Water

Started by mcawesome, December 22, 2016, 08:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcawesome

So I find it odd that with so many survival elements, water is not one of them. Does anyone know if this is going to be added? Something like hand operated wells/electric wells, storage tanks, water catchment system etc.

Just curious thanks!

Alenerel

Sounds interesting but it could add an unneeded headache to add another need, still I think that its worth a try.

Now Im not sure if Tynan already tried it in his dev build or if he already discarded the idea after thinking it.

piranha

Absolutly! And i would also love to be able to do some fishing in the water, have people drown in there and have some flooding after heavy rainfall!
Btw.. why don't we have toilets?

I guess there are still endless things that could be added to the game :)

Lys

1. Open the search
2. Type "water" in search field
3. Choose board to search in -> "Suggestions"
3. ? ? ?
4. Profit

mcawesome

Quote from: piranha on December 22, 2016, 09:29:58 AM
Absolutly! And i would also love to be able to do some fishing in the water, have people drown in there and have some flooding after heavy rainfall!
Btw.. why don't we have toilets?

I guess there are still endless things that could be added to the game :)

I guess youre right, there is a lot that could be added! I didnt even think of toilets till now. My guess is their digestive track is 100% efficient.

mcawesome

Quote from: Lys on December 22, 2016, 11:14:23 AM
1. Open the search
2. Type "water" in search field
3. Choose board to search in -> "Suggestions"
3. ? ? ?
4. Profit

Are you telling me there was already this suggestion or that I should myself suggest it? Because that sounds like a lot of work.

Bozobub

It's far more work to actually implement the change, is it not?
Thanks, belgord!

LordMunchkin

People have been suggesting water for years. Honestly though, I'd rather have non-combat roles expanded than another survival mechanic added.

MikeLemmer

Yeah, it feels like there's enough survival mechanics already in the game that worrying about water as well would just be too much. Food already covers daily survival concerns quite well. The main effect adding water management would have would be to limit the locations you can build a thriving base at.

Elixiar

I'd rather see water explored in terms of 'water powered generators, moats, sea raids (Viking style), transport etc.

I think toilets is abit far. I don't want to play the sims. Though having no some generalised dependence on water would be really nice. For instance if water was required as good source, fresh water springs, sea filtration and water holes and wells would be really cool to see. Would also add another layer of depth to playing in desert regions.

Also, rain collection.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Listy

Quote from: piranha on December 22, 2016, 09:29:58 AM
Absolutly! And i would also love to be able to do some fishing in the water,

And then when you're guy is fishing you'd get a red event saying something like

"Bob chose a fishing spot that was in the territory of a MegaHippo. This has enraged the MegaHippo."
That spawns a MegaHippo, in the water close to the Colonist whose fishing, and the MegaHippo has the Manhunter condition.

Come on you know that's how Tynan's mind works.

Headshotkill

There's a Mars mod that has implemented both the need to empty bladder/bowls and a need for hygiƫne.
To be honest it works really well and boosted realism a lot for me, the only thing is that the mod hasn't implemented alternatives to a functioning toilet or shower. There should be primitive options so you don't have to build an expensive shower/sewage system right away with the little resources you have.

Xolotle

While I agree that water as another survival mechanism is a little much, I'm disappointed that water is really nothing more then a barrier. I know that Fish industries mod, but it seems like it would be common sense to utilize water as a potential resource in the vanilla game. Fishing, Irrigation, Transport, Leisure.. There's just so much potential for water resources in the game.

PieroSgri

Tynan expressed himself more than once about the balance between realism and fun.
If the game is really accurate it will be fun only for a restricted group of strategy game fanatics.
If the game is only for fun and casual it will be played only by raging kid or casual gamers.

The thing I liked more about Rimworld indeed is its balance between complexity and fun.
I like the idea behind dwarf fortress but really... It's just too much! Way over the top!
Tynan gifted this midway to us which for me is pure GOLD!

After this, if you read that far... Drinking and Toilet would be a nice addition to realism but I think scavenge water along with food will just give headache always monitoring stockpile and resource.
Also, I dont know about you, but a lot of people (myself included) play on harsh environment like sea ice, tundra, desert, extreme desert; in those biome caring about water too will be just so tedious.

On the other hand, I'm okay with fishing, and/or actually doing something with those lake on the map, or if you choose the tileset with the water on one side.

Catastrophy

Not really interested in managing water items, rather than water, it's flow and further uses. It's just like lava after all. Kind of.