anything to survive. That should be their top priority, not their fricking feelings. It just goes to show how fragile Rimworld colonists are. They are basically just a bunch of green-hair liberal collage kids who constantly accuse people of offending them and demand "safe spaces".

Just to clarify...you first describe how (in your opinion) their reaction is unrealistic, followed immediately by an analogy to real-world people.

Not everyone will react to that kind of a situation the same way. Also, what you are describing is more about adrenaline and reacting to short-term dangers. Long term dangers like being stranded in the wild require longer term mental fortitude. Some people may deal with it well and be productive. Others might crumble and start fights. Maybe it's because he is having trouble coping. Maybe it's a power-play to try and assert himself as an authority figure. There could be any number of reasons. Personally I am surprised that more fights don't break out on the first couple nights.

Short of referencing a psych study it's all subjective. I recommend focusing more on whether or not the game is fun and balanced rather than realism.

ArguedPiano

Social fights have nothing to do with the mood system. It has to do with the compatibility rating and what each pawn thinks of the other (it can be between -100 and +100)

I think you are misunderstanding two mechanics at play here.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Spdskatr

Think of this...

You came home from a car crash with a broken leg. Then you find your house burned down with your entire family in them. Suddenly from behind you, thieves quickly steal your wallet and phone. You want to call the police, but the phone line is down. You are still in withdrawal from alcohol addiction. What do you do?

I don't think you would describe yourself as just "sad".

Remember, in RimWorld, there's no law, no road rules, no fire brigade, no ambulance, no counselling service...

And also, no people are alike. Even if you don't go berserk or commit suicide, others may.

Jeez im dark
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

BoogieMan

There needs to be some consideration not only on the backgrounds of the pawns involved, but also for the melee skill of both parties involved, as well as bionics and perhaps armor.

Someone who doesn't have all the worst social traits shouldn't pick a fist fight with a melee master brawler with powerclaws for hands, for example. They should get a penalty for being powerless against the source of their frustrations, and the stronger party a bonus for making someone else back down.

vampiresoap

Quote from: ArguedPiano on December 20, 2016, 09:12:11 PM
Social fights have nothing to do with the mood system. It has to do with the compatibility rating and what each pawn thinks of the other (it can be between -100 and +100)

I think you are misunderstanding two mechanics at play here.

The happier they are, the less likely they start social fights. It is pretty observable by just playing the game on extreme difficulty. (Especially if you keep them drunk and drugged all the time and they never start any shit) Unless they changed that too in Alpha 16.

Ramsis

No, when you have no shelter, little to no food and are surrounded by hostile animals, your survival instincts kick in and you'll do anything to survive. That should be their top priority, not their fricking feelings. It just goes to show how fragile Rimworld colonists are. They are basically just a bunch of green-hair liberal college kids who constantly accuse people of offending them and demand "safe spaces".

OUCH! I pricked my finger on all that edge you've got going. Keep the viewpoints to yourself there friend.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

vampiresoap

Quote from: Ramsis on December 20, 2016, 10:38:43 PM

OUCH! I pricked my finger on all that edge you've got going. Keep the viewpoints to yourself there friend.

Okay, fine o_O

LordMunchkin

The mood system is working as intended but fist fights are too lethal with pawns who are experienced melee fighters. The worst case I've had is one melee master with a cybernetic arm kill 3 people. They were new recruits so I didn't really mind but when he blinded my best doctor I had to put him down.

vampiresoap

I'm really hoping that some kind of tranquilizer guns will be added into the game...Those will be soo helpful in this kind of situations. But then again, people aren't supposed to be going on killing sprees in the first place. Only psychopaths should have a chance to do that. That way you can either reject pawns with the psychopath trait when they want to join your colony or simply never give them melee weapons.

BoogieMan

A Counselor job would be helpful. Someone who can go around and talk to people who are in a bad mental shape and help balance them out.

Headshotkill

SHOTS FIRED But in the right direction to be honest... °_°

Bozobub

Quote from: BoogieMan on December 21, 2016, 06:15:09 AM
A Counselor job would be helpful. Someone who can go around and talk to people who are in a bad mental shape and help balance them out.
This.  It would also give a LOT more utility to social-specialized characters, beyond sheriff/trade rep ::) .
Thanks, belgord!